Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm a travel nurse that drives all over the country for my job. Originally from Virginia but currently in Omaha, NE. My Dad and my brother (both auto body guys) recently had two 2017 Ridgeline's in their shop and both couldn't stop talking about how well built the truck was. It was easy to replace parts and they couldn't believe how quiet/smooth the ride was. I started doing research and I'm starting to fall in love with the thing, but I have a 2005 Honda Element that has been so good to me, I can't stand to let it go. It's just getting harder to put up with the bad wind noise, the feeling like I'm going to get blown over in the Midwest at high speeds, struggling to get my 4 cylinder engine over the Rockies, and having to manually adjust my cruise control to the person in front of me. Is it worth the car payment to upgrade?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Oooohhhh YA. I know you Element owners are very possessive. But you will not believe the RL!! Like an Element on steroids.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Honestly, if I had to make payments for a new car, or just keep my old one... I'd keep the old one, especially if I didn't need a change in capability.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Laura,

I know the feeling. I had a 2003 Avalanche that did everything I wanted it to do and I had it since it came off the factory floor. Was hard to part ways and hand over the cash. BUT... it was showing its age and I could drop a bunch of money into it and it still would not be back to where it was in its youth... I still miss the truck but am soo happy with the Rl-RTL-E I bought the end of Dec.

You have to look at your needs. What does the RL give you your current car is lacking? Are you dropping money on repairs now that might equal a car payment many months? As much as we all like our RL's here, does it give you what YOU need for your life style.

Only you can make that balance. I miss the Avalanche but the RL has been a good move for how I use a truck.

Good Luck on the decision.

Hawk

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Laura I think a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E is a perfect vehicle for you.
I know it's hard to get rid of a vehicle but at some point if you use it as a travel vehicle or daily driver you got to get something newer. My Acura is 17yrs old I purchased it new and it still rides good but has gremlins as I call it. By that I am saying something goes wrong with it more often than when it was say 6-7 years old.
The car was constantly on the road I felt comfortable driving it with my elderly mother in it. She can't climb up into a tow truck if it breaks down on the road.
I picked out a 2007 Ridgeline for my sister 10yrs ago and she loves it basically for the way it drives.
She keeps it on the road an awful lot I drove it the first 2yrs constantly and would just switch vehicles with her when I traveled. I was at the 2008 Honda Element/Ridgeline combo Meet Tour of Honda Plant and TRC.
Some very nice Elements came to the meet learned a lot about them. But you will enjoy the ride of 2017 Ridgeline. You also gain an in-bed trunk that you can secure things in big plus over Element.
Search the Mr. Truck video 2017 Ridgeline drive towing trailer ATVs with family up Rockies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Laura, I too just went through the heartache of trading in my 2010 Element a day ago for a 2017 Ridgeline RTL and so far I couldn't be happier. I'm very impressed with the handling, quietness, mpgs and overall versatility. That said, it's not an Element and there will always be a special place in my heart for my E.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
You're the only one who can decide whether the total cost & payments of a new RL are "worth it". The only way to know for sure is to figure out which RL model you want & the cost. Sometimes putting the pros & cons of each vehicle on paper makes the decision a bit more obvious or easier. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I have had my RTL-T AWD for 4 1/2 months an have no issues with it to date. I thought I wanted and "E" but refused to pay the rediculous difference in price. I have a few nitpicking gripes that will most likely go away with time; the wimpy armrest for one, headlights not as bright as I would like, wish the rear door had a bit more swing on opening, and the GPS has messed me up a little. Over all the ride and drive is great, the MPG very satisfactory as my last fillup was 25.2 and that is not bad for an AWD. The engine response and the smooth 6 spped transmission are awesome, plenty of power. I am not a novice RL owner, this is my 4th after 3 GEN I's since the kickoff in 2005. From your OP I would think this would be an ideal vehicle for you. Best of luck on your decision. Keep us posted on your decision.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Congrats on Your "Soon To Be" New G2 RL.

Welcome to the ROC.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride!

·
Registered
35 Posts
L C... I'm a local Omaha resident and I hope you enjoy your stay in this great city. Yes I understand your thoughts and feelings, my 2006 Altima has 260,000 miles on her and it can haul 50 bags of mulch at a time ! I sometimes use it as a truck LOL. But as I have been doing the research on the RL and just biding my time before I pull the trigger on a new unit. I only with the Scarlet Pearl would show up a dealers lot. I would jump at it if was the RTL E. As for payments well it's life we all most likely have some type of car payment until the day the pine box shows up. Buy it and enjoy it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts