Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up....
I had what I believe is a mechanical failure of an electronic Pop & Lock recently. It has given me great service and security for some 5 years, so no product complaints from me!

One thing to be aware of...when the tailgate lock fails to open (mine is making a loud buzzing only) the tailgate latches (both) become inoperable (locked). You cannot access your trunk with tools, spare tire, jack, etc.

Pop & Lock does make a manual/electronic lock that offers a key over-ride which I will be upgrading to AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE INSIDE TAILGATE COVER OFF to R+R the Pop & Lock. The inner tailgate cover does not come off when the tailgate is closed/locked.

This is going to be an issue for Pop & Lock users with dead batteries too.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
^^^been there, done that^^^^

When my first dynolock actuator died I was in the same fix. I first tried pulling the 'rescue' cable I had so carefully integrated when I installed the lock. it turned out to be useless. Fortunately, I was able to remove all the torx bolts from the top of the tailgate and pry the fiberglass cover open far enough to get my hand down inside and work the actuator.

I thought about drilling an strategically placed access hole in the tailgate cover so I could manipulate the actuator with a screwdriver. After the second dynolock actuator failure, I switched to a Pop & Lock system. I am much happier with the build quality of the P&L, but still worry about getting locked out.

I wonder if it's possible to add the P&L key lock feature to an existing P&L electric lock?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I am hoping to start with pulling off the plastic top trim...

·
Registered
36 Posts
^^^been there, done that^^^^

I wonder if it's possible to add the P&L key lock feature to an existing P&L electric lock?
I'm guessing that it is although, I started with the key lock and added the electric lock later. P&L sells a kit to do just this and the electric kit integrated with the key lock just fine. I'd be surprised if the key could not be added.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone needs to replace the old style keep in mind it is located very near the top of the tailgate (if the tailgate were closed).

The new style lock w/ manual over ride is completely different, and more substantial. It mounts and attaches in a different place with better brackets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts