Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot about flushing the power-steering fluid. Do you guys think it's necessary? I know Honda doesn't recommend it, but I've heard some horror stories around about it. If it should be flushed, how many miles or time should it be between flushings?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You don't need to actually do a flush. If you want to change it (and a lot of owners go 200k+ miles without doing so), use a turkey baster or large syringe to suck the fluid out of the reservoir, then top-off with fresh Honda power steering fluid. It's not a 100% change, but good enough for a couple of years use.

Chip H.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What I do is suck it out of the resivoir (turkey baster will work as mentioned above or there are various tools made just for this purpose to vacuum liquids out for you) refill. Drive a short distance and repeat this two or three times. This will get some old fluid out and some fresh fluid in with fresh additives.

A tool like this is very handy for this sort of work. They are also great for tranny's, diffs, master cylinder and sucking oil out of small engines
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3801-mityvac-mv7400.aspx

·
Registered
133 Posts
At the dealership now, they stated my ps fluid is looking like it needs a change soon. Other than picking up a turkey baster are there any other things I need to know. Has anybody done a detailed write up with pics?(yes I searched and only really found the power steering whine threads) Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
What I do is suck it out of the resivoir (turkey baster will work as mentioned above or there are various tools made just for this purpose to vacuum liquids out for you) refill. Drive a short distance and repeat this two or three times. This will get some old fluid out and some fresh fluid in with fresh additives.

A tool like this is very handy for this sort of work. They are also great for tranny's, diffs, master cylinder and sucking oil out of small engines
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3801-mityvac-mv7400.aspx
This is what would recomend as well. I do this every 30K just for the hell of it on all my Honda's. Since you don't have to make constant repairs might as well over maintain it!!! :act035:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks! I will jump right on that air in my tires!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
plus 1 I change the fluid in the reservoir before tracking my car.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
65 Posts
I'm at 75k and starting to get some noise in my steering, could a flush help this?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I'm at 75k and starting to get some noise in my steering, could a flush help this?
Check and see if the noise is actually from the pump. You can use a section of rubber hose to your ear, the other against the pump. If it is, that would be the cheaper fix over a problem with the rack. If it is the pump, you should be able to get a quality rebuild from NAPA for at least half what Honda will charge for it.
Flushing can't hurt, and something that will probably happen if it does need repair, not likely to get rid of a noise though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts