Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -
(first of all - thanks for the great site - very helpful)
I am ready to purchase my next vehicle - I own a 1992 Accord and a 1983 Accord prior to that. I have wanted a truck for years and prior to the Ridgeline, I was ready to buy a double cab tundra.

I still may need to buy the Tundra if i can't tow my boat with the Ridgeline. SOOOOO - here is the question - can I pull it off?

Let me give exact details. I have read a bunch of the posts in this site (awesome site by the way!!!!!!!) and I have read some of the technical language, but still leaves me confused so let me give you my exact specificications. All help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2004 Malibu RLXI (ski boat). It weighs 2800 lbs. The tandom axel trailer weighs 1300lbs. I called the trailer company and they said it had a tongue weight of 350lbs to 425lbs depending on the load in the boat. Gas weighs about 250 lbs with full tank.

Add myself, wife and kids into the weight of the vehicle (extra 500lbs).

So where does that put me? Can I pull this off and if so - by how much? I have read other threads of people pulling 3500lbs okay and doing well on hills, excelleration, etc. However, the way I am adding all this up, this will put me at 2800lbs + 1300lbs + 250lbs (total of 4350lbs for trailer) plus RL and passengers.

From reading other posts, i'm not sure if i have to actually add the tongue weight to the total (and if so - why?). So based on all my numbers given - what is the ACTUAL TOWING LOAD of my boat?

Also, since i will be pushing the towing capacity to the limit - will this end up dropping the back end of the RL significantly? I noticed that the RL doesn't have load levelers.

THIS IS THE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT ISSUE FOR ME. I really would like to buy the RL, but if I can't tow my boat - then I'm afraid I'll have to go with the Tundra (not a bad option - but the RL has some incredible feature - plus - it's a HONDA!!!!!)

thanks for all the help,
Future RTL RL owner.

L

·
0 Posts
Towing Capacity: The maximum weight of a trailer and its contents that a vehicle can tow.

GCW: The actual weight of a vehicle ( loaded or unloaded ) combined with the actual weight of a trailer ( loaded or unloaed )

GCWR: Tha maximum allowable weight of a vehicle ( loaded or unloaded ) combined with the maximum allowable weight of a trialer ( loaded or unloaded )

Tongue Weight: The weight of a trailer coming down at the hitch itself, that is, the weight that a trailer places on the back of a tow vehicle.

The tongue weight should be 10% to 12% of the gross trailer weight ( trailer plus trailer load ) For example, a trailer with a gross weight of 5,000 pounds will have a maximum tongue weight range of 500-600 pounds.

Curb Weight: The weight of the empty vehicle including fuel, coolants, lubricants, tools, spare tire and standard equipment. The Ridgeline's curb weight is 4,498 pounds.

Payload: The weight of the cargo, options and people to be carried by the vehicle. The payload also includes the Tongue Weight of a trailer if a trailer is being towed.

For the Ridgeline:

Maximum total payload ( payload rating ) 1,554 pounds
Bed payload: 1,100 pounds.
Tailgate payload: 300 pounds

GVWR: The maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, all occupants, all cargo and the tongue load is 6,050 pounds. The Gross Vehicle Weight must not exceed the manufacturers GVWR.

Gross Axel Weight Rating: The maximum load-carrying capacity of the axel as measured with the tires on the ground. The front end and rear axels are rated separatley. The Gross Vehicle Weight also must not exceed the trucks Gross Axel Weight Rating.

For the Ridgeline:
Gross Axel Weight Rating front axel: 3,105 pounds
Gross Axel Weight Rating rear axel: 3,242 pounds

Payload and Towing Capacity:
Three fully boxed ultra high-strenght-steel cross members under the bed give it the strenght to support 1,100 pounds. The body, chassis and drivetrain are all reinforced and strenghtened to safely and comfortably tow a full 5,000 pounds.

Honda recommends the class III hitch for the Ridgeline because the towing capacity is 5,000 pounds.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ladyridge - it helps a little - however - I've read all this and still leaves me a bit confused.

you wrote: The payload also includes the Tongue Weight of a trailer if a trailer is being towed.

So if I understand correctly, the tongue weight does NOT count towards the 5000lbs on what the RL can tow, but rather counts up at the payload end? In other words, with my combined boat, trailer, and boat gas weight of 4350 lbs, that still leaves me with 650lbs i could potencially add to the boat?

If you or someone else could interpret the info you provided (which is awesome!) with my specific weights (specs) i included that would be the most beneficial to me.

thanks again,

one more question:

you wrote: The tongue weight should be 10% to 12% of the gross trailer weight ( trailer plus trailer load ) For example, a trailer with a gross weight of 5,000 pounds will have a maximum tongue weight range of 500-600 pounds.

What does the tongue weight RANGE have to do with anything? My trailer has a sticker that says 600lbs -but that is just what it is rated at - but not what the ACTUAL tongue weight is. If i understand correctly, I'm only concerned with what my tongue weight actually is and not what it can potencially handle?????

L

·
0 Posts
I actually typed this verbatum from a section of the book we were given in early February during the ride and drive for Honda employees called Trucks 101. The book is called "Strong New Road". It includes Knowledge , skill and performance with regard to the Ridgeline. If I find the time today, I will scan and post it complete with pictures OR I can copy it and fax it to you. Which ever works best.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
csd said:
...the tongue weight does NOT count towards the 5000lbs on what the RL can tow, but rather counts up at the payload end? In other words, with my combined boat, trailer, and boat gas weight of 4350 lbs, that still leaves me with 650lbs i could potencially add to the boat?

...The tongue weight should be 10% to 12% of the gross trailer weight (trailer plus trailer load) For example, a trailer with a gross weight of 5,000 pounds will have a maximum tongue weight range of 500-600 pounds.

What does the tongue weight RANGE have to do with anything?...
You understand LadyRidge correctly. You have a little room to spare (650 lbs) toward the 5,000 lb towing capacity. The tongue weight counts toward the payload of the truck. The 10-12% range insures that the weight is correctly distributed on the trailer. If the weight on the trailer is too far to the rear of the trailer axles you can acutally have negative tongue weight and a trailer that will fish-tail like crazy. If the weight is too far front of the trailer axles your tongue weight will increase putting extra load on your hitch and adding to the payload of the truck. The only way to adjust this it to adjust where your boat sits on the trailer. Foward to increase tongue weight-back to reduce it.

If the trailer company is correct and your trailer's tongue weight is 350-425 lbs. you should be OK. This sounds a little low however if your calculations for the boat and trailer are accurate (425 is less than 10% of 4350). Your in the ball park, so iI the trailer rides OK as is I wouldn't mess with it.

If you can find a truck stop that is not too busy, for $50 you can weigh the boat & trailer and get axle weights. Disconnect the trailer from the boat and get a weight on your landing gear and that should be very close to your actual tongue weight also.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The dealers are motivated to sell these trucks. It I were you I would suggest that the dealer let you try towing your boat a few miles before signing on the dotted line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised - I've been to two dealerships and neither would let me tow (even though they both had about 7 RL's on the lot).

It sounds like from what everyone is saying that I might be able to pull this off!

From a practical standpoint - anyone tried towing yet with the total load (vehicle, trailer, cargo etc.) being right around the 10000lb mark? I know it is a V-6 and not a V-8 - but how does the RL handle with that huge of a load? How is the breaking? How about the tongue weight of the trailer bottoming out the back end of the RL?

And the big question - are the RPM's pinned at around 4000rpm's all the time going down the freeway at 70mph or does it do okay?

·
Registered
460 Posts
csd said:
I'm surprised - I've been to two dealerships and neither would let me tow (even though they both had about 7 RL's on the lot).

It sounds like from what everyone is saying that I might be able to pull this off!

From a practical standpoint - anyone tried towing yet with the total load (vehicle, trailer, cargo etc.) being right around the 10000lb mark? I know it is a V-6 and not a V-8 - but how does the RL handle with that huge of a load? How is the breaking? How about the tongue weight of the trailer bottoming out the back end of the RL?

And the big question - are the RPM's pinned at around 4000rpm's all the time going down the freeway at 70mph or does it do okay?
CSD, I can't speak about towing....i haven't towed yet. i do know i have read a previous post about an rl owner towing his boat and trailer without any problem...just can remember what thread its under....sorry. but its on here somewhere..............but i can tell you at 70 mph rpm is at 1900-2000. its fine.....im averaging just over 20 mpg in the ridge....have gotten as much as 21.8 two weeks ago.....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
csd, send a private message or e-mail to "fireball". His boat looks pretty big. It's got to be comparable to what you are wanting to pull.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought my Ridgeline with towing capacity as a MAJOR consideration. I weighed my boat/trailer and the axel weight is 4700#. I have only towed the boat once for about 15 miles but it towed very nicely including up a steep hill on city streets. I am planning to get out over the 4th of July weekend and will try to get some photos and more info as I plan a longer towing distance (mostly on the freeway).

I HAVE towed our folding tent trailer extensively with the Ridgeline - in summary - I hardly know it is behind me even on VERY steep mountain highways. We had one outing with 4 adults and a 2 year old, camping trailer and gear. It was comfortable for all.

Only problem I've had is that I haven't put a full tank of gas through yet without some off road, heavy load, or towing time on it to find out my best gas mileage.

Also: Had one very looooong uphill grade in 107 f heat with A/C on and camping trailer in tow - engine temp needle never wavered from its usual place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
csd said:

Not surprised they would be hesitant. I would not want to accept the potential liability for your trailer & boat or the potential damage to the truck, if something happened during the test drive. the dealer has to trust that you know how to drive for the test drive, but it is asking a bit much that he should have to believe you are an experienced towing a trailer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jeffiam said:
Plus They Would Have Had To Installed A Hitch For You To Even Be Able To Do That.............uhhhh, Not Gonna Happen.
They install all sorts of options on them...I've got a loaner RTL right now with a hitch installed until mine comes in next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both dealers I visited had RL's with a vehicle fully loaded - including tow package. The dealer's vehicle was also an RL with a tow package.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am going to tell you right now not to try what I am saying, but I was with someone the other day that has a Ridgeline and towed in excess of 5000lb and said it did great the entire time including some steep mountain climbs. The boat and trailer is about 5100lb total so he decided to chance it. Apparently this isn't his boat so it was a one time thing. This was a guy waiting for accessories to be installed on his Ridgeline at a dealership sitting up in the service waiting room with me (I was in to have my wife's Civic serviced and test drove a Ridgeline about 20 minutes later). He said he had 3 other adults in the car and gear in the back of the truck.

I can't speak for myself because I haven't received my truck yet, and honestly I don't have a trailer, although I will have a hitch. My hitch will be for holding up a boat on the roof using a Tule T. Even if I were to tow something it would likely be my grandfather's 1000 lb trailer which shouldn't be an issue at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes - i did check out post #10. - thanks. I sent an email to "fireball" already. Hopefully I will hear back.

Good to hear 5100lbs was actually attempted by someone. I can't imagine any v-6 doing well in hills though - even if it is a honda.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts