Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum. So I've always been a truck guy Toyota but a few years ago got a Gladiator and loved it. Built it up for camping and crawling. Wife and I loved it. Problem is we moved to the county so longer commute to work and with gas and everything decided to trade it in. Wanted a Maverick but virtually impossible to find so I settled on a Bronco Sport base. Drives fine and averaging 30MPG with the almost 4,000 miles on it. The plan was to order a Maverick when they open up in August. But realizing how much we need a truck for house chores etc I randomly started looking at the Ridgeline. Test drove one and seems fairly decent loves the foldable seats and of course trunk. Was never a fan but kinda sold on the MPG hoping for around 22-23 MPG for mostly highway driving. Anyways, been browsing trucks for the past few days and stumbled upon a 2019 Ridgeline Black Edition for 32500 with only 49k miles. Clean title and history. Seems like a bargain with it being listed around 35k KBB for trade in. Are these things not selling that well aftermarket?My local market seems to think they do with the prices their giving. But the dealership says the Black Edition has been sitting on the lot for a while and they have it heavily discounted it. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do just seeing what others thought and the price seems great. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,231 Posts
Do a leak test on it (run it through a car wash a couple times, run a garden hose around the back window area) and make sure no water gets under the rear carpet.

Other than potential leaks, the only other big issue with 2017-2019 Ridgelines is that the six-speed automatic can be a weak spot. Based on forum postings, there may be 2-3% failure rate on that transmission. An extended Honda warranty can help allay any fears in that area.

Early 2019s (built prior to September 2019) have potential fuel injector issues, but the warranty has been extended on those. Also, a small number of early '19s may be affected by the fuel pump recall (carwash soap deteriorating the material around the pump and causing cracks), and fewer still may be affected by a timing belt recall.

Take a look at this thread:

One caveat: don't let the problem issues scare you too much. There are plenty of us out here with problem-free 2017-2019 Ridgelines. All vehicles have their issues... one only has to visit their respective forums for a while to get nervous about purchasing ANY vehicle!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do a leak test on it (run it through a car wash a couple times, run a garden hose around the back window area) and make sure no water gets under the rear carpet.

Other than potential leaks, the only other big issue with 2017-2019 Ridgelines is that the six-speed automatic can be a weak spot. Based on forum postings, there may be 2-3% failure rate on that transmission. An extended Honda warranty can help allay any fears in that area.

Early 2019s (built prior to September 2019) have potential fuel injector issues, but the warranty has been extended on those. Also, a small number of early '19s may be affected by the fuel pump recall (carwash soap deteriorating the material around the pump and causing cracks), and fewer still may be affected by a timing belt recall.

Take a look at this thread:

One caveat: don't let the problem issues scare you too much. There are plenty of us out here with problem-free 2017-2019 Ridgelines. All vehicles have their issues... one only has to visit their respective forums for a while to get nervous about purchasing ANY vehicle!
thanks that’s a great source for TSBs and recalls.It’s been a while since I’ve gotten a used vehicle and probably will get a warranty even though I usually don’t just in case. Use the vehicle for a few months and if nothing happens cancel it.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,231 Posts
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to transmission failures. Some occur as low as 15k miles, some at over 100k miles, many seem to be around 60k-80k miles. The base powertrain warranty is good for 5/60, so you're covered with that for a little while, 10k miles anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After visiting 6+ dealerships I recently bought a 2018 RTL-E with similar mileage for more than the listed price of that Black Edition.

If they'll actually sell it for $32,500 & it's clean, you should jump on it, but I'll bet $1.00 that $32,500 is not the out-the-door price, and I'm not referring to tax, tag, and title. EVERY dealership that I visited added on b.s fees to the price listed once I actually tried to buy their vehicle (rust proofing, delivery fees, prep fees, etc., which is one reason I ended up buying a truck from Carmax.

FYI: Personally I'd NEVER buy a used car without first taking it to a mechanic and having a pre-purchase inspection done, I don't care what the carfax says.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Even with gas at historic highs, going from a Gladiator to a Ridgeline may not make financial sense.

Have you actually run all the pertinent numbers? Let's assume the Ridgeline (22MPG) will average 4mpg better overall than the Jeep(18MPG). At $5 a gallon and doing 15K miles per year, the Jeep will cost less than $800 extra in fuel. Over 5 years that's 4 grand. Some will argue over the numbers used, so substitute whatever you think is valid, just so long as you actually do the math.

Sales tax, fees, etc will eat up much of the difference in fuel costs and I'm dubious that the dealer will let it go near that low a price without thousands tacked on in mud flaps, paint sealant and window etching.

Not saying it's a good or bad idea, only running the numbers will actually tell you. You don't really sound excited about the Ridgeline besides the MPG and if you do like your Gladiator, it would seem foolish to make such a sacrifice to save a small pittance in the end. If there's any actual net savings at all. If it were me, I'd keep the Gladiator until the Maverick you really want becomes more readily available. That won't take forever.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After visiting 6+ dealerships I recently bought a 2018 RTL-E with similar mileage for more than the listed price of that Black Edition.

If they'll actually sell it for $32,500 & it's clean, you should jump on it, but I'll bet $1.00 that $32,500 is not the out-the-door price, and I'm not referring to tax, tag, and title. EVERY dealership that I visited added on b.s fees to the price listed once I actually tried to buy their vehicle (rust proofing, delivery fees, prep fees, etc., which is one reason I ended up buying a truck from Carmax.

FYI: Personally I'd NEVER buy a used car without first taking it to a mechanic and having a pre-purchase inspection done, I don't care what the carfax says.
My out the door price is 27300. The actual sale price is 33600 because they add on a grand with security and window tint. But they are giving me 31.5k for my bronco sport which is more then what I paid for. So essentially it’s covering that extra fee. Like I said it’s been sitting on the lot for a while and they have dropped the price several times. The manager even said no one is interested in it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even with gas at historic highs, going from a Gladiator to a Ridgeline may not make financial sense.

Have you actually run all the pertinent numbers? Let's assume the Ridgeline (22MPG) will average 4mpg better overall than the Jeep(18MPG). At $5 a gallon and doing 15K miles per year, the Jeep will cost less than $800 extra in fuel. Over 5 years that's 4 grand. Some will argue over the numbers used, so substitute whatever you think is valid, just so long as you actually do the math.

Sales tax, fees, etc will eat up much of the difference in fuel costs and I'm dubious that the dealer will let it go near that low a price without thousands tacked on in mud flaps, paint sealant and window etching.

Not saying it's a good or bad idea, only running the numbers will actually tell you. You don't really sound excited about the Ridgeline besides the MPG and if you do like your Gladiator, it would seem foolish to make such a sacrifice to save a small pittance in the end. If there's any actual net savings at all. If it were me, I'd keep the Gladiator until the Maverick you really want becomes more readily available. That won't take forever.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.
I don’t have the Jeep anymore. I already traded it in. Plus if I still had it I would be saving 8-9mpg going to the Ridgeline and saving monthly payment. Your forgetting the Jeep is way more expensive. Virtually saving 250 a month in payment alone. Plus the Jeep got 12-13mpg with upgrades ie bigger tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Also, not a fan of carmax. Typically they overprice so bad it’s craziness plus a lot of their vehicles are rental cars which could be good or bad. They do offer an amazing warranty though but expensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well went to my local dealer to just see what they could do and ended up offering me a pretty good deal on a new 2022 Ridgeline RTL. Gave me 2k off msrp and overpaid for my Bronco. 5k over the 2019 Black Editon. Figured it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Well went to my local dealer to just see what they could do and ended up offering me a pretty good deal on a new 2022 Ridgeline RTL. Gave me 2k off msrp and overpaid for my Bronco. 5k over the 2019 Black Editon. Figured it was worth it.
I have a 2019 RTL and like it a lot - no problems so far at 33k miles - but though more expensive the 2022 with a warranty and no miles is likely a better long-term bet. And I've read so many comments by people just hoping to get one at MSRP, so sounds like a good deal to me.

Congrats, and....pics, please!

Reactions: longboat

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Car Vehicle Grille Wheel Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Pics please
I have a 2019 RTL and like it a lot - no problems so far at 33k miles - but though more expensive the 2022 with a warranty and no miles is likely a better long-term bet. And I've read so many comments by people just hoping to get one at MSRP, so sounds like a good deal to me.

Congrats, and....pics, please!
Ya I think the 2019 would have been fine but for 5k more makes sense to go new with the 9sp tranny and better front end. I’ve never been a Ridgeline guy and have always talked trash about it but wow does this thing drive like a caddy. My trip home it was so smooth and quiet! Plus, I’ve never had so many luxurious items ie leather, sun roof, and key features of opening and closing. Thanks for the help guys here are a few pics. The OB color wouldn’t have been my first choice but I think it looks great with the grey wheels. My only grip so far is the chrome! Why do manufacturers keep putting chrome on vehicles! Stop it!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Beautiful truck! Congratulations!

Reactions: andrew8404

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Ya I think the 2019 would have been fine but for 5k more makes sense to go new with the 9sp tranny and better front end. I’ve never been a Ridgeline guy and have always talked trash about it but wow does this thing drive like a caddy. My trip home it was so smooth and quiet! Plus, I’ve never had so many luxurious items ie leather, sun roof, and key features of opening and closing. Thanks for the help guys here are a few pics. The OB color wouldn’t have been my first choice but I think it looks great with the grey wheels. My only grip so far is the chrome! Why do manufacturers keep putting chrome on vehicles! Stop it!!
Good move, and beautiful truck. I have the obsidian blue, and after 2.5 years still love it.

The RL really shines on the road. We go about 25 miles on hilly, winding two-lane country roads to get to the lake, and it's a breeze - including the last 3 miles of gravel hills.

Reactions: andrew8404
1 - 20 of 41 Posts