The Northeast and other parts of the country are in a drought. Until very recently my truck had not even driven through the rain, never mind sand and salt. I think the odds of corrosion beginning in a drought condition are not high. My truck is among those that is being recalled but I'm going to delay as long as possible in bringing it in, in hopes that it will begin to display the signs of initial corrosion — if it's ever going to. Also an important point about the recall: it doesn't appear that they're doing anything to protect the vulnerable connection from future incursion of water. They don't talk about covering it, sealing it, or rerouting it. Until there is some definite sense that they will add preventive measures as part of the recall, I'm going delay as long as possible. I'm also considering getting an extended warranty, but I don't know if that would protect from this problem now.