Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Maintainace Minder Oil Changes - Yes or No?

• First time Honda owner and will follow Honda's MM recommendation

Votes: 47 35.3%
  • First time Honda owner and will change oil on my own schedule

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Long time Honda owner and will follow Honda's MM recommendation

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Long time Honda owner and will change oil on my own schedule

Votes: 21 15.8%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current discussion on oil changes has me wondering how many of us trust Honda's computer calculated Maintainance Minder technology enough to follow it's recommendations. Hence the poll.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting article, shortspark. It takes into consideration even more criteria than I thought it did.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'll be putting my trust in HAL.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the oil life monitors on other cars? GM's had them out for a while, but I never had one. Are they on other Hondas?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hazcat said:
Has anyone had experience with the oil life monitors on other cars? GM's had them out for a while, but I never had one. Are they on other Hondas?
There are several Honda's now that have the OLM/HAL. The 2006 Civic is one of them, and the Civic Hybrid group on Yahoo is all worried that it means they have to change their oil sooner. And one person even went so far as to say what would stop a dealership from throwing the Ridgeline HAL into the Civic to force earlier changes. I thought it was funny myself.

I am not the least bit worried about it. I will use HAL, if something goes wrong I will argue till it gets fixed. I am pretty secure in the fact that Honda is not going to put something like this in their cars, especially one of their most popular vehicles, without some major thought into it. It would definitely leave them very exposed.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hazcat said:
My wife's 2006 Civic Si has its own MM, but we just got it, so no idea when it's first oil change will occur. Based on her mileage, we may end up having to change oil etc at its one year anniversary instead of mileage! But we'll have to see. If I get to drive it much this summer (for my summer work I travel all over the country) then we may have higher mileage.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
7,100 miles for my 1st oil change oil meter read <15%. I will trust Honda, and their engineers who designed the vehicle, they know alot more about cars than me, or anyone else...

·
Registered
179 Posts
As long as the system is designed to actually measure the state of the current oil's viscosity and contamination..it seems reasonable that it would be far better then just pulling a number (3,000 miles) out of thin air and believing that will be the exact point when your oil is breaking down and should be replaced.

Driving condition and weather play a part in how much life you are going to get out of your oil. I’d rather put my faith in something that is actually checking the state of MY oil in MY truck …not just a guess based upon some average.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts