Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting this pellet grill for tailgating and wondering if it will work. Any advice? I have a 2020 Black Edition and noticed that the outlet is 2 prong and pretty sure all pellet grills will have 3 prongs. As simple as getting an adapter and going or should I be concerned? My understanding on these pellet grills is they require a little more power during initial startup but very lower power requirements once it's going. Watched a YouTube video on this model and it showed it was drawing 180W upon startup but hardly anything once the igniter did it's work.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
The grill's owner's manual says it requires 230 watts.

It should work if the AC outlet is in 400 watt mode which requires the engine to be running and the transmission to be in park.

The presence of a ground conductor means that this product is most likely not double-insulated and therefore not safe to use without a 3-prong receptacle - even with a grounding adapter (which I'm surprised are still legal for sale in the US unlike in Canada where they are illegal).

The Ridgeline's AC outlet should be used only with 2-prong (ungrounded) appliances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Guess it sounds like I should use my 400W power inverter plugged into the inside of the truck. That's frustrating...not really sure what I'll use the in bed power inverter for.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Thanks for the info. Guess it sounds like I should use my 400W power inverter plugged into the inside of the truck. That's frustrating...not really sure what I'll use the in bed power inverter for.
The accessory power sockets support a maximum of 180 watts (15 amps at 12 volts) total. Inverters are not 100% efficient, so 100-150 watts is about all you can get out of the accessory power sockets without blowing a fuse.

You'll need an AC inverter that connects directly to the battery.

Your best solution is a portable generator like a Honda EU2200i or Yamaha EF2200iS.

The Ridgeline's AC outlet is best used for low-power, two-prong AC-powered devices like some televisions, battery chargers, slow cookers, and lights.

Oh, and sensitive electronics and inductive devices such as those with motors and transformers don't take too kindly to the approximated sine wave output of the Ridgeline's AC inverter. I fried the controller on a heating pad a couple of years ago with it.

What good is it, then? Well, it's perfect for running strings of LED lights during a Christmas parade. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
Or you could buy a portable Blackstone grill.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don’t do that. Just get a good Weber Smokey Joe if you want to cook with a real fire or one of the many gas alternatives like a Weber Q. Those portable pellet grills are terrible smokers and even worse grills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're not set on table top size, another option designed for tailgating is the GMG Davy Crockett. When you cant use AC adapter, you can plug directly into vehicle's 12V socket. Or it also comes with an adapter to connect to your battery.

It's not as small, but still easily portable and more versatile in my opinion... Chose this one to be used for tailgating. But, with its convenience, it's now my primary grill/smoker at home over a WSM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're not set on table top size, another option designed for tailgating is the GMG Davy Crockett. When you cant use AC adapter, you can plug directly into vehicle's 12V socket. Or it also comes with an adapter to connect to your battery.

It's not as small, but still easily portable and more versatile in my opinion... Chose this one to be used for tailgating. But, with its convenience, it's now my primary grill/smoker at home over a WSM.
I also have the Davy Crocket. Great little grill for smoking. Don’t expect to cook hamburgers or sear steak. It is not that kind of grill. I have taken mine camping and cooked ribs and chicken using the 12 volt adaptor that plugs into the 12 volt socket. It is bigger and it looks like it would fit in the trunk. I have only had my ridgeline a week so haven’t actually tried it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts