Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

Can anyone direct me to power steering pump replacement instructions. I could not find any diagrams, YouTube videos or instructions on the web on how to replace.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Coogs? Out of curiosity, why do you need to replace the PS pump?

Reactions: wvlonglegs

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Speedlever to the rescue!!! :flyingace:q

Nice Job as usual Speed!! We all remain impressed & grateful.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Not sure who makes the pump for the RL. Maybe Denso??

OEM or a Japanese brand will be fine (even if re-manufactured). Probably should stay away from the Chinese ones.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I need to replace my pump. Is it OK to by a after market or the OEM?

Thanks
I'm seeing remanufactured OEM from dealer (check bernardiparts.com) is cheaper than aftermarket (I used Rockauto.com for comparison).
Bernardi is $288 - $50 core ($238). Rockauto is $326 - $50, or $390 - $40 for AC Delco brand (all remanufactured).
New OEM is only $318 (cheaper than Delco reman), but no real reason to pay the add'l $50 over reman.

..... but wait..... I also see Autozone with a pump for $140. plus $28 core. That's the better deal, especially w/o shipping, AND the AZ Duralast brand seems to have positive comments from users on the internet.... it's remanufactured in USA, and has limited lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaken. I'd probably go that way if you can get one from Autozone.
There shouldn't be any real reason to stick strictly to OEM if that's what you are asking.... just avoid cheap aftermarket crap (look for comments/reviews on the internet for comparisons). Duralast looks good at first glance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks everyone. I haven't taken it off yet but it's leaking enough to leave a spot on the driveway. I was going to try and do the seals and flush (w/new reservoir), but I think I'm going to just replace it all.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You can get a rebuild kit & just rebuild it yourself.... if your so inclined. Wouldn't take that much more effort once you have it you (I wouldn't think). Certainly easier to just drop in a new one.... but there are a few bucks to be saved. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought about it, but for the price of a after market one, I'm just dropping in the new one. I will replace the reservoir and flush.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, finally did the PS pump this last weekend and it went well.
New pump, new reservoir and flush.
PS. Autozone offered a $35 gift card with a internet order!!!!!

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello , I have a similar problem but I think it is just the return line that has the leak, does anyone know where I can get replacement lines... or even an OEM number?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hello , I have a similar problem but I think it is just the return line that has the leak, does anyone know where I can get replacement lines... or even an OEM number?

Thanks in Advance

This is from bernardiparts.com
I used 2008 for search criteria.... I believe they are all the same, but since you don't have your RL Model Year on your "Who you are" panel, I just picked one. You might want to update that just to help out with answers to questions you might have in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the instructions. Been gone for work for a while and have not had a chance to reply. I think the PS pump is worn out but i don't see any leaks and the level is good.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for the instructions. Been gone for work for a while and have not had a chance to reply. I think the PS pump is worn out but i don't see any leaks and the level is good.
You never said why you think it's "worn out". You'd be spending some easy effort to remove & replace the fluid 2 or 3 times (turn wheels lock to lock in between drain & fills), just to see if you can't remedy your symptoms (whatever those might be) with very little effort; as many others on the forum here have been able to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everybody for the replies. This will be a fun project........

·
Registered
11 Posts
We are getting a whine in the power steering when turning.
Fluid (never changed) is topped off.
I am also feeling a little irregular resistance in the steering operation.
On a normal vehicle, I'd just replace the pump.
I get the feeling that I am not seeing another forum stream that addresses this without starting with replacing the pump.
We are at ~150,000 miles. Mostly highway. No high performance, limited off road.
Can you help me find the link(s) discussing power steering?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
.... and when he says "change the fluid"... this means change it 'til you've got out the bad stuff. You might need to suck out & replace more than once if you've got real dirty fluid. Turn the wheels lock to lock after you've changed it once, and see if you don't find another opportunity to clean it up with another suck & fill.
If you're at 150K and how-many years?, you may need to treat her to more than one round.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts