Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering is fine when backing out of my driveway, turning and getting out of my neighborhood. It runs like normal. But after the truck has warmed up then, boom, practically no power steering. I'm a strong guy but it takes every bit of strength to pull into a parking spot at the grocery store, sometimes I have to make a 3 point turn just to get in a spot. Thats how bad it becomes after 5 minutes of driving. Work like new when it's cold and not at all once it's warmed up? What gives?

·
Registered
100 Posts
gain
The power steering is fine when backing out of my driveway, turning and getting out of my neighborhood. It runs like normal. But after the truck has warmed up then, boom, practically no power steering. I'm a strong guy but it takes every bit of strength to pull into a parking spot at the grocery store, sometimes I have to make a 3 point turn just to get in a spot. Thats how bad it becomes after 5 minutes of driving. Work like new when it's cold and not at all once it's warmed up? What gives?
I've had similar problems, but not just when it's warm. Mine has long (I have 420,000 miles on a 2008) been hard to turn but only when parking and I've just kind of learned to live with it. I had the dealer change the PS fluid about 200,000 miles ago and it helped immensely (I was also getting some whining). Now it's whining again, so I'm about the change the fluid myself using a large syringe to suck out as much as I can, fill with fresh Honda fluid, drive for a day or two, and repeat a couple times. We'll see what that does. It's worth the $25 or so I'm spending to at least experiment. Might still need a power steering pump. Stay tuned...

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
I have 420,000 miles on a 2008
That's the most miles I remember seeing by any member on this forum.

Do you follow the Maintenance Minder or your own schedule?

If you follow your own schedule, what is it?

What brand of oil do you use?

Any repairs outside of routine maintenance over that distance?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,869 Posts
gain

I've had similar problems, but not just when it's warm. Mine has long (I have 420,000 miles on a 2008) been hard to turn but only when parking and I've just kind of learned to live with it. I had the dealer change the PS fluid about 200,000 miles ago and it helped immensely (I was also getting some whining). Now it's whining again, so I'm about the change the fluid myself using a large syringe to suck out as much as I can, fill with fresh Honda fluid, drive for a day or two, and repeat a couple times. We'll see what that does. It's worth the $25 or so I'm spending to at least experiment. Might still need a power steering pump. Stay tuned...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts