Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all...new to ROC but what i've read has been informative. thanks to all of you. i have an 06 ridge with 108K. bougth it with 105K approx 18 months ago. ive been reading about mpg on different threads and am wondering why my truck is only getting mpg in the 10-12mpg range, mostly city, without a heavy foot. truck runs and idles smooth and honda service managers say cant really do anything to help with fuel economy.

should i look into full tune-up on my truck since i really dont know what was done to it service-wise before i bought it other than the timing belt and water pump at the dealership before delivery. as you can see i dont drive it much mostly due to the mpg but really love the truck.

any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW my calculations are based on miles driven divided by number gallons pumped to refill the tank at each fill-up.

thanks...rickg

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
6 letters. ILP & CKP. Do those and let us know the difference. If no difference, look in to other issues just start with that first.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
rickg,

Without a heavy foot is a relative term. If you only do short trips, the RL never has a chance to warm up and your mpg will be in the range you report.

Have you taken your RL on any trips of any length? A road trip running about 60mph would be ideal conditions for best mpg.

Also, what is the other maintenance status of your RL? The oil needs to be changed every 12 months regardless of mileage. This affects you since you put such low miles on your RL.

How about the tranny and transfer assembly fluid? Rear diff? Brake fluid? Filters (engine and cabin)?

A dragging brake could also adversely affect your mpg. Have you checked your brakes for even wear?

Just a few things to consider.

Welcome to the ROC.

Edit: I agree with laserguy on doing those two procedures. It may not make a difference... or it might. Some have reported improvement after doing those calibration procedures.

·
0 Posts
I have gotten no less than 21.5 on my truck so far. I did 23.5 on the interstate last week running steady state <70 mph with cruise on at all times it could be used.
Egg under the foot otherwise. The behemoth Pilot is rated at 24 and is surely no more aerodynamic than the Ridge.
I'm sure if I did a lot of stop and go it would do sub 20's on me but I don't so for sake of this argument I cannot offer good data for a city cycle.
This truck beats the stuffing out of anything else I've owned hands down. No Ford I ever owned ever came close. Never, ever.

36 gallons gas tanks give you a nice range but they hurt like hell to refill. Never had one under $100 to fill using 87 octane. I burn the good stuff in the Ridge which has no ethanol and from experience with the Fords is good for about 1.5 mpg on the plus side.

The corn lobby and EPA/Congress that allows ethanol from corn when folks around the world are starving. What do we do? We burn ours!

Mind you we have a farm and have done quite well on our per bushel price because of the drought this year but we are not happy with the trend because we see the trend. Here is a good start on educating yourself on this really stupid idea. http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/08/alternative-fuels

Who suffers 1st in an upward price spiral? The poor of the world do of course.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for the quick replies. was able to perform both procedures this morning. "seems" to change gears at lower rpm and smoother shift pattern.

i kind of figured i could attribute the lower mpg with the short distance driving that i do. guess i can thank the good Lord i dont have to drive lots of miles to find work.

im gonna look into the maintenance issues some of you raised since i really dont know what was performed prior to my acquisition of the truck. i dont think many people will perform the maintenance prior to trading it in. hmmm

once again thanks guys and ill update if things change.

do you guys have preferences on what type of oil to use in these trucks?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
In a nutshell:

Pick your brand,. Mobil 1 5 20 seems to be the most popular. Synthetic recommended but not mandatory. Follow the Mileage Minder for changes, don't change at more than 15% on the MM, preferably 5%.
There is now Honda 0 20 recommendation for oil weight. Depending on your climate you might prefer 5 20 year round, or for summer.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Synthetic Mobil 1 and penzoil platinum are popular among members.

Stay away from Honda oil filters ending on A02, get the A01 or wix gold, napa gold, walmart $3.00 purolator classic or gold, 1.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hey rickg, I'm rickg too! :act024:

Synthetic Oil for me all the way, especially for the cold starts in my winter climate!

And like most mentioned, if you don't know what fluids haven't been changed, this would be my first priority, especially with winter approaching fast! :act064:

P.S. Welcome to the ROC

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Were new plugs put in when they did the timing belt/water pump service at the dealership? If not, might want to consider having new plugs put in; as you have 108k miles on your vehilce. I just did this service myself over the weekend and noticed the engine is running much smoother. I don't know how the new plugs will effect mileage yet...but I am thinking I will see a little bit of a bump in a positive direction, if reduction in engine noise/vibration is any indication...

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
bump

Op, give us an update on the gas mileage and status.

·
Registered
216 Posts
After owning my 06 for nearly a month count me in as VERY disappointed in the MPG of this vehicle.

I'm averaging anywhere from 11 - 15 per gallon driving around town. No major highway trips yet.

I can only imagine the decrease when I actually tow or carry something in the bed.

I could have bought a much larger truck or an RV and gotten this average.

This Honda is sucking gas like a 1973 Winnebago. :act047::act047::act047::act047:

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
After owning my 06 for nearly a month count me in as VERY disappointed in the MPG of this vehicle.

I'm averaging anywhere from 11 - 15 per gallon driving around town. No major highway trips yet.

I can only imagine the decrease when I actually tow or carry something in the bed.

I could have bought a much larger truck or an RV and gotten this average.

This Honda is sucking gas like a 1973 Winnebago. :act047::act047::act047::act047:

15 around town is great, if you have short trips (under 9 miles) you can't expect better than 13-14. I would do the ILP and CKP just in case

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same issue with poor city gas mileage but im only doing 2.5miles round trip! so i get around 10mpg. But if im traveling highway i will get my normal 17-20mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts