Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What trim level did you buy?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
While the RTL-E has the features I want, I would go for the Black Edition simply because the all-black hides at least some of the design sins - and that might be worth paying for. The BE's red leather perforations do nothing for me one way or another and I don't like red interior lighting - it's a passenger vehicle not a darkroom where I'm developing film.
We humans are strange creatures. A month ago, I said I'd buy a Black Edition to hide the Ridgeline's design. However, I ended up buying a white RTL-E for the opposite reason. Three months ago, I said I'd never buy any G2 because of the armrests (which I still don't like).

· Registered
970 Posts
Don't like black...
I have mixed feelings on the colors. First I wanted a blue (and test drove that color in a T because that is all they had to drive locally). I also looked at a sold BE that they had sitting to be PDI as that was another possibility for me originally.

Then I started thinking about interiors. I realized that I don't care as much about what the exterior looks like as what the interior looks like. That seems odd, I know, but mostly others see the outside, where I mostly see the inside, so inside is more important to me. Many of the interiors are rather "chopped up" color-wise. In fact, one pro reviewer called them a "cacophony of colors". Headliner one color, dash another, carpets yet another, seats a fourth, etc. The colors that are the best for this (least cacophonous) are the BE (very sharp, interior, BTW) and the plain black. One concern with the BE interior was that with the black exterior, it was, as some have said - "too much black". My other concern with the BE was the possibility (and it will be impossible to say if this concern is valid until one has had a BE for quite a long time, maybe years) that the black leather over red fabric seats might eventually pick up dirt and stains in the red fabric see-thru areas.

So what I chose was the MSM RTL-E because it was the only exterior that I liked that they make with the regular all black interior. So it has been bought and I am hoping it shows up at the dealer this week.

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
Speaking of interior trim, I wish Honda would have put some (simulated) wood somewhere inside. The trim piece on my CR-V's dash from side to side that divides the upper and lower sections of the dash is a very dark woodgrain. Much of the time, it looks glossy black, but when the light hits it just right it reveals a dark, convincing woodgrain pattern that is a nice visual treat and really adds an upscale look. The "piano black" trim used on the Ridgeline's steering wheel, dash, and shifter is an OCD person's nightmare when it comes to smudges and fine scratches.

· Registered
970 Posts
Speaking of interior trim, I wish Honda would have put some (simulated) wood somewhere inside.
Hmm..... I am a woodworker and have vacuum bag lamination equipment. Might be interesting to buy an extra trim part and see if I can do a real wood laminate somewhere. Have to look far a part where this would look good and laminate well (not too much curvature). Pretty common in some high end luxury cars to use book-matched veneers.

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thinking there is more new owners and this poll got lost due to the 4 different threads about the owners manual going on now:act060:.... New owners please vote.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
It seems to me these numbers reflect what& who Honda is targeting for the sales of the Ridgeline. The person who needs to drive during the week and wants/needs a truck on the weekend, is a person who is more likely to want the amenities the RTL-E has to offer while commuting.
Also it makes sense for them to make them more available early on so people who are looking at the RTL-T w/ AWD might just say screw it and upgrade - which doesn't hurt sales.

Of course I can be just speaking from who I am, I like the all the bells & whistles and want the car like comforts on my commute with the benefits of a truck when I need that too.

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
Got a RT, proud to be cheap!
Aww. You're the only one! That's okay, I'm sure someone will still come sit by you, anyway. :nerd:

There are actually a few advantages of the RT over other trims...

1. It's the most economical way to get into a Ridgeline - you still get most of the core features that make the Ridgeline unique.
2. The least number of electronic gadgets to fail and/or annoy.
3. Cheaper headlamp bulbs replacements compared to the RTL-E and BE.
4. By a tiny margin, it's faster and gets better fuel economy than the other trims because it weighs the least.

· Registered
441 Posts
Aww. You're the only one! That's okay, I'm sure someone will still come sit by you, anyway. :nerd:

There are actually a few advantages of the RT over other trims...

1. It's the most economical way to get into a Ridgeline - you still get most of the core features that make the Ridgeline unique.
2. The least number of electronic gadgets to fail and/or annoy.
3. Cheaper headlamp bulbs replacements compared to the RTL-E and BE.
4. By a tiny margin, it's faster and gets better fuel economy than the other trims because it weighs the least.
I think there are a lot more people coming once they drop the prices on RT/RTS's including myself.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,112 Posts
Speaking of interior trim, I wish Honda would have put some (simulated) wood somewhere inside. The trim piece on my CR-V's dash from side to side that divides the upper and lower sections of the dash is a very dark woodgrain. Much of the time, it looks glossy black, but when the light hits it just right it reveals a dark, convincing woodgrain pattern that is a nice visual treat and really adds an upscale look. The "piano black" trim used on the Ridgeline's steering wheel, dash, and shifter is an OCD person's nightmare when it comes to smudges and fine scratches.
Just from what I have gleaned from your posts--we think very much alike. I have tracked down a White/Black RTL-T that I am going to look at on Monday.

Also, I was just cleaning the piano black interior :grin:trim in my leased Sonata yesterday. Those smudges do bug me.

Reactions: zroger73

· Registered
141 Posts
Just from what I have gleaned from your posts--we think very much alike. I have tracked down a White/Black RTL-T that I am going to look at on Monday.

Also, I was just cleaning the piano black interior :grin:trim in my leased Sonata yesterday. Those smudges do bug me.
It's probably just me but I hate simulated wood in a vehicle. Glad they didn't do that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.