Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so new Ridgeline owner here. 2006 RTL with 176k. Popped the hood today to check fluids and found some power steering fluid on the passenger side wheel well motor mount. Can't find any fluid on the hoses or PSP. Might be on the under side but I don't have a mirror small enough to fit in there currently to look. Steering makes the faintest whine. Maybe my ears just want to find something to hear though... PS fluid level looks fine. Feels like there is a little resistance in the steering. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Motor Mount may have failed, they have fluid in them also

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have that stain on my Ridgeline's frame rail, too. I can't tell if the motor mount's been replaced before, though. Looks dry now...but I guess it would if all the fluid's leaked out!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The OEMs have been pretty good. I can't really recall anyone replacing one that had fewer than 150k miles on their RL. I would make sure I got one that originated with the Honda parts system (i.e. from your local dealer, or an online dealer) so you don't end up with a cheap copy.

And maybe think about replacing the others at the same time. They're all at the same age.

Chip H.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would not buy an aftermarket mount. I've heard too many stories about how they fell apart after just a few months, or that the durometer of the rubber is all wrong and there's a lot of engine vibration in the cabin, etc.

Are there symptoms of it besides the grease? Do you feel engine clunks/etc? If not, I'd probably let it go until your next timing belt service -- you generally have to remove the engine's side mounting bracket during that job, anyway, so it would be a labor-saving opportunity to do it then.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
My motor mount did the same thing over 60K miles ago. I didn't notice any abnormal engine vibration & planned to have it changed out with the timing belt. I forgot about the motor mount & didn't change it out when I had the timing belt changed at 215K miles. I have 240K miles now & still don't notice engine vibration. At this time I have no plans to change the motor mount.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I looked yesterday and I noticed I have a similar stain, guessing the hydraulic fluid leaked out years ago, no noticeable vibration, an Honda said nothing when doing the Timing belt last summer near 80k, no plans to change it out without noticeable vibration issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had the same right after they did my timing belt and plugs. I went back to the dealer because of it and told him it was their fault because they had to lift the engine to get at plugs (I think that was the reason). He agreed and they replaced the mount free of charge. Said the mechanic may have punched the mount putting engine back in place.

Keep in mind I had just spent well over $1000 for all the service work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No cabin vibration. Once all the fluid has drained from the motor mount it's not liable to deteriorate or fall apart from wear?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The motor might rock more under acceleration, which puts additional strain on the other mounts, as well as the half-shafts.

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The motor might rock more under acceleration, which puts additional strain on the other mounts, as well as the half-shafts.

Chip H.
He is right. You wont feel any more vibration but under hard acceleration your motor will have more movement which will transfer stress to the other mounts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just had to replace both the side and the front mount with only 110,000 on my 06. Installation wasn't that bad on the side mount. The front mount I did while the radiator was out. I can't imagine doing it with the radiator in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The OEMs have been pretty good. I can't really recall anyone replacing one that had fewer than 150k miles on their RL. I would make sure I got one that originated with the Honda parts system (i.e. from your local dealer, or an online dealer) so you don't end up with a cheap copy.

And maybe think about replacing the others at the same time. They're all at the same age.

Chip H.
I replaced the front and side ones on mine at around 120-125k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts