Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Do you have *rear seat area* leaks and roof racks??

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a few posts about people with water getting into the back seat area... I also read a post about how someone thought this was related to the grommets that are used when the roof rack is installed. So, now I'm curious... FYI, I haven't discovered any leaks in my RL as of yet, but it's been pretty dry here in SoCal since July (big shock there, eh?)...

I didn't put "no leaks" as an option because that would change the results of my poll... just interested in the whole roof rack thing and whether or not it relates to the leaky interior...

·
Registered
668 Posts
flymuck said:
I've been reading a few posts about people with water getting into the back seat area... I also read a post about how someone thought this was related to the grommets that are used when the roof rack is installed. So, now I'm curious... FYI, I haven't discovered any leaks in my RL as of yet, but it's been pretty dry here in SoCal since July (big shock there, eh?)...

I didn't put "no leaks" as an option because that would change the results of my poll... just interested in the whole roof rack thing and whether or not it relates to the leaky interior...
what about those of us who are not sure where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question... if the leak is in the rear area, then respond to the poll... if it's in the front, let's chalk that up to some of the other discovered and unknown possibilities...

My poll's not getting much love... maybe few people have the rear area leak?

Ew, that sounded kinda gross, now that I think about it... :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
No rear leaks here. That is gross.

·
Registered
333 Posts
flymuck said:

There are several instances of this problem on page 6 of Trouble in Paradise, and I haven't run across any solutions yet, or anyone that has had the rear leak looked at, specifically. (But then, I haven't been thru the whole thread...)
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693&page=6&highlight=paradise
After I posted, we have had 3 days of heavy rain, I've been driving and parked, but my leak has NOT come back!
Go figure, now what do I do?:(

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I did install the RR on my RL and did have a back seat swimming pool (notice past tense) way back in March. Sice then she has been nice and dry and we have had buckets of rain coming down over the last week.

The TSB on the leak, although I would rather be known for something else, was initially driven by and tested on my RL back in March and it was all about a bad seal and a block of sound dampner that needed mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I just found a swimming pool in the back set of my 1 month old truck.
I do not remember paying for this option.
I found a link from Honda that says to drill holes in the A pillar noise block. http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1127977200000_1129100400000_05-045/451.html
If you have had this problem and tried this fix I am curious to see if it worked.
It seems like a crude fix!
I also noticed my back carpet is a little stained, so this must have happened before and dried.

Till I get it fixed I will just work on my back stroke.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
No water in my vehicle so far, I think we need to work on the polls so that those of use without troubles can vote that we have no problems. I don't like not being able to vote in polls, I feel left out :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Have Dealer Roofrack. No leaks front, back or otherwise. Knocking on Wood.
Love my Ridgeline!!!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RidgelineCanada said:
Hello I just found a swimming pool in the back set of my 1 month old truck.
I do not remember paying for this option.
I found a link from Honda that says to drill holes in the A pillar noise block. http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1127977200000_1129100400000_05-045/451.html
If you have had this problem and tried this fix I am curious to see if it worked.
It seems like a crude fix!
I also noticed my back carpet is a little stained, so this must have happened before and dried.

Till I get it fixed I will just work on my back stroke.

Thanks
Hey RC, the TSB you pointed to is for the front passenger leak... do you think the water you found in the rear area came from the front? Did you notice if the front passenger floor was wet too?

I agree, the TSB's proposed solution to drill a hole to just let the water through to the outside seems like a bad, stupid solution. Totally haxx0rz.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
captmiddy said:
No water in my vehicle so far, I think we need to work on the polls so that those of use without troubles can vote that we have no problems. I don't like not being able to vote in polls, I feel left out :D
Hey capt'n... part of the reason why I left off "no leak" people is because it could just mean "no leaks yet", hence throwing off the results... I don't like to be left out either, but frankly, I'm left out of my own poll, since I have discovered no leaks (yet!!!) as well! :D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Funny (odd, funny, not "HAHAHA" funny) - I read this post on Friday night in the hotel room in Cleveland. Saturday morning, we were at the new Walgreens (open less than a week) and ran into a wife & husband w/ their new, 2 week old truck. They did NOT have a roof rack, but DO have the leak in the back. I specifically told them about this thread. They were interested in the group but couldn't make the meet as they were in town celebrating their anniversary. They have a blue RL, but don't know specific model (no Navi).

I did not vote on this as I have no leak (as of yet), and didn't want to vote for them.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very interesting, ridgeln, thanks for posting. I guess it means that what I read on the other thread might be only part of the reason why there is sometimes a leak in the rear seat area. If people have leaks back there and they don't have a roof rack (four so far!!), then there's either more than one reason for the rear seat leaks, or the real cause hasn't been found yet.

Thanks everyone for posting & voting... I think with everyone's help we can get the problem nailed down for those who are experiencing it... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't! :D

edit: looked at the poll results to amend my statement above -- 4 people have the rear seat area but no roof rack... can anyone else suggest something that might be interesting to look at for this problem, like the XM antenna perhaps? color? ;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
While I doubt it is color, it could easily be the areas where the antennas go through the metal - the plastic antenna cover (for AM/FM radio, not XM) at the top/back of the roof comes of relatively easily - but I wouldn't suggest it unless you've got the Honda tool for putting it back on. There are a number of spots that if not properly sealed, would easily leak, but I would assume that one would see water damage to the head liner as well as water on the carpet. This is a weird one.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Ridgeline was dropped off this morning for water in the rear seat area and it was also wet up on the passenger front side. We had heavy rains on Saturday and this morning there was a puddle in the backseat area on the floor. My driveway is on an incline so there's a chance it's coming in the front and running back. The dealership said they found the leak and are going to pull apart the interior and dry it out with fans and try to dry out the carpet. I told them if it stinks they will be replacing my carpet. I should be getting it back tommorrow evening or Wednesday. I'll pass on what they did to fix the problem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool, thanks KC. Maybe we should be asking if people who have the problem have been parking or driving on inclines in the rain...

Ridgeln, I agree it could be something with the antenna on the roof, esp. for the people who have seen the water droplets on the plastic towers on the sides... the color thing was a joke, in reference to my lack of enthusiasm for two other polls that tried to equate water leaks and other problems with color, without doing it scientifically... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have no leaks in the front-NEVER did and never did the service bulletin on it.
I was in the bed the other day and looked at the rear window seal. On each corner there are pockets where the seal isnt sititng flush against the rear window. Whatcha guys think about that? think it could be coming from there?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts