Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since so many are concerned about the Tailgate Lock, I pinged Pop and Lock today to see if they had an update and got this reply:

We are hoping to unveil a manual and power lock option in 2017.
I hope this information helps!

Of course it takes time to figure out the mechanics, wiring, engineer, test, and produce the kits, etc.

I was afraid that they would say that due to the tailgate design they couldn't make a kit...... that's the only reason that I could imagine that Honda wouldn't have it as standard equipment anyhow!

Obviously, if you are using this to make a purchase decision YMMV.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
I'd be surprised if the Tailgate was that different from the G1 Tailgate

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Is Pop n Lock the only decent alternative? They are hoping to release one next year? Sounds to me like they're hoping the Ridgeline will sell a lot more before they build it. Maybe there's a competitor with a competitive spirit.

Reactions: Shineaholic

· Registered
64 Posts
I was afraid that they would say that due to the tailgate design they couldn't make a kit...... that's the only reason that I could imagine that Honda wouldn't have it as standard equipment anyhow!
Honda would never offer it as standard equipment or a stand-alone option. It would only be available on top trim levels. >:)

Seriously though, all the excuses are BS. The tailgate is not the engineering marvel some people make it out to be, domestic station wagons had dual action tailgates WITH roll down windows and power locks for decades.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have the Pop and Lock on my G1 and I have not been very impressed with it. It is rather flimsy and I had to play with the key to get it to lock/unlock. It felt like it could easily break if you used "a little too much force". As a result I haven't used it in years.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person around so maybe I didn't install it exactly right, but I would be hesitant to purchase one for my G2.

G

·
Update... I installed the Gen 1 version of the Pop N Lock onto my Gen2 RTL-E. As I thought the key portion of the setup needs to be redesigned. The tailgate handle is wrapped in sheet metal on the Gen2 so it is not as easy to drill and install. The backup camera also makes the key not functional.

I really only cared about the actuator and locking bracket which seem to fit and work just fine. I had to add a support block on the end of the actuator to prevent rattling.

I'm currently stuck searching for the lock and unlock wires in the driver side kick plate, the colors seem to have changed between the Gen1 and Gen2.

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4YAMGiU68T7d3d1V2g2MjVMRjA

· Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I admire your MacGyver skills and ambition but wonder if it wouldn't be a lot easier to wait for the new version from P&L...unless you need a tailgate lock right away.
I don't have my Ridgeline yet, but I agree. Am I correct that, if the installation gets messed up, it is possible that your gate will be closed, locked, and stuck. You won't have any way to disassemble the tailgate to access the mechanism without literally tearing things apart?

G

·
I don't have my Ridgeline yet, but I agree. Am I correct that, if the installation gets messed up, it is possible that your gate will be closed, locked, and stuck. You won't have any way to disassemble the tailgate to access the mechanism without literally tearing things apart?
Well as the actuator plug is tied up under my bumper I could always just trigger the actuator manually if need, much in the same way I tested it prior to putting the tailgate back together. No worries though, I found the lock/unlock wires I needed and all is functioning well.

Thanks for all of the support and good luck waiting for the manufacturer to release a kit sometime next year.

· Registered
7 Posts
I was under the impression that the locking tailgage was part of the equipment for Canadian trucks. Here is the list that Canada gets but we don't. This list was posted a couple of months ago on this forum.

- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
- locking tailgate

So maybe it will be an accessory or actually we in the states will get the fully optioned Ridgeline rather than the reduced spec vehicle in the US.

· Registered
184 Posts
Well as the actuator plug is tied up under my bumper I could always just trigger the actuator manually if need, much in the same way I tested it prior to putting the tailgate back together. No worries though, I found the lock/unlock wires I needed and all is functioning well.

Thanks for all of the support and good luck waiting for the manufacturer to release a kit sometime next year.
Can you tell us more about the wires/wiring? This may be something I take on next weekend.

· Registered
606 Posts
I was under the impression that the locking tailgage was part of the equipment for Canadian trucks. Here is the list that Canada gets but we don't. This list was posted a couple of months ago on this forum.

- locking tailgate

So maybe it will be an accessory or actually we in the states will get the fully optioned Ridgeline rather than the reduced spec vehicle in the US.
The US specs said locking tailgate too, they are referring to the in bed trunk as their "locking tailgate"

· Registered
246 Posts
I have seen actuators that have been added to create power door locks freeze only once in 20 years of installing. If that did happen you could remove/cut a whole in the plastic cover. Granted you'll need to buy a new one when done.

The power door lock wires can be found in the drivers kick panel or the B pillar. At the DKP it will lock and unlock w the drivers door. At the B pillar it will lock/unlock with the passenger doors. It will be easier to find and grab at the B pillar. It will also cause less wear and tear as the actuator will move less over time unless you always have all doors unlock then you might as well grab it there.

I would probably add a fuse (</=3 amp) as a safety just in case it does freeze or jams so it doesn't cause an issue with the OEM lock/unlock circuit.

I will wait for P&L since I don't have a tonneau cover and thats the main reason to have a locking TG on an RL. The RL TG doesn't come off as quickly as a regular truck so theft isn't that much of issue. Were not knuckle dragging Dodge owners we can afford insurance, we don't need to steal TGs. Just kidding.

· Registered
50 Posts
I really want to get the new Ridgeline, but the options available on Canadian models, but not US models makes me want to wait until next year to see if Honda comes to its senses. Their reasoning (or lack of) is beyond comprehension. I also think someone noted that integrated turn signals in the side mirrors were also a feature on the Canadian models? And as this is a safety feature, why can't Honda, be like Kia and put this low cost safety feature on ALL of its models?

- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
- locking tailgate

· Registered
387 Posts
I really want to get the new Ridgeline, but the options available on Canadian models, but not US models makes me want to wait until next year to see if Honda comes to its senses. Their reasoning (or lack of) is beyond comprehension.
I could see them doing it as yet another trim level. Effectively making the E/BE level the "Touring" and yet another level with some of the stuff as the "Elite" to put it in Pilot speak.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.