Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 48 of the 2017 Ridgeline's manual.
Power folding mirrors *if so equipped.
I do not see folding mirrors as an option anywhere.....?

I am already irritated that the specs state 'locking tailgate'- which is not true.

At over $40K - folding mirrors are expected - as is a locking
tailgate.

I wonder if these two item will be offered as options later on??

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,941 Posts
Power-folding mirrors: Canada only.

Reactions: GreginJaxFL

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
At over $40K - folding mirrors are expected - as is a locking
tailgate.

I wonder if these two item will be offered as options later on??
FWIW, the outside mirrors do fold, just not power folding...The Canadians get the power folding, along with cooled seats, too. I would like to think they will add these to the top lines at some point in the future for US models, since they already exist and are installed on the same assembly line...it'll be up to the bean counters.

Also, pop & lock, amongst others, are working on a insert for the back tailgate that will lock the tailgate automatically with the FOB buttons. Can't speak to the cost, yet; however, one for a Tacoma is $90ish and installation is 'medium' difficulty. They may choose not to do this as the locking trunk in the bed already exists...hard to say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any idea if power folding can be added to existing US mirrors?

Reactions: joeulv

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Any idea if power folding can be added to existing US mirrors?
I would imagine that some enterprising individual could do it by purchasing the mirror assemblies through a Canadian parts source and then installing them with a rocker switch inside. Sounds cost prohibitive though, and not worth the effort unless those mirror assemblies are cheap, and I doubt that they are.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wow this is hugely disappointing. I read the specs on the website and swear I saw power folding mirrors but I just checked again and sure enough nothing about power folding. This is a big deal for me because it will likely keep the truck from being park-able in my garage (it's a very tight fit). Come on Honda!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Knowing Honda maybe the left the wiring for folding mirrors the US version. And a part swap might work but this is just a theory.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Blame us tariffs. Canada always gets better because of it. They cheapen the cars for the US to compete price wise with the Big three. It's been this way for a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are all Ridgelines manufactured in Alabama? I wonder if there is any way to purchase one destined for Canada........??

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Are all Ridgelines manufactured in Alabama? I wonder if there is any way to purchase one destined for Canada........??
You could actually buy one in Canada and bring it over the border (I've read it's not a ridiculous process...maybe someone can comment); however, my understanding is that for warranty matters, you'd have to go back to Canada...which would suck....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Knowing Honda maybe the left the wiring for folding mirrors the US version. And a part swap might work but this is just a theory.
Most manufacturers do this. It is cheaper to produce one or two wiring harnesses and use all across the board, vs a different harness for each trim. If I can actually find someone with a RT in stock I am curious if this is true with the fog light wires. Over on the Tacoma forum there are a few post of unidentified/unused connectors on lower trims. The biggest factor would be the cost of the mirror assembly, probably not cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am presently shopping for a Gen2 (possibly an RTL-E) Ridgeline and asked the salesman why the tailgate did not lock. He said he thought it did and promised to get back to me. I recently received this email: "
Thanks for visiting us for a test drive Tuesday. I am not sure exactly why Honda has done this but it looks like the RT is the only model that has a locking tailgate. The trunk and all the other doors, of course, are lockable on all trim levels, but for some reason all other trim levels above RT do not have a lockable tailgates."
I haven't personally checked an RT to verify this yet.
Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good luck on that. Cant even get Bernardi parts to order Canadian parts. I tried to Canada horns for my Accord since ours are like civics and theirs are like trucks. They can't get Canadian parts. I ended up using horns from the mini van. Maybe a Canadian dealer would sell us the parts? Its possible that we have the wiring and place and maybe not.

If you went to Canada and bought one you'd have to pay an import tax or something. Its 15% tax. I work with Canadians and asked about it.

Thats why JDM parts were so popular. Not only were they different and OEM but they were parts that we didn't get here and they were better. JDM Civics in the 1990's had climate control. No 1990 civic here had that.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,469 Posts
What if I drove my RL to Canada, bought the parts I wanted and installed them, only a receipt would exist, and I could leave that in the hotel room;)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I am presently shopping for a Gen2 (possibly an RTL-E) Ridgeline and asked the salesman why the tailgate did not lock. He said he thought it did and promised to get back to me. I recently received this email: "
Thanks for visiting us for a test drive Tuesday. I am not sure exactly why Honda has done this but it looks like the RT is the only model that has a locking tailgate. The trunk and all the other doors, of course, are lockable on all trim levels, but for some reason all other trim levels above RT do not have a lockable tailgates."
I haven't personally checked an RT to verify this yet.
Steve
:act024::act024:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any update on if there is a way to order the power folding mirrors from Canada for a US address? And if the wiring harness is ready to power it? We have a garage with a tight fit and in assumed this would not be a problem (actually I assumed it had power folding mirrors!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
What if I drove my RL to Canada, bought the parts I wanted and installed them, only a receipt would exist, and I could leave that in the hotel room;)
This is what some of my friends did with tires for their cars before, when the Canadian dollar was on par with the US dollar.

Drive down to the States and bought and installed tires on their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The wiring may be there, but I wouldn't count on it. Is the switch there on US models? It is a push on/push off button in the top left of the mirror control switch.

Don't forget the Canadian model also has the signal lights built in. Wiring for that? Also, what color? The power folding mirrors are on the Touring and BE, so are body color matched. You're not going to just walk into a dealership and pick them up over the counter. The warehouse in Calgary and Toronto may have some models in stock, but I'd expect every other dealership would have to order them.

Even standard accessories like the body side moulding and lighted door sill trims had to be ordered in for mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really wish we could come up with a solution for this. Very tight fit in my garage, have hit the mirrors several times. I fold in my driver side mirror in when pulling in the garage but i need it out to see backing out of the garage. Currently looking into the cost of widening my garage door. I know it sounds tacky but i was even trying to figure a way for an extension to reach the passenger mirror and pull it in and push it back out when i leave.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts