Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am installing an amp and the SQ-10 w/ ED box behind the rear seat. I know I have to tap into the harness behind the factory Navi to run wire to the LC6i, which I am also installing in the rear of the truck.

I have read and understand that soldering is the preferred method to tap into the wires coming out of the factory head unit. My questions is after talking to Crutchfield, they recommended I try the Posi-Tap. http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Has anyone had any positive experience using this connector for their audio system?

The reason I am considering the Posi-Tap is that I am using a quality LOC, so if the signal isn't too good, the LC6i should compensate (I hope!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to add that I don't work for this company. I thought this may be a viable option that could replace cutting into the wires if/when I sell the RL and want to remove the install.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i love Posi-Tap connectors, only thing is they are really expensive and i can only find them on crutchfield.com. the posi-taps should give a good signal, i used them on my friends amp install but i used a line out put converter. my car i used t-taps i got off ebay $5 for 100 :act035:

·
Administrator
18,553 Posts
I solder and heat shrink EVERYTHING. Having stated that, the only solder you'll find in anything from vehicles to washing machines is on printed circuit boards. Virtually everything else is crimped to save time and material costs. I don't much care for that, but if done correctly it will outlast the lifetime of the application.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
FYI, NAPA auto parts also sells these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i love Posi-Tap connectors, only thing is they are really expensive and i can only find them on crutchfield.com.
I was on ebay last night looking at them and the sellers wanted $0.80 each!

I'm still waiting for the SQ-10 to come in, so I have time to shop around for some good prices on the connectors.

I think I will probably do the install with the connectors, as I can always solder them down the road if I am unhappy with the connection. These seem far, far superior to Scotch Locks (I would never think about using them as those would fall off if you hit a small bump).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Several tests have been done that show a high quality crimp conducts electricity better than a soldered connector. Two pieces of metal pressed together under pressure allow electricity to pass through with going through tin/lead (which has lower conductivity).

WBT, a Swiss company, produces some of the very best audio connectors in the world. And their best connectors use special copper crimp sleeves and screws instead of solder.

Solder produces a mechanically reliable connector but not necessarily a better connection.

That said - I have no experience with these connectors. I would certainly be willing to try them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That said - I have no experience with these connectors. I would certainly be willing to try them.

I never heard of these connectors myself until yesterday when I stumbled upon the website. I was doing a ton of searching through the ROC boards the past few months (which is how I ended up with the LC6i, the eD box and subwoofer), but I never saw anyone discuss these connectors as an option.

There is a thread, unrelated to audio that discussed some use of the Posi-Tap connectors: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36652

1 - 8 of 8 Posts