Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read other posts, but am not sure how to best proceed. On the highway I do get around 20-21 mpg, as advertised. However, when I fill up and then run errands and just commute to and from work, which is only a few miles, my mileage is absolutely horrible. I'm not gunning it at every light and I'm not stopped for long periods of time. My last fill up had an average 13 mpg calculated (it said 13.5 on the dash). 2013 RTL with 103k miles. I can't imagine it should be this bad? I'm not sure I have averaged over 15mpg other than an all highway trip. Is there something that could be killing my mileage at idle or lower speeds? When I fill up and only have 10-15 miles on it, I can watch the calculated mpg drop multiple points while I sit at a light. That just doesn't seem right?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Off hand with the driving you describe, 13mpg could well be "normal". If your maintenance isn't up to date then things like air filters and spark plugs could contribute. So could valve clearances (you are at that mileage).

If you have non stock wheels (heavier) and or heavy / high rolling resistance tires like AT tires that can kill city mileage.

Is your alignment OK, are your calipers moving freely on their carrier pins?

In the end the Ridge is a heavy vehicle that gets pretty poor gas mileage when driven short distances in stop and go traffic.

My 14 with 45k miles gets about 14mpg in DC area stop and go in town traffic. It will get 24mpg driving on flat runs with speed under 65.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All maintenance is up to date, including differential oil. Recently aligned. Factory wheels and standard tires. Basically all stock. I may be due for plugs. I was also reading the PCV valve could be causing trouble? It's not really stop and go traffic, just a few lights between me and work. Mostly traveling around 40 mph. I'm in Clearwater FL.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
At 103k miles you are essentially due for timing belt, water pump and plugs. You are also due to "check valve clearances if noisy". The maintenance minder will likely pop the code at your next oil change interval (if you haven't already seen the code). . . .As to the valve clearances: In reality, the exhaust valves tend to get tighter rather than looser and you won't hear tight valves but they can affect performance / economy. You should probably get your valve clearances adjusted.

How long is your commute? Short trips will KILL gas mileage.

BTW, my trip meter also reads about .5mpg high. Thats pretty good compared to the GenII which reads closer to 2mpg high . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timing belt and pump were done already. The original owner kept up with all maintenance, so I would assume any scheduled items were done. There was a long list of work done, all at the same dealership. I got it about 3k miles ago. I will try to call and see if the valves were ever adjusted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's not encouraging to hear. I guess one of my biggest questions is why my mileage falls so drastically at idle. Sitting at a light, watching it drop multiple points in a matter of a minute. That just doesn't seem right to me. I may try changing out the EGR and doing spark plugs and seeing if that helps at all. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to live with it.. or sell and find something else. Probably could get similar mileage with a bigger truck and more torque. However, I do love the way it drives, comfort and the low maintenance. It's a shame they couldn't do better on the mileage.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The sitting at traffic lights obviously hurts mileage but the biggest issue in your case sounds like the short trips where the vehicle simply doesn't warm up to an efficient opperating temperature. No ICE vehicle will deliver the economy it it capable of till it is warmed up.

If you don't need a truck thenthe Ridge is most certainly a poor choice for a commute / errand vehicle. If you do need a truck occasionally then you will be hard pressed to do much better. Even a new midsizer will suck down the gas in short runs. The GenII averages about 3mpg better overall but will be expensive to purchase and wont deliver good MPGs in your described scenario. A hybrid powertrain would be much better suited.

Maybe ride a bike to work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha a bike is an idea. I do need a truck on a semi-regular basis, so I do plan on having a truck. My V6 Rav4 that was totaled before I grabbed this handled sheet goods on the roof admirably, but a truck is certainly eaiser. I did manage 20mpg avg with that suv though... while having some wonderful acceleration available... great vehicle.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Get the new RAV4 hybrid and utility trailer. . .Enjoy 40mpg city although short trips wont likely do quite that well.

My wife needs to replace her AWD Audi wagon and I'm trying to convince her to go with the RAV4 hybrid in a higher trim package.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had thought about a combo like that, but my boat, with trailer, is around 3000 pounds. Some suv's can handle it, but probably none with better gas mileage... though my 2008 rav4 was rated at 3500lb I believe. Still, closer than i'd like. I guess I'll just suck it up for now.

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
I just filled up today 11.9, but I hammered it occasionally and only drive it about 10-15 miles per day when I drive it. Can I get better, sure if I absolutely baby it I have gotten about 14-14.5mpg at the very best. I guess I gave it up years ago and just enjoy driving it realizing it is a 4000+ pound brick, and if I want better MPG I look around the garage and drive something else

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 RTL with 130K. Same mileage as you're getting both in town and on the highway. Trucks are heavy and brickishly aerodynamic. Rather than getting wound up in comparing different vehicles in unlike conditions, you can use an OBD2 scanner and phone app to watch fuel trim and other engine vitals.

If your motor is running well, which it sounds like it is, then it is what it is, and there's probably not much you can do beyond basic maintenance stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an 06 with around 140k of miles on it. All maintenance has been done run non ethanol fuel. I still get average of 13 in town and 15-16 combined, can get up to 21 straight hwy. I have down everything that I can think of to get better gas mileage. I have accepted that that is what it gets. When it gets lower then I have to worry. All this is usually caused by me traveling over 62 mph. Or Short fast trips. I can tell you that The cold air intake was changed to a AEM brute force and have regretted that ever since it gas mileage suffered.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mostly traveling around 40 mph. I'm in Clearwater FL.
I'm in the same general area and I get the same mpg. My trips are short, so like others mentioned, often not getting up to full op temp in a trip. Also rarely much time spent in that 45ish mph sweet spot.

Pretty soon all the tourists will be back, and your mileage will probably go down more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've read other posts, but am not sure how to best proceed. On the highway I do get around 20-21 mpg, as advertised. However, when I fill up and then run errands and just commute to and from work, which is only a few miles, my mileage is absolutely horrible. I'm not gunning it at every light and I'm not stopped for long periods of time. My last fill up had an average 13 mpg calculated (it said 13.5 on the dash). 2013 RTL with 103k miles. I can't imagine it should be this bad? I'm not sure I have averaged over 15mpg other than an all highway trip. Is there something that could be killing my mileage at idle or lower speeds? When I fill up and only have 10-15 miles on it, I can watch the calculated mpg drop multiple points while I sit at a light. That just doesn't seem right?
I got the same problem on my 2019 Black edition. With a total of 4000 miles on it in the 6+ months I've owned it, Im sitting at 14 MPG per the computer for the entire mileage on the car.

I have also taken 3 400 miles trips strait up I5 to Seattle with adaptive cruise control set most the time at 70 mph.

This car is not as advertised with mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get 20 in local driving with my 2019 even when I am a little hard on the pedal. I have gotten 24 on the highway, but that was doing 65 verses 70+ which will bring it down to 20. I work only 5 miles from home and only do some highway driving on some of my off days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's not encouraging to hear. I guess one of my biggest questions is why my mileage falls so drastically at idle. Sitting at a light, watching it drop multiple points in a matter of a minute. That just doesn't seem right to me. I may try changing out the EGR and doing spark plugs and seeing if that helps at all. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to live with it.. or sell and find something else. Probably could get similar mileage with a bigger truck and more torque. However, I do love the way it drives, comfort and the low maintenance. It's a shame they couldn't do better on the mileage.
‘09 RTL with 60K and I get about 16 mpg around town and high 18s on the highway at speeds of 70+ with cruise set. If you are seeing your mpg change while sitting at idle don’t reset your trip computer (if that’s what you are doing or have done). Let it ride and build an average over time. When you reset, the stored average starts from zero and early averages are affected much more by smaller changes in performance like sitting at idle. It takes mine a couple weeks to settle in after I reset. The more you drive the less time it should take to settle in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can’t comment on the low mileage for short trips. But on the highway driving at 55 as opposed to 70 will make a huge difference. I think it was described as going from a hybrid to an SUV. The other tip is to get a bed cover. Mine addd 2.5 mpg!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts