Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! Got an 07 with 145k miles. Power steering started whining a lot. Bleed fluid and also replaced serpentine belt. Still whining. Then I just changed the pump and pulley. Solved the issue. Then two days later started again after a long drive and sounds bad. Steering isn’t stiff, but whining noise is killing me. Anyone else have this issue? How did you solve? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you use new “O” rings on the hose connections? These have a history of leaking air into the pump causing the whine. I would start there. My 2008 started whining and I replaced the ”O” rings and cleaned the reservoir. Solved the noise without a new pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use new “O” rings on the hose connections? These have a history of leaking air into the pump causing the whine. I would start there. My 2008 started whining and I replaced the ”O” rings and cleaned the reservoir. Solved the noise without a new pump.
Yea I went to the dealer and got an O ring for the high pressure hose. Didn’t see any other place to put an additional o ring. Is there another spot that needs one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently had a similar issue on a 2010 187k and did the turkey baster method in a parking lot. Used about 4 bottles of OEM PS fluid and alot of turning in an empty parking lot. Seemed to solve my problem. Looking at previous forum posts it does seem to be an issue. Maybe you got air in the PS rack? Just a shot in the dark.

Good discussion here:

Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,848 Posts
Yea I went to the dealer and got an O ring for the high pressure hose. Didn’t see any other place to put an additional o ring. Is there another spot that needs one?
Low pressure hose (up top, above the reservoir) is the oring that allows air to be sucked into the system. Did you replace or as a minimum clean the screen at the bottom of the reservoir?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,384 Posts
I think a new reservoir is only $20-ish or so. Just put a new reservoir in. I prefer to elevate the front wheels when replacing PS fluid so I don't overstress the steering assembly. Pretty easy job with a MityVac.

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think a new reservoir is only $20-ish or so. Just put a new reservoir in. I prefer to elevate the front wheels when replacing PS fluid so I don't overstress the steering assembly. Pretty easy job with a MityVac.

I actually just replaced both o-rings and the reservoir this weekend. This is the 3rd reservoir that I have done and I’m at 150k miles, but first o-ring replacement. It was starting to make noise so for about $50, including fluid, I should be good for a while. I’ve been using Lucas PS fluid that is approved for Honda, whatever that means, but it’s been good for the last 100K miles. I’m not necessarily recommending it just passing along my experience.

My procedure is to connect the bottom hose that feeds the pump to the new reservoir but put the return into a container. I fill the new reservoir with fluid and my wife starts the engine for about 4-5 seconds before shutting it down. I repeat the process for a total of 3 times and I can then seen clean fluid coming out of the return. Then I connect everything up and top off to the upper max mark. Seems quieter now but it has warmed up since I did it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually just replaced both o-rings and the reservoir this weekend. This is the 3rd reservoir that I have done and I’m at 150k miles, but first o-ring replacement. It was starting to make noise so for about $50, including fluid, I should be good for a while. I’ve been using Lucas PS fluid that is approved for Honda, whatever that means, but it’s been good for the last 100K miles. I’m not necessarily recommending it just passing along my experience.

My procedure is to connect the bottom hose that feeds the pump to the new reservoir but put the return into a container. I fill the new reservoir with fluid and my wife starts the engine for about 4-5 seconds before shutting it down. I repeat the process for a total of 3 times and I can then seen clean fluid coming out of the return. Then I connect everything up and top off to the upper max mark. Seems quieter now but it has warmed up since I did it.
Thanks bro. I know one of the o rings goes on the high pressure line. Where does the other one go?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The other hose is about 4-inches or so below the high pressure hose. There is a 10mm bolt that has to be removed

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks bro. I know one of the o rings goes on the high pressure line. Where does the other one go?
Just follow the hose from the reservoir to the pump. It attaches to a plastic piece and it’s held to the pump by a 10 mm just underneath the plastic. Hard to see and not a lot of room to work but doable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts