Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
We won't be buying a 2020 or 2021; we don't buy brand new cars anymore. The initial off-the-lot depreciation just isn't worth it for us. We're specifically looking at a 2017 year model because it's the far more attractive second generation and the oldest (least expensive) year of the second generation.
This has been my auto shopping experience over the last 20 years, YMMV: I start out shopping for used and end up buying new. This is because the used vehicles were overpriced, attractive financing on new, new car warranty and peace of mind with known maintenance history. If I'd have found a CPO at a good price that could have change things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This has been my auto shopping experience over the last 20 years, YMMV: I start out shopping for used and end up buying new. This is because the used vehicles were overpriced, attractive financing on new, new car warranty and peace of mind with known maintenance history. If I'd have found a CPO at a good price that could have change things.
Valid points. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I bought my 2019 Ridgeline Sport, I looked at used ones. I found a used 2019 with 25,000 miles on it that was priced higher than I paid for my new one. Hondas are crazy like that. I bought an Accord back in 1993 that was the same way. Found a new one for cheaper than a used one.

Most recently I was shopping for a car for my Mom. She wanted a small SUV. I looked at used CR-Vs. Found a 2007 model with 84,000 miles...13 years old....they wanted $12,000 for it. Completely nuts! Wouldn't come of the price a penny. Said they sell them faster than they can find them.

Used cars, when you factor in the cost of repairs, etc. are no longer the bargain they used to be. I ended up finding a 2014 Buick Encore for my mom. One owner, maintenance records, great shape, with 90,000 miles on it and got out the door for less than they wanted for the CR-V. Mom is 84yo and drives about 1000 miles a year. So I think she's set for life. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I have a 2017 RTL AWD and have 37,000mi on it.
It's been perfect with no repairs (just the one gas pump cover recall)

Steve
Thanks for all of the info everyone!

We finally test drove one this weekend and we were both really impressed with the ride and handling, the spacious interior, the finishes, comfortable seats, and the high level of safety equipment. It definitely has plenty of power too. I'd also like to point out that I'm a pretty big guy at 6'5'' so finding any vehicle that I fit comfortably in is a feat!
The hidden trunk feature is a huge selling point for us as I can see that being extremely useful for stowing our expensive hiking and photography gear.

Our test drive was in a 2020 Black Edition but we're not looking at spending that much money. Also, we have no desire to ever own a black car! We're looking for a white or silver 2017 model with AWD now.

So this leads me to a question about the fuel pump cover Steve mentioned above.
Is there a sure-fire way to tell if the pump cover has been installed? Is it obvious or hidden? What should I look for? Any chance someone has a picture of it? Maybe even a before and after?

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
You could run the VIN against the NTSB database and see i guess. That's one way. Another would be to have the dealer run the VIN at Honda and see.
As for checking yourself I don't think you can as they pull the back seat out and access some hole in the floor for it.

Steve

21 - 25 of 25 Posts