Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Powder Coating your wheels

Just wondering if anyone has had their factory wheels powder coated. I have a new RTL-T AWD on order and I'm not particularly fond of the factory wheels, they are not totally ugly, but they need something to enhance the RL. Since mine will be Modern Steel\ Gray Leather I was thinking of have the wheels powder coated in either gloss black or a color to match the Modern Steel color. The RTL-T wheels appear to be the same wheels used on the BE, but not painted black, so I can pretty much see pics on how they would look on my Modern Steel color RL, If someone could PhotoShop that for me I would be thankful. I have also been looking and a set of 2016 Pilot Touring wheels (new takeoff) that can be had for around $450, only problem here is they are 20" wheels and I would have to buy new tires, plus power coating, the price just keeps going up. Anyway just wanted to something to set my RL apart from others, without spending $1500-$2000 for wheels and tires.

trainman

· Registered
5 Posts
Powder Coating your wheels

Just wondering if anyone has had their factory wheels powder coated. I have a new RTL-T AWD on order and I'm not particularly fond of the factory wheels, they are not totally ugly, but they need something to enhance the RL. Since mine will be Modern Steel\ Gray Leather I was thinking of have the wheels powder coated in either gloss black or a color to match the Modern Steel color. The RTL-T wheels appear to be the same wheels used on the BE, but not painted black, so I can pretty much see pics on how they would look on my Modern Steel color RL, If someone could PhotoShop that for me I would be thankful. I have also been looking and a set of 2016 Pilot Touring wheels (new takeoff) that can be had for around $450, only problem here is they are 20" wheels and I would have to buy new tires, plus power coating, the price just keeps going up. Anyway just wanted to something to set my RL apart from others, without spending $1500-$2000 for wheels and tires.

trainman
I too think the 2021-22 stock wheels on the Ridgeline look way too plain and offer no visual differentiation. I have a service set up to PVD chrome plate my wheels at a cost of about $900. This should offer the look that I desire.

· Registered
2022 Black Edition (black) 18Nov21
530 Posts
@Mark Davis - in case you weren’t aware, you’re responding to a post that’s 5 1/2 years old.

Setting that aside, what color truck are you planning on putting the chrome wheels on. At 9 bills a little pricey. But if it comes out as you expect I bet these will be show stoppers!

Post pics when done. Suggest you start new thread called New Chrome Wheels or something like that. Many of us would like to check them out.

Gusto!

· Registered
350 Posts
I know little about this…..but i have always heard that powder coating weakens the alloy. Something about heat and/or process required to powder coat a wheel is enough to weaken the metal alloy. Some wheel manufacturers void their warranty if you powder coat it.

· Registered
350 Posts
Found this on web: “It is not so much the powdercoating itself, it is the process... which involves stripping the paint by sandblasting and could lead to thousands of micro-cracks, which can only get bigger. chemical removal of the existing paint is preferred. additionally, many degrease the wheels by baking them in a high temp oven and that in itself can cause damage. the powdercoating occurs at a low enough temp as to not cause substantial aging, but it does in theory age it some.”

· Registered
2022 Black Edition (black) 18Nov21
530 Posts
Found this on web: “It is not so much the powdercoating itself, it is the process... which involves stripping the paint by sandblasting and could lead to thousands of micro-cracks, which can only get bigger. chemical removal of the existing paint is preferred. additionally, many degrease the wheels by baking them in a high temp oven and that in itself can cause damage. the powdercoating occurs at a low enough temp as to not cause substantial aging, but it does in theory age it some.”
Interesting. Great info BTW. Yet 1,000s of car/truck owners have this done every year. As a matter of fact, I had my 2015 Corvette wheels powder coated. Let’s just say it’s probably good I didn’t know this at the time. I definitely put those through some serious stress test adventures.

FYI - I no longer have the Vette but wish I did!

Gusto!

· Registered
2021 rtl
182 Posts
I have a white 2021 rtl with grey wheels thats the only grey color on my rtl everthing is black & white. Yesterday I went to a local shop to get a estmate on powered coating my wheels and center caps. Only $540.00 total . and they offer a one day service !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.