Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

If you had your fuel injectors replaced, please select the best response:

• Factory VCM active, and using Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Factory VCM active, and using NON-Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Disabled VCM (S-VCM, Muzzler, VCMTuner, etc), and using Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Disabled VCM (S-VCM, Muzzler, VCMTuner, etc), and using NON-Top-Tier Gasoline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This poll is ONLY for individuals that have had their fuel injectors replaced. I'm trying to determine if there is a link between VCM
operations, and also if quality of the gasoline could be contributing factors to the injector failures. Honda's position is its a
manufacturing particle contamination issues from its subcontractor causing these injectors to fail. I can not believe after 3 years they
still have not solved a manufacturing problem with 2019 models now failing. Its my opinion that something else is going on with these
Earth Dream direct injection engines. Could VCM operations be causing oil misting in the deactivated cylinders, which then contaminate
the injector surface which maybe collects carbon particle residue that then bakes onto the injector thus disrupting the spray pattern? I
know that's really grasping.

Please include a post with any additional information from your repair receipt. Such as: DTC codes, misfire in Bank 1 or Bank 2, misfire
in a particular cylinder.

Examples:

DTC
P0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 2])
P030X (misfire) Where 'X" is the cylinder number
P219A (air-fuel ratio variation of cylinder [bank 1, rear bank])
P219B (air-fuel ratio variation of cylinder [bank 2, front bank])

I'm trying to determine if there is any action we can do to prevent the problem. Or is this just going to be a out of warranty money
maker for Honda?

MOD's please make this a sticky for awhile to collect data. Thank you

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Received the P0430 code (2017 RL) roughly around 28k had the software updated then got it again around 33k. Dealership ran air fuel test saw that all the cylinders failed rich and replaced all the injectors.
I use the S-VCM but had the muzzle 2 before that. Switched around 20k mikes and had the muzzled almost from the start. I also use top tier as much as possible but have on the occasion gotten the stuff on base which is probably the cheapest bidder.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
To be honest, I had to look up the definition of 'top tier' gasoline, it's not really advertised as such around me. After going to the top tier website, I'm not sure there are very many brands that aren't, even COSTCO is on the list (Kirkland). I use branded gas about 80% of the time, primarily Sunoco and Shell. I sometime buy gas on base, or stop at 'no ethanol' stations for a fill up. I doubt there is enough variance across the different fuel blends to drive this problem.

I asked to see my old injectors when they were replaced under warranty about 6 months ago and there was no visual difference among the different injectors. I'm willing to believe it's a manufacturing issue. That it is still lingering after several years of engine production tells me the spec requirements may not be consistently achievable, or testable by the manufacturers. That would mean there is a design problem, at least relative to manufacturing capabilities.

In the meantime I may just need to consider extending my extended warranty.

MP

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can’t recall the code, but my injectors were replaced at 36025 miles. Dealer covered it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
why isn't there a recall for this?!

my dealer said that because i have a AEM cold air intake that's why the injectors are rich and that they wont do anything as the air intake voids them!! crazy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just curious what the cost is to replace them out of warranty? I'll probably hit 36 months with less than 20k miles on mine. I know price varies by dealer, but curious what people have paid.

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Because the injector failure does not present a significant safety risk. At worst, you'll have an annoying warning light and message and may not pass an emissions test.

Now, if the injector failure was so bad that engines were stalling on the freeway, it might be a recall.

Just curious what the cost is to replace them out of warranty? I'll probably hit 36 months with less than 20k miles on mine. I know price varies by dealer, but curious what people have paid.
Much more information can be found in the thread below.

·
Registered
563 Posts
yea im done with honda dealerships anyways, looking for an independant shop that works on hondas and knows them well.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

my dealer said that because i have a AEM cold air intake that's why the injectors are rich and that they wont do anything as the air intake voids them!! crazy.
It seems to me that Honda's sensors and computer programming should match the correct amount of fuel to the amount of air entering the engine, regardless of how it enters. Maybe Honda would like to know if the dealer is saying its engine can't handle it?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Please clarify -

When you took your RL in and the dealer told you this, were you still within the original 36mo / 36k miles basic warranty on your 2017 RTL-T?

Did diagnostics indicate you needed replacement injectors at that time, or was this a speculative discussion?

Are you in the USA? Are you in California or one of the 'California emissions rules' states?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Please clarify -

When you took your RL in and the dealer told you this, were you still within the original 36mo / 36k miles basic warranty on your 2017 RTL-T?

Did diagnostics indicate you needed replacement injectors at that time, or was this a speculative discussion?

Are you in the USA? Are you in California or one of the 'California emissions rules' states?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.
I was out of warranty due to mileage at the time (but that shouldn't matter).. i dont remember exactly but it was a "speculative discussion" they told me the sensors were reading a rich mixture that was just barely outside the normal that were causing emissions system check engine light error.. the guy at the service desk told me something along the lines of "its probably due to your AEM cold air intake, blah blah.." so i just dismissed it as that, but this was probably in the spring of this year. I am in Wisconsin, have 80k miles on now already and currently no check engine light for the emissions, or any issue.

Has anyone changed injectors? is this a hard thing to do yourself ive never done that before.. is it comparable to changing spark plugs in difficulty?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Just had mine replaced. I have a 2017 with 44K on it. I have mostly used Shell gas. Had the emission system problem warning on my dash. The truck had code P0430 when checked.
Parts are listed as Injector set 16010-RLV-315 PK18-025 and
Pipe set 16012-R9P-315

Honda covered some of my repair, roughly 2/3rds of it, as a goodwill warranty credit.

I paid $551.63 out of pocket to get it fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts