Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this writing, the Ridgeline news "embargo" should be lifted in 2 hours.

I suspect there will be bunch of stories as soon as the embargo is lifted. I'd suggest that we post them (or the links) here so that we have one-stop shopping to get the latest news.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK folks, I'm going to pause and look at the ones that are posted. Keep posting them here.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just finished watching the 30 min video from TFL Truck. The only surprise to me was the goofball test driver (Roman?) declaring the Ridgeline to be the quietest truck he has ever driven.

·
Registered
488 Posts
From Autoblog:

?2017 Honda Ridgeline First Drive

"...In a nutshell, the Ridgeline is a pickup truck for rational people. Problem is, pickup buyers haven't proven themselves to be rational people. To wit, Honda says that 90 percent of midsize truck owners will never actually tow anything. Yet towing remains a key purchase consideration highlighted by buyers. Another example: You'll notice the 2017 Ridgeline sits a bit higher on its rear haunches than the last model. That's because focus groups said pickups with higher truck beds looked like they could haul more weight…"

·
Registered
488 Posts
From R&T:

2017 Honda Ridgeline First Drive - Ridgeline Road Test

"...On the road, the Ridgeline cruises in ultimate smoothness and comfort, cushioning away all road imperfections and cocooning you in a luxuriously quiet ride. Getting out of the Ridgeline and into one of the brand-new Toyota Tacomas or Chevy Colorados that Honda brought along for comparison was like stepping backward 30 years in chassis design. On worn Texas pavement, the Ridgeline absolutely erased the small-amplitude pavement ripples that juddered the Tacoma, and the body-on-frame groans that the two traditional trucks made over larger pavement imperfections were entirely absent in the Honda…"

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
From R&T:

2017 Honda Ridgeline First Drive - Ridgeline Road Test

"...On the road, the Ridgeline cruises in ultimate smoothness and comfort, cushioning away all road imperfections and cocooning you in a luxuriously quiet ride. Getting out of the Ridgeline and into one of the brand-new Toyota Tacomas or Chevy Colorados that Honda brought along for comparison was like stepping backward 30 years in chassis design. On worn Texas pavement, the Ridgeline absolutely erased the small-amplitude pavement ripples that juddered the Tacoma, and the body-on-frame groans that the two traditional trucks made over larger pavement imperfections were entirely absent in the Honda…"
Been saying this all along. The balls from bumpers folks will still bemoan the two rating even though 90% of folks don't tow anything.

Reviews are good. Independent suspension crushes as a driving vehicle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
From C&D:

2017 Honda Ridgeline First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

"...As before, the interior of the Ridgeline positively embarrasses the competition. It feels enormous and comfortable front and rear. The flip-up rear seat remains, providing yet another yawning, weather-protected storage cavity when raised and hiding up to 2.9 cubic feet—enough for at least one golf bag—beneath seated passengers. The primary storage location, the bed, now is four inches longer than before, at 64 inches, which makes it longer than those of the crew-cab Tacoma and the short-bed Colorado but 10 inches shorter than a long-box Chevy. And the Ridgeline is the only truck in the class that can take a four-by-eight-foot sheet of building material (or a four-by-eight-foot medieval triptych) laying flat between the wheel wells…"

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Pretty good video review. In the comments section there is the usual ignorant comment that "real trucks" can't be unibody construction.
Same as 10 years ago, nothing new. They ignorize that stuff but fail to grasp the 5 star crash rating of the unibody chassis, how it's safer, and of course drives so much better. AWD, the electronic nannies, and the unibody make it one of the safest vehicles on the road. Body on frames don't ride nearly as well.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The complete 10 part Press Kit, with everything you want to know, can be found here:

Honda News
Great info...thanks for posting! There's a lot to like/love about the Gen2, and many things are improved greatly. I'm sure the majority of RL fans will be pleased. But sadly for me, off-road capability appears to be compromised from Gen1.

Joe nailed it on the tire size and ground clearance. The show trucks had phony tires on them (WTF?). The real ones are two sizes smaller like the Pilot (245/60X18) and ground clearance drops to 7.9 inches. But don't count on putting a full size tire in the spare tire tray 'cause apparently it won't fit. The LPL says you can mount that on the front bed wall if you need to. I'm also inclined to believe Joe's intel that lifting the truck even an inch or two will be incompatible with the driveline.

Approach angle is reduced from 24.5 to 20.1 while departure angle is essentially the same at 22.1. Break-over angle is an unimpressive 19.6. One last carp: you have to go all the way up to the RTL-E or Black Edition to get a back window that will slide open. At least that could become standard on lower trims in the future, whereas I doubt Honda will offer anything to improve off-road capability on this generation truck.

Despite all the hype at the press event about off-road competence (crossing a creek, driving through mud, negotiating obstacles, etc.), it looks to me like they delivered a Gen2 that can't go everywhere the Gen1 could. It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer when the testers push the new RL to its limits in a real off-road challenge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did anyone get to tow with it? I'm really interested in how it tows 4k pounds. If it's worse than the Tacoma, then it rules it out for me.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
"Note that the CarPlay system will not work using the USB port located inside the Ridgeline’s center console."

WHAT? So instead of tucking your iPhone away in the center console and neatly hiding the USB cable, you have to string a cable across the interior to use CarPlay? That's plain stupid. No wireless CarPlay support, either? That's another fail.

"In addition, the LED headlights last up to three times longer than HID headlights and up to six times longer than halogen headlights – contributing to less frequent replacement and the associated cost savings."

WHAT? Fox News must have written that line. While LEDs might last 6 times longer than halogen bulbs, the LEDs themselves are integrated into the headlight housing and are not replaceable as an individual item unlike HID and halogen headlights. Replacement costs for a single LED headlamp assembly currently range between $500-$2,500. Halogen bulbs are $10. HID bulbs are $50.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts