Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Pop & Lock Smart Lock Combo...power lock/unlock with a manual lock and key in case of power failure. I was reading a thread a few days ago that someone installed it so it operated in conjunction with the rear doors of the keyless remote...not the driver's door...for less wear and tear. He explained how he did it and provided a colored wire diagram of how he ran the wires. Now I can't seem to find that particular thread. Anybody remember?

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Sorry ... I know that info is on here somewhere... but it might take quite a search to find it. I installed Basic Koncepts electric tailgate lock back in 2005. That one was wired to lock with the rear doors. If you can find install instructions for that (good luck), or an install demo on here, then you'll have what you need.
(later edited):
BUT WAIT....... I did find a nice write-up by a member way back when, who installed the same one I did. There is a good description of just what you are looking for (this is what was in those install instructions). I've cut & pasted the pertinent paragraph here, but you can also see the entire post via the link (this excerpt is the 8th paragraph in post#1 in that thread). You will also see a "home-made" DIY version that another member ginned up that's referenced via another link later on in that thread, if you are interested at all.

Excerpt: The rear door actuator harness is located at the base of the center pillar. You have to pull the harness out of the hole and remove a couple of inches of the black protective covering as well as electrical tape. Find the 2 wires; yellow with silver dots & yellow with black lines. Attach the two wire taps provided. Take the wires you routed through the floor board and cut to size. Crimp the plugs at the end of the wires and connect them to the taps. Once all is secure, wrap everything up with electrical tape. Go back to the tailgate and connect the wires to the actuator. Use your keys to unlock the vehicle and observe the ETL actuator position. The actuator arm should be in the inner most position (not extended).
UNLOCK Position = Not Extended,
LOCK Position = Extended
If it's in the opposite position, in my case it was, disconnect the wires and reverse them. Test out the lock once again. If everything looks good, reassemble your truck and have an adult beverage of your choice!

Link: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35603&postcount=1

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.
If I recall correctly, I believe it was coolbob who described how he did it. In addition to the diagram, he also posted a pic of a bypass switch he installed in the lower dash. This way he could control the unnecessary unlocking/locking of the tailgate lock when not needed.
For the life of me I can't find that thread.

· Registered
94 Posts
This thread linked below might be helpful, has a install with pictures not sure if this is the one you were looking for though. I came across it a few days ago because I am looking to do the $10 version this spring sometime.

It looks like the original thread starter and coolbob (post #8) have installed switches to control the locking function and if you switch the switch it will stay in whatever position it is left in (the lock that is)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78249

more explanation on the switch functions:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1474874&postcount=14

I know the driver door lock wires are in the the driver footwell, and the back doors are in the base of the "b" pillar sorry not sure on the colors right now.

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
If I recall correctly, I believe it was coolbob who described how he did it. In addition to the diagram, he also posted a pic of a bypass switch he installed in the lower dash. This way he could control the unnecessary unlocking/locking of the tailgate lock when not needed.
For the life of me I can't find that thread.
Thanks Radiator and Legger99, I wanted to share the my bypass switch hack, but could not find my post either. :)

It has turned out to be a great mod as I only need to lock the tailgate a dozen times or so a year so the bypass switch saves the tailgate lock from thousands and thousands of unnecessary actuation cycles.

· Registered
94 Posts
Thanks Radiator and Legger99, I wanted to share the my bypass switch hack, but could not find my post either. :)

It has turned out to be a great mod as I only need to lock the tailgate a dozen times or so a year so the bypass switch saves the tailgate lock from thousands and thousands of unnecessary actuation cycles.
so Coolbob, does it matter which wire you put a switch on to defeat the lock in either position (locked or unlocked) I believe you used just a standard SPST switch.

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Correct, it's a standard SPST (single pole single throw) switch. You can wire it so that it interrupts either wire heading to the tailgate lock actuator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.