Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ridgeline has the standard radio (non touch-screen). I've noticed the reception is rather poor. Stations that came in fine with my previous cars (Lexus, Prius, Tacoma and Forester) don't come in very well at all. I have to switch stations on the way home from work to a stronger one. I've never had to do that before.

And (what could be a separate thread, the clock keeps really bad time. It loses ove a minute/week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought it was just me. Two of my favorite FM stations are sometimes iffy that were fine in my Mazda CX5. On the other hand, two AM stations I have not listened to in a while are now crystal clear. Am going to bring it up at the first oil change. Years ago we used to be able to tune the radio reception and antenna. I think it is all plug and play now

·
Registered
461 Posts
Last month I traveled to our marina which is a 1 1/2hr drive. I have been doing this for the last 20 years with various vehicles and yes I did notice the FM reception was quite weak. Had to tune out 1/2 way there as opposed to 3/4 of the way there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is the worst vehicle I presently own and have owned. Is there a fix for this?

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Actually, my RTL seems to be on the same par as my Ford Escapes were for FM sensitivity. But, i do notice what seems to be some directional sensitivity with the RTL When going in one direction it seems to be better than in an opposite one on a sensitive station to begin with. Plus at times there is more static too. I figure the fin on top of the truck is to blame somehow. Anyone know ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
From what I understand FM antennas are now in the body of the vehicle, a long wire built into the roof. The shark fin only carries the satellite radio and sometimes the gps antenna. Although for the RL it should be in the dash somewhere. I'm sure a parts diagram shows all this.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I was incorrect, looks like the antenna runs along the floor and side and part number 4 in the shark fin is part of the FM antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I almost never listen to the radio. About the only time I do it is AM for listening to Royals baseball games as I drive somewhere. And it is much, much worse reception than my 2012 Crosstour had. Doesn't really bother me much as I normally listen to BT music or audiobooks from my phone. But is definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have no issues at all with my new RTL-T. I live way out in the country south of the Minneapolis metro area, get the same or better reception FM and AM as my former Ram 1500 did, and it had a huge 3 foot tall antenna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. My Rt is a week old. I am also not satisfied with fm reception. I will call my dealer today (but doubting I will get any help from them), has anyone found a solution? I am also wanting to eliminate the shark fin antenna as it interferes with mounting my roof top storage box, perhaps a different antenna replacement could solve both problems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Ridgeline has the standard radio (non touch-screen). I've noticed the reception is rather poor. Stations that came in fine with my previous cars (Lexus, Prius, Tacoma and Forester) don't come in very well at all. I have to switch stations on the way home from work to a stronger one. I've never had to do that before.

And (what could be a separate thread, the clock keeps really bad time. It loses ove a minute/week.
I have the BE and my FM & AM reception is terrible. My wife's 2011 Highlander is much better than the RL. The RL radio is the worst radio I've ever had as far as reception. I intend to take it to my dealer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the BE and my FM & AM reception is terrible. My wife's 2011 Highlander is much better than the RL. The RL radio is the worst radio I've ever had as far as reception. I intend to take it to my dealer.
Just got home from taking my BE to the dealer in Cartersville, GA and apparently the poor reception is caused by the HD Audio function that is set to AUTO. Fixed my poor reception by going to Main menu, Audio, Settings, change the HD setting to ANALOG. Mine was set to AUTO. Auto setting causes the radio to search for a HD signal continuously. Changing this one setting improved my radio 1000%. Kudos to Brian, the Tech at Shottenkirk Honda in Cartersville, GA.
Also got my oil & filter changed and 10 point inspection, for $29.95. Full Synthetic 0W-20.
:laugh::grin:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will be playing closer attention to mine now. Have had a few static moments lately that I cannot define as a pattern. Will note the location so I can track it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, my RTL non-navigation radio's FM reception is rather poor; not too happy with AM either frankly. I did not want the Navigation radio for a whole host of reasons; would have liked to have chosen a sunroof, but of course it only came with the electronics package. Of course like the truck immensely nevertheless. The audio quality seems pretty decent, certainly not worth getting a high end replacement for that reason. I got the magnetic iPhone holder which is attached on the window corner of driver's side and works great for Nav as well as phone use as I can see who is calling, but use the bluetooth in the vehicle of course. Only thing that doesn't seem to work is the auto volume level coupled to speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. The station I listen to without problems on my Toyota RAV, does not come in clearly on my Ridgeline. That's disappointing when driving a new vehicle :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. The station I listen to without problems on my Toyota RAV, does not come in clearly on my Ridgeline. That's disappointing when driving a new vehicle :(

I agree. What a piece of **** this radio is. If your going to sell the worst radio reception ever at least sell every trim line with Sirius Satellite radio ffs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just got home from taking my BE to the dealer in Cartersville, GA and apparently the poor reception is caused by the HD Audio function that is set to AUTO. Fixed my poor reception by going to Main menu, Audio, Settings, change the HD setting to ANALOG. Mine was set to AUTO. Auto setting causes the radio to search for a HD signal continuously. Changing this one setting improved my radio 1000%. Kudos to Brian, the Tech at Shottenkirk Honda in Cartersville, GA.
Also got my oil & filter changed and 10 point inspection, for $29.95. Full Synthetic 0W-20.
Does switching to analog affect your reception of HD stations?

·
Registered
7 Posts

That must be an option on the 2017 and later models. It's not on my 2013, and my reception is horrible. Anybody else have a fix for this? Replacing the antenna?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts