Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I though I would put this out to the best and brightest on the forum,

Purchased new, some dealer servicing, some in my driveway.

I'm handy with vehicles and set out 5 weeks ago to do the rear diff fluid change and the transmission.

Fluids from the mother ship along with the overpriced aluminum gaskets for the drain and fill plugs.

No issues at all other than a bit of a scrape on one of my knuckles.
Did some math today and checked the leftovers and it seems I have 200ml more than is called for in the trans,
When the job was complete I checked the level, test drove for a few miles and then rechecked. Fluid was between the two holes on the dipstick.

Thoughts?
Vehicle drives just fine, smooth shifts, back and forth to work, 16miles one way. No towing or loads in the bed.

Thanks in advance,

Eric in Tampa Bay

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Well, 200mi is certainly a hair off a gnat's butt in the big scheme of things. When is the last time you changed the transfer box? (70-90w). Worth checking out.

Sounds like you are keeping the RL on the road to a long life!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
As long as you check it hot, after the fans kick in, in park, on a level area, within 60-90 seconds after shut down. Check the dipstick and your between the low & high mark.

Ignore the math

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight folks.
I have not done the transfer case yet as that project is on track for this weekend.

As for the transmission i'm thinking the 200ml is a small issue as mentioned.

I will do a recheck again this weekend.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,908 Posts
I though I would put this out to the best and brightest on the forum,

Purchased new, some dealer servicing, some in my driveway.

I'm handy with vehicles and set out 5 weeks ago to do the rear diff fluid change and the transmission.

Fluids from the mother ship along with the overpriced aluminum gaskets for the drain and fill plugs.

No issues at all other than a bit of a scrape on one of my knuckles.
Did some math today and checked the leftovers and it seems I have 200ml more than is called for in the trans,
When the job was complete I checked the level, test drove for a few miles and then rechecked. Fluid was between the two holes on the dipstick.

Thoughts?
Vehicle drives just fine, smooth shifts, back and forth to work, 16miles one way. No towing or loads in the bed.

Thanks in advance,

Eric in Tampa Bay
Eric, if by 200 ml over, you mean you put in 3.5 qts instead of 3.3 qts, I find a D&F on my RL also takes 3.5 qts to put the level between the marks on the dipstick.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Eric, if by 200 ml over, you mean you put in 3.5 qts instead of 3.3 qts, I find a D&F on my RL also takes 3.5 qts to put the level between the marks on the dipstick.
I read it as 200 mi(les) over due!!! That 'i' was an L...

·
Registered
55 Posts
3.3 qts just touches the lower limit on my 2011 rl, asked the dealer and they said they dont go by the dip-stick and thats the correct amount.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,908 Posts
I read it as 200 mi(les) over due!!! That 'i' was an L...
No, I don't think it's miles. I believe it's quantity, based on the way it's stated and the context:

"Did some math today and checked the leftovers and it seems I have 200ml more than is called for in the trans,
When the job was complete I checked the level, test drove for a few miles and then rechecked. Fluid was between the two holes on the dipstick."

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Did the fluid changes a couple of days ago, and I experienced the same. Appx 200 ml "too much" into the tranny, but the level on the dipstick is at top mark. No issues so far.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
I just to the best of my ability "Measure" the output, and then replace it with similar amounts. Ultimately I'd really like to know how to place 10 qts in one container and have the transmission "suck in" and "dump out" all 8.5 qts at once. FWIW

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
No, I don't think it's miles. I believe it's quantity, based on the way it's stated and the context:

"Did some math today and checked the leftovers and it seems I have 200ml more than is called for in the trans,
When the job was complete I checked the level, test drove for a few miles and then rechecked. Fluid was between the two holes on the dipstick."
I know you are right. I cleaned my glasses today.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
Not going to be a big deal. 3.5 quarts typically gets me to about 3/4 of the way to the top line of the dipstick. I like to keep it there and I've never had an issue. Check it again just for good measure according to Honda specs (operating temp, level ground, 60-90 sec after shutting the engine off).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts