Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share some info about my experience and install of the Pop and Lock PL8661 kit with the power lock connected actuator and manual key backup.

The quality tolerances on the kit is a little off in a couple of areas. Also the recommended instructions are not ideal.

I followed the instructions on the manufacturer's video on youtube. For the most part, the video is quite good but there are some issues with the lock itself and some suggested install tips were not ideal.

After installing the kit I found that when the lock position is engaged by the actuator, the tailgate will still open if the handle is pulled firmly. However, if I engage the lock with the key the lock works as it should and even a firm tug to the handle will not open the tailgate. The problem with using the key to lock it is that the key was not removable. Turning the key counterclockwise enough to remove the key also caused the lock to be in a position where a firm handle tug would open the gate. NFG.

After some trouble-shooting I determined that the slotted hole in the crank rod assembly was too short restricting needed movement. I ended up increasing the slot by nearly 1/4 inch by drilling it out (see pic). Voila. It works perfectly - the key now removes in lock position and the actuator can fully lock the tailgate. My view is that for almost $200, I should not have to modify this lock to make it work properly...just my opinion.

The 2nd issue is the lock assembly bezel that mounts under the handle. There are some gaps and it just doesn't fit as nice as it should. Minor but annoying nonetheless.

Lastly the instructions recommend routing the power lock wiring under the truck. This is definitely not a great choice for a multiple of reasons. Although way more work (with help of a buddy) the wiring was run behind the drivers side panel in the bed through the factory wiring harness access behind the rear seat and along the door sills. This required removal of 2 of the composite bed panels, rear seat, and door sill trim but in the end the wiring is much better protected.

Now my bed is secured and with the tailgate locking/unlocking with oem power lock system it's super convenient as well. Can't say I'd highly recommend this lock with the quality issues but at the same time I'm glad I did it given the lack of a better alternative.

Attachments

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did see that post and decided on the P&L instead. I like the idea of a tidy keyed manual unlock and although this homemade lock is most certainly cheaper it doesn't appear to be 'easier' as there is more trial and error involved in fabricating the mechanism. I do think it's ingenious nevertheless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the easier and cheaper way out. I wanted the ability to lock my tailgate, as I had installed a rigid, flip tonneau cover and although it could only be unlatched from the underside of the tonneau cover, the tailgate itself could not be locked.
I read, read and read more about the options for resolving this issue. Of course, I saw many ads and offerings for the Pop and Lock system. Yes, it would certainly be handy to have all of your vehicles locks on one system. However, after reading the instructions and some reviews, I kept looking. I finally discovered that Honda offers a "manual" lock for the Ridgeline's tailgate.
I found a Honda dealer on Ebay, offering color matched tailgate handles with lock and provision for the backup camera. It comes with all required linkage components.
I think I paid about $110 for the conversion, and although you had to some disassembling of the tailgate, the actual conversion was pretty simple. You need to swap out the handle and put the backup camera into the new handle.
I have accomplished my goal, at a reasonable price, with not too much effort, and nobody would know that this isn't the way my truck came. I don't mind using a key to lock/unlock my tailgate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts