Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Are there any rules in this game? Anything we’re not allowed to do, or anything we must do?

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the open ended question I posted. Should have searched threads. It is all there.
The Ridgeline really has plenty of power for my needs. I do a lot of highway miles. Most are with cruise set at 75 or so. I was just thinking it would be nice if it didn’t keep shifting from 6th to 5th and back again at that speed in hill country. Not a big issue.
Thanks everybody for the comments.

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
If you think your 6-speed downshifts to 5th "often", you should own a 2006-2008 with 5-speed! it shifted from 5th to 4th when you exhaled. ;)

Another 14 horsepower won't make a difference - it's torque that you need to minimize downshifting. There are two ways to increase torque: Increases displacement or forced induction.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had a V8 GMC Canyon......it would downshift from 4th to 3rd negotiating an overpass on interstate when using cruise control. I do not notice the Rigi downshifting from 6th to 5th negotiating an overpass. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Power output is the ONLY relevant criterion for the engine. Increasing torque increases power, but increasing rate (rpm) also increases power. That's why trannies down-shift; to increase power.

So, the easiest way to win this game is to downshift. (-;

·
Registered
69 Posts
Be happy with what you have.
Engine modification is not worth it.
There ARE ways to increase HP without increasing displacement or forced induction but it's not even practicle on a RL.
Everythng you do would mess up the engine management system and that's a rat hole you don't want to go down.
Just stay away from the aftermarket air filters, chips etc. that promise more hp. they will do more harm than good.

I remember years ago when I had some work done on a race motor in the off season.....my wife asked me.."You spent HOW MUCH just to go 1/2 second faster???"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would like an extra 20 HP... just for the selfish reason of my driving enjoyment. I placed an AEM cold air intake... I do not think it gives any significant increase in HP, but MPG increased by 0.8 and the sound of the engine is less anemic without being obnoxious...
I definitely am not interested in messing with the engine or the cost it would incur... but IF there was an OBD chip that was legit, well I would be tempted.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Sorry for the open ended question I posted. Should have searched threads. It is all there.
The Ridgeline really has plenty of power for my needs. I do a lot of highway miles. Most are with cruise set at 75 or so. I was just thinking it would be nice if it didn’t keep shifting from 6th to 5th and back again at that speed in hill country. Not a big issue.
Thanks everybody for the comments.
Sucks that there is no real tuning options for the G2 yet. KTuner for the G1 has a few things that you can alter that would clear up the things that ail ya.

I would like an extra 20 HP... just for the selfish reason of my driving enjoyment. I placed an AEM cold air intake... I do not think it gives any significant increase in HP, but MPG increased by 0.8 and the sound of the engine is less anemic without being obnoxious...
I definitely am not interested in messing with the engine or the cost it would incur... but IF there was an OBD chip that was legit, well I would be tempted.
Been running K&N washable filters in all of my cars over the last 25 years. Love the sound... and the ability to wash it whenever I want at roughly $2/wash. Is pretty sweet as well. I have never had a filter related engine issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sucks that there is no real tuning options for the G2 yet. KTuner for the G1 has a few things that you can alter that would clear up the things that ail ya.

Been running K&N washable filters in all of my cars over the last 25 years. Love the sound... and the ability to wash it whenever I want at roughly $2/wash. Is pretty sweet as well. I have never had a filter related engine issue.
To each ther own I guess.

I have used K&N in all my race cars.

Yet I changed the oil after every event.

I have seen people use K&N on there daily driver and have done major damage over 160,000 miles.

If you use K&N and are a low mileage driver I guess you won't know the long term abrasiveness K&N can cause.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is the easiest and least costly way to achieve a 5% boost in horsepower?
I would not go down that road. When you start to modify your truck you risk reliability issues and voiding the warranty on your engine. I remember reading that when the Hellcat came out they had issues with the supercharger. They story on Jalopnik went on to explain that one customer who put on a cold air intake was denied a warranty repair on the supercharger. They claimed it cased damage to the engine. Now this was bullshit but he was stuck with a $7,000 repair. If you use your truck to get to work or get work done you don't want to risk having a broken down truck. Also, where do you want that 5% at the bottom end of the rev range or the top. The top will do you no go unless you redline the engine. The G2 Ridgeline was the fastest midsize truck when it came out but I think the ranger is a little faster with it turbo 4. It's the fastest truck I have ever driven. You can always try 93 octane fuel but that will only work if the engine is advancing the timing due to knock, if not then you will get nothing.

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
The G2 Ridgeline was the fastest midsize truck when it came out but I think the ranger is a little faster with it turbo 4. It's the fastest truck I have ever driven.
The Colorado is currently the fastest to 60. The Ranger is faster only at elevation where the turbo has an advantage.

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
1- Get better gas i.e. higher Octane or gas without ethanol.
2- Smaller diameter tires. This changes the gearing.
3-turn off eco and mash the gas to get vtec to kick in.
1. The MDX's engine (which is tuned for premium gasoline) produces only 10 more horsepower (3.6%) than the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline's engine is tuned for 87 and won't gain as much HP on premium as the MDX will lose on regular. Ethanol-free gasoline won't give you more power - the PCM simply commands more fuel to achieve the same power output.

2. Horsepower stays the same regardless of the wheel diameter. Torque will increase with a smaller tire diameter. Acceleration will increase. Top speed will decrease.

3. The maximum throttle opening is the same whether ECON mode is on or off. VTEC operation is determined by engine RPM, not accelerator position or throttle opening.

:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Way to "increase horsepower" to keep from downshifting repeatedly?

D4 button would do the trick. Of course you'd be riding the engine at around 3500rpm around 65mph, but since the engine is made to rev towards 5500rpm to achieve peak torque and horsepower, if you don't mind the droning sound, it'll do just fine.

Actual mods don't exist - those that do won't make a noticeable difference.

Even full size pickups will gear hunt if you approach a big enough hill or a strong headwind. Especially with all these 8-9-10 speeds today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts