Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2006 w/182K into the dealer yesterday for a routine oil change.

Was told that the "power steering pump and feed hose" was leaking.

Taking a look at it today...sure enough looks like a leak..

Interestingly, a few weeks back I was getting some PS whine...used the turkey baster method & 3 bottles of PS fluid to flush the system and everything been quite since. At that point, there was no leak as fluid levels were fine when I started.

Dealer wanted $1000 to replace the PS pump and "feed line" (high pressure hose?). Thanks but no.

I see the PS pump is pretty easy to replace. Also intend to replace the reservoir. From the pics & dealers comments I'm thinking the high pressure hose needs to be replaced. Possibly the pump inlet hose while I'm at it.

Considering hosing the area down with some engine greaser so I can maybe get a better idea of what's leaking.

Lastly, any recommendations on re-man'd PS pumps? Seen a couple recommendations for NAPA ($129). O'Reilly Auto nearby carries MasterPro ($146). Advanced has Cardone ($143) and Maval ($184). It doesn't appear that anybody has them in stock, so regardless I'll have to order one and wait.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Reactions: meanmachine19

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've seen the threads about the whine being caused by the o-ring letting in air.

Except I'm not getting a whine nor seeing any evidence of air in system.

Sure I can change the o-ring, but it seems unlikely to make a difference.

Given that I have a leak instead of a whine, it'd probably make sense to replace the o-ring on the high pressure side.

I went ahead and cleaned up the area, but so far I really don't see any leaks. May dump a bottle of UV dye in there...
UV dye

Unless anybody knows of an incompatibility between the dye of the Honda PS fluid?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update...

Had my brother-in-law take a look over the holidays...he's a former GM mechanic.

Definitely see a crack in the high pressure hose and evidence of fluid being flung by the pump pulley.

So, a new PS & hose is in my future. OEM is a little pricey at $315 for the pump (56110RJEA02 ) and $110 for the hose (53713SJCA02)...

Any recommendations for aftermarket brands? Or should I stick with OEM?

Also, the service manual has instructions on overhauling the pump. Anybody tried that? is there a overhaul kit# I can get from honda? Wasn't going to bother...but for $315...it may be worth the effort.

Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
RockAuto has 2 reman pumps for $138-$158.
They also have a rebuild service for $109. Send your pump and they rebuild/return.
Just a few options.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'd want to be sure the pump is the source of that "flung" fluid before I replaced it.
I'd probably replace the hose first, cleaning everything up in the process, and see if that does the trick (assuming you see clearly that the hose is bad, and haven't really confirmed where the fluid from the pump is coming from).

Unless one leak caused the other, it would be pretty coincidental that you'd have both failures on your 2009.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also, the service manual has instructions on overhauling the pump. Anybody tried that? is there a overhaul kit# I can get from honda? Wasn't going to bother...but for $315...it may be worth the effort.

Thanks!
Hi there, I took on this task back in June 2015 and it went pretty smooth. I rebuilt the power steering pump and replaced all seals, o-rings, circlip, pulley nut, and pressed new bearing. I did notice all internals including shaft, bore, rotor, veins, plates looked good. Also tested the Flow Control Valve and within specs with no leaks at 14.2psi. Total cost in parts ~$30.

I was getting a small leak, so I took on the challenge to be proactive and do the PS rebuild. There's a real nice video from briansmobile1 on YouTube that helped a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwmIHFwNwgE

I also took lots of pictures during disassembly so I would not fubar'd the pump during reassembly. I also have the service manual which helped too.

The pump is running great with no hiccups. Should last me for another 10 years.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

I have the SM, but it doesn't list any part numbers for the rebuild. Is there a kit number I should ask for? Or do I just go in and ask for all the parts needed for the PS rebuild?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to post an update...

Spent 8 hrs at my brother-in-laws last Saturday rebuilding the PS pump and replacing the PS high-pressure line.

Rebuilding the PS pump was cake, this video for an Odyssey is the same pump as on my 2006 RL.

The majority of the time was spent removing and replacing the high pressure line. Holy crap what a PITA. Getting a wrench on the fitting at the rack was not fun. Ended up putting a crows-foot on it from the top with somebody pushing on the handle from top & bottom. Unhooking the clamps on the line was mostly done blind. Fishing the line out wasn't too bad (once we found all the clamps! ;) )

I'm very happy my BIL is an experienced mechanic, though he couldn't help but note how much easier it would have been to do on a Chevy.

Bought all parts at a dealer.
Seals & O-Rings for PS pump - $10-$15
PS High Pressure Line - $150
PS Resevoir - $20
line from reservoir to pump - $15 (?)
couple bottles of PS fluid - $10(?)

If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure I'd bother with the high-pressure line. It was just seeping a bit...

OTOH it was seeping through the hose itself, not a connection point. I'd hate to have been stranded somewhere by a burst hose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 06 started leaking at the crimp on the hose. It dripped all the way to the bottom of the engine and made a very oily bottom. I thought it was motor oil until I noticed the level drop. A little goes a long way.

It was a difficult leak to spot as it was on the bottom of the hose/crimp margin.

New hose ordered.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re-building hydraulic pumps, starters and alternators is the way to go. Vastly cheaper and you know it's done right, rather than using some no-name brand item from the auto store.

Kudos to Honda on offering the parts to allow people to do this, though you can almost
always source high quality seals and bearings by just measuring the old parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts