Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a small deer with my 2008 Ridgeline. The impact created a bow in the condenser and radiator which causes the passenger side fan to rub on the radiator. There are no leaks.

Has anyone tried straightening a bent radiator or condenser after a collision?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly I would just replace the radiator, since they are relatively cheap and it's very easy to do on these, especially if yours in an original one with the SMOD design flaw.

Does your a/c still work? If so, I don't think it would be wise to try to bend the condenser back into place, because if that thing develops a crack from metal fatigue, then it's going to explode in your face.

Do you have full insurance coverage?

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
540 Posts
Good advice from @YoshiMan38.

If you have "comprehensive" coverage, you would be covered in this accident. Hitting a deer is a comprehensive claim.
Good thing you hit it, if you swerved to avoid it, ran off the road and sustained damage, that would be a "collision" claim.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good advice from @YoshiMan38.

If you have "comprehensive" coverage, you would be covered in this accident. Hitting a deer is a comprehensive claim.
Good thing you hit it, if you swerved to avoid it, ran off the road and sustained damage, that would be a "collision" claim.
Correct and "unbending" a condensor is no guarantee that flow won't be restricted or blocked by a kink or other damage. False economy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My comprehensive has a $500 deductible which is more than it will cost to replace and paint the front bumper and grill. I'd rather not file a claim since I'm soon to have teenage drivers on the policy.

I think I will use a piece of plywood to spread the load and use a long lever with gentle pressure to see if it moves easily. If not, I will try to user some spacers to move the fan away from the radiator since that's the only current problem.

If I end up replacing the radiator I'll probably have to replace the condenser too since it would bow into the radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts