Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a used ridgeline with 110k miles. My goal is to establish a good maintenance baseline for service. I will be replacing the p.s. fluid and reservoir in the next few weeks when I can get all of the parts and fluids here. Since the vehicle is almost 10 years old, would you recommend I change out all the hoses while I have everything apart? Or is that really not necessary? I am doing the radiator and hoses when I can get one in as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would inspect them well...is there something wrong with the reservoir? I have the original reservoir and hoses on my 06 Accord's P.S. system...I just emptied the reservoir on it, filled with new honda fluid, started car, moved wheel some, emptied again and refilled...think I did this 3 times...curious to what others say, is this the best way on the RLs?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
I think I'd side with "inspect" and then go on from there. And several have just disassembled the PS Res to empty and then go from there.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I'd just inspect the reservoir and PS hoses.

For changing the fluid, the turkey-baster method is good. Using a syringe (or turkey baster), suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and replace with fresh Honda-brand fluid. Drive the vehicle for a day, repeat. And repeat one more time.

Chip H.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Looking at the hoses frome the outside everything looks decent. I would like to know what color is the factory reservoir? Mine is a gray, and not opaque at all. I think I saw pictures of one that was a white opaque one. I am wondering if mine was replaced with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is a cover on top that just pops off. I'm frankly not sure what the point of that cover is -- no other Honda has it. I took mine off and it stays off.

The reservoir itself has a grey top fused to a white translucent body. I couldn't call it "clear", but you can see the fluid within. It's dirt cheap to replace the reservoir...the part number is 53701-S3V-A11 and it's about 15 bucks.

I wouldn't replace any of the hoses myself, unless you wanted to. The main hose to the pump would be easily replaceable, but some of the other hoses go deep enough that you can't easily get to the other side. The smaller hose coming off the front of the reservoir should come from the cooler, and you'd probably need to take the front fascia off to get to the other end of that hose. I replaced that hose on our '05 MDX when I put a new transmission cooler and power steering cooler on it, but I wouldn't have otherwise, if I wasn't touching the old power steering cooler.

I'd start with sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir, replacing with new, starting the engine and turning the steering wheel a few times, and repeat three or four times. You'll need a couple of bottles of fluid. I find that the Honda fluid (which starts clear) discolors pretty quickly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think one reservoir takes between half and three-quarters of a bottle of fluid, so one bottle isn't quite enough for two reservoir fills.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I will probably get three bottles to be safe and keep going until it is clean.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I would stay with the fluid exchange method unless you find the find the fluid extremely dirty with particulates (dirt or metal) in addition to being just discolored. Most dealers change the reservoir when doing a complete flush. There is a filter of sorts in the base of the reservoir that can't be changed other than by replacing the reservoir. If you change any hoses or the rack, I'm pretty sure the factory service requires the reservoir be changed as well just to be safe. Your call. The reservoir is cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
You really have to keep up the turkey baster routine to make a difference. At least every oil change. If you only want to do it once a year, I say save your money and get a full flush every 20K or so instead.
I've never seen PS fluid turn so fast in any other vehicle. And I don't think it is the fluid itself, but perhaps residuals from various seal material resulting in floating black deposits.
But it sure gets gummy fast. I know some people have installed inline filters and maybe that is one answer, or at least a way to slow it down.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I use the Mityvac Fluid Extractor in the picture to swap the fluid while the PS pump is running.

I can extract old fluid and pour in new (with a funnel) at roughly the same rate that old fluid is being extracted. I run the extractor tube to the bottom of PS fluid reservoir. The extractor comes in handy for changing oil, transmission fluid (on some cars), and for brake fluid changes. I have also used to bleed a difficult hydraulic clutch.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Interesting technique. I never considered a running fluid exchange.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts