Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I noticed a couple of days ago that there was a single distinctive pop coming from the front-end of the vehicle while the transmission was simultaneously shifting into high gear after a rev of up to around 5500 RPM. I noticed this while turning onto a 55 mph highway. I wasn't messing around, just getting up to speed.

There was no one around so I slowed down to about 25 mph, this time deliberately put my foot all the way on the gas and again, while shifting into high gear 'pop' from what seemed like the front end. It wasn't an extremely loud noise however it was a distinctive pop.

When I got home I didn't notice any leaks and the noise doesn't happen during normal driving at slow to moderate acceleration. I have put over 300 miles on the truck since noticing this noise.

This morning however while removing snow from the driveway and warming up the truck I noticed a small puddle (4" in diameter), of what seemed to be a neon yellow fluid. Any one have any thoughts? Thank you for your assistance!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
That's coolant.

I would inspect the connection of the transmission cooler line to the radiator. It corrodes and sometimes will separate, allowing transmission fluid and coolant to mix. If you see this, DO NOT DRIVE the truck. Get it towed to your dealer or a radiator repair shop.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Honda coolant is blue, not yellow. I can't think of any OEM Honda fluid that is yellow.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Someone could certainly have put conventional coolant in it.

Does someone else park there as well?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Non-Honda branded coolant is about the only fluid that would be yellow (or green).

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
... or Toyota Red.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any radioactive dogs live in the area???
LOL, thank you all for the advise! Attached is a photo of the potential leak 8 hours after my wife originally saw it when I moved the truck to snow-blow this morning. I don't know if it's anything, but I really hope the neighbors dogs have not been exposed to high levels of radiation hence mutating them into something from a science fiction story...

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's coolant.

I would inspect the connection of the transmission cooler line to the radiator. It corrodes and sometimes will separate, allowing transmission fluid and coolant to mix. If you see this, DO NOT DRIVE the truck. Get it towed to your dealer or a radiator repair shop.

Chip H.
Thank you, I have all of my maintenance done at a Honda dealer so I'm assuming they use Honda fluids. I may just purchase an aftermarket radiator and have it installed just to be safe. Has anyone done this?

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I know what your problem is!!! (maybe :) )

Just very coincidentally, someone just posted about motor mount failure/leak. Apparently, our motor mounts are filled with liquid.... a Yellow or Green liquid!!!
This (motor mount failure) fits your first symptom (popping @ shift points), especially with hydraulic mounts & high rev shifts. I'm guessing you've got some air in there where your mount has leaked out some fluid, and the compression of the mount when shifting gears is causing a 'pop' as that air is forced out of the mount. Theoretical of course, but it all fits. Check that out & get back to us.

(Look for traces of green/yellow liquid around your mounts.... start with the one closest to where you found the liquid on the ground... but remember it can migrate along structure / engine parts on it's way down as well)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50513&page=2

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what your problem is!!! (maybe :) )

Just very coincidentally, someone just posted about motor mount failure/leak. Apparently, our motor mounts are filled with liquid.... a Yellow or Green liquid!!!
This (motor mount failure) fits your first symptom (popping @ shift points), especially with hydraulic mounts & high rev shifts. I'm guessing you've got some air in there where your mount has leaked out some fluid, and the compression of the mount when shifting gears is causing a 'pop' as that air is forced out of the mount. Theoretical of course, but it all fits. Check that out & get back to us.

(Look for traces of green/yellow liquid around your mounts.... start with the one closest to where you found the liquid on the ground... but remember it can migrate along structure / engine parts on it's way down as well)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50513&page=2

Dnick, thank you very much friend! Unfortunately we just got blasted with more snow this afternoon... I will get to this ASAP and keep you posted. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I was going to suggest the motor mount as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts