Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Ridgeline has very poor floor heat, almost no circulation despite trying just about every "mode" combination there is and shutting off the rear vents. In all floor modes, the amount of heat coming out of the dash vents is significant. I suspect this is not normal and that the dealer is going to have to fix. Anybody have this problem?

Craig

·
Registered
39 Posts
My floor heat is kind of poor too. I always have heat coming out of the side dash vents regardless of which mode I have it set on. This may be to defrost the side windows but it seems to come out way too strong. I end up having to shut the side vents completely.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Couldn't be happier with mine. I usually use the Auto setting, except when defrost is needed. There are no hot or cold spots and the cabin heats up very fast compared to other vehicles. I have not found it necessary to close any of the vents. We have had temperatures in the teens for the past few weeks and I have not noticed any problems at all. Just set the temperature and forget it. If yours is not working that way, something could be wrong.
Years ago, we had a Dodge Caravan. I complained that there was insufficient heating and cooling due to lack of any air flow. The kid that wrote the service ticket and diagnosed the problem at the dealer tried his best to explain every irrational reason under the sun why it was normal. I took the then new vehicle home to my garage and took the center console out. I found that the gasket that fit between the HVAC plenum and the console and dash outlets still had the center of the gasket material left in place that should have been punched out when it was installed. It was like having a piece of cardboard blocking 100% of the airflow to everything other than the windshield defroster outlets. Normal? I think not. After removing the piece of excess material, everything worked perfectly. I took the piece of material back to the dealer and had the service manager explain what it was to the kid that provided the outstanding customer dis-service initially. Not surprisingly, that dealership no longer exists. The building is even gone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use the auto mode mostly and noticed that a lot comes from the console vents. I dial down the auto, which is no big deal, until things are right. Could it be that with no rear window defrost the system pumps a lot more out the console vents by default?

·
Registered
964 Posts
You know, I still haven't had any problems with the heat. Our temps the past few days have been highs of single digits and lows of -10 and my feet have been toasty warm.

Maybe they build em different for Minnesota, eh? Heh.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had to adjust the mode, and as decribed, On Auto: the heat up top was too hot and not enough on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Try closing the upper side vents to half way and see if that improves your lower heat. The side vents are on for defrosting but it may be excessive after a few minutes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, I have this problem. My feet are chilly and it seems to blast heat in my face no matter which setting it's on. I have closed the upper side vents, but it does not appear that the center ones can be closed.

I see that one other responding here is an RT, so no climate control.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
farmguy said:
Yes, I have this problem. My feet are chilly and it seems to blast heat in my face no matter which setting it's on. I have closed the upper side vents, but it does not appear that the center ones can be closed.

I see that one other responding here is an RT, so no climate control.
If you set the mode to "floor," the center vents close automatically (except for the 2 on the sides which you can close manually). Sounds like you have the mode set to both the floor and center. I'm assuming that the RT has the same mode settings as the RTS, even though it isn't the auto climate control system.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I still do not know how anyone gets any heated airflow out of center vents. I get A/C through there, but no heat. The heating system is just oddly designed and a bit over-engineered for my liking. If you want to shut off some airflow to side vents, I have found the recirculate button to be effective.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have noticed this also. Selecting floor heat only and cranking the fan on high speed, it almost seems like some of the flow is still directed to the windshield.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Skywalker said:
I have noticed this also. Selecting floor heat only and cranking the fan on high speed, it almost seems like some of the flow is still directed to the windshield.
I wonder if some of that is to keep the windshield from fogging. Especially if it is cold out and the interior is warm, but the windshield is cold? I do notice that this vehicle does a good job of not having that happen, unlike the CR-V we had or even our Accord.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all for the responses, sounds like I am not the only one with this issue. Scheduled an appointment with my dealer tommorrow to address the follwoing issues on my Ridgeline which only has 300 miles on it.

1. Fix the whistling windsheild - problem area identifed
2. Fix Dash rattle - problem area identifed
3. Fix the floor heat - no matter what mode or fan speed, very little air flow coming out of the floor vent-acts like it's plugged/blocked to me.
4. Adjust tire pressures and verify that the air tire pressure monitoring system is working correctly. Have gotten two warnings this week.
5. Fix door trim rattle, problem area identifed.
6. I fixed the dash speaker rattle myself, so I'll leave that alone for now.

If they fix these issues and no more pop up, I'll be happy. There is allot to like about this vehcile. My experience this week in the snow here in MN left me very, very impressed with the handling capabilties...WOW! But if these annoying things keep popping up, I'll be very dissapointed.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Craig

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was sure glad to find this thread. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I haven't found any combination of the modes/fans speeds that will warm my feet. :mad: Looks like I'll need to schedule a service call.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts