Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Been a member for a bit but my first post.
I know there are a ton of related posts but I can't find the specific answer (and I'm not sure if it's proper etiquette here to jump into an existing thread with my question or to create my own - so I chose the latter).

Anyhow, I've got an 08 RT (I think..I know it's not an RTL)

The previous owner had installed an aftermarket headunit, door speakers, and rear sub/amp.

None of those items were installed when I bought the vehicle.
I've since added an aftermarket headunit.

Now, I've got a powered sub that I want to get installed (Infinity Basslink).

Here's the catch - there are visible wires coming out of the floor carpet in the back where (presumably) a previous owner had their amp & sub installed.

The speak wire is self explanatory - I've already located, identified, and hooked up the wires on the other end at the head unit.

The power wires are where I'm held up.

Firstly, they are not a standard "red/black" color combo. They have no clear labels or identifiers on them. So 'm not sure which is positive or which is negative. (see picture)

Looking under the hood, I didn't see any matching wires running to the battery. The wires disappear under the carpet and don't have much give at all.

So I'm wondering if anyone here can assist is pointing me in the right direction.
Any ideas where the wire ends up? Is there a factory interconnect that they may tie into and that's why I don't see it at the battery? If so, where would I find that so that I can see how they are connected?

Thanks and please let me know if I've omitted some critical piece of information to help solve my issue

Attachments

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Maybe the power wire from the battery was removed and cut.
The ground one may still be connected to ground under the carpet or to a seat bolt.

The thin one was the remote amp turn on wire.

Did you see the matching RCA s and remote wire when you removed the dash to install the HU?

You will need to remove both rear door sill panels to see the wiring and trace to where the power wire was cut. And most likely the remote wire will be running close to the power wire.

The panel that holds the rear bench seat is also very easy to remove, they all just snap off , then lift the carpet to see and remove the the wire that was cut.

We can't do that for you, or guess where they start or end, you just need to remove those panels and it takes less than a minute to remove all 3 of them.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Greetings all. Been a member for a bit but my first post.
I know there are a ton of related posts but I can't find the specific answer (and I'm not sure if it's proper etiquette here to jump into an existing thread with my question or to create my own - so I chose the latter).

Anyhow, I've got an 08 RT (I think..I know it's not an RTL)

The previous owner had installed an aftermarket headunit, door speakers, and rear sub/amp.

None of those items were installed when I bought the vehicle.
I've since added an aftermarket headunit.

Now, I've got a powered sub that I want to get installed (Infinity Basslink).

Here's the catch - there are visible wires coming out of the floor carpet in the back where (presumably) a previous owner had their amp & sub installed.

The speak wire is self explanatory - I've already located, identified, and hooked up the wires on the other end at the head unit.

The power wires are where I'm held up.

Firstly, they are not a standard "red/black" color combo. They have no clear labels or identifiers on them. So 'm not sure which is positive or which is negative. (see picture)

Looking under the hood, I didn't see any matching wires running to the battery. The wires disappear under the carpet and don't have much give at all.

So I'm wondering if anyone here can assist is pointing me in the right direction.
Any ideas where the wire ends up? Is there a factory interconnect that they may tie into and that's why I don't see it at the battery? If so, where would I find that so that I can see how they are connected?

Thanks and please let me know if I've omitted some critical piece of information to help solve my issue
First: you need a volt meter to determine polarity before connecting anything to those wires. If I had to guess, the blue is + the grey -. The small clear jacket was used as turn on for the amp. Presumably, whomever removed the previous equipment had the presence of mind to disconnect to + connection, so there's no power back there right now.

Since you don't see the other end of the blue wire anywhere under hood, it could be connected anywhere. The most likely spot is one of the constant power lines feeding the fuse block next to driver left foot. The grey (assuming it is DC -) could be connected anywhere someone found a convenient bolt or screw.

Its worth your time to trace those wires to their termination points. In my experience, there's no telling what someone thought was a reasonable way/location to terminate ground/tap into factory power wires.

Your safest bet is to lift entry sills and follow wires where they lead. Seriously, don't trust what someone else might have done. If you're lucky and things were done well, you'll have confidence. If not, you may avoid a future problem/potential tragedy.

Best of luck. Post back what you find.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
A picture of your battery showing the pos terminal will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First: you need a volt meter to determine polarity before connecting anything to those wires. If I had to guess, the blue is + the grey -. The small clear jacket was used as turn on for the amp. Presumably, whomever removed the previous equipment had the presence of mind to disconnect to + connection, so there's no power back there right now.

Since you don't see the other end of the blue wire anywhere under hood, it could be connected anywhere. The most likely spot is one of the constant power lines feeding the fuse block next to driver left foot. The grey (assuming it is DC -) could be connected anywhere someone found a convenient bolt or screw.

Its worth your time to trace those wires to their termination points. In my experience, there's no telling what someone thought was a reasonable way/location to terminate ground/tap into factory power wires.

Your safest bet is to lift entry sills and follow wires where they lead. Seriously, don't trust what someone else might have done. If you're lucky and things were done well, you'll have confidence. If not, you may avoid a future problem/potential tragedy.

Best of luck. Post back what you find.
I took your advice and went ahead and pulled up panels and tried to follow the lines. The speaker RCA and power go up different sides of the vehicle (good!).
It was still a bit of a challenge to find where the cord went but after some sweat (it was humid out!) and a change of batteries in my flashlight, I found that the power cable tucked into a black sleeve before heading out under the hood.
Even then I struggling trying to find it..but in the end, I was able to locate a cable that wasn't hooked up (not easy in a sea of cables and engine dust)

Long story short, I got it! Used my volt meter and determined which was positive and which was negative (you guessed right).

All good to go now, thanks!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
They cut it at the firewall area.

You can't use it, unless you add a dist block or other in line fuse, but not at firewall.

That wire will have to be pulled closer to the battery or simply remove it.

If you pull it close to the battery to add an in line fuse holder, you still will need another foot of wire to connect to the battery terminal with a ring terminal.

The only way to pull it is to remove the door sill and pillar panels and hope you won't need to cut plastic zip ties, also remove the fuse panel and fake foot plastic part, in order to move it or slide closer to the battery. Use some silicon grease at the fire wall hole, it will make it slide like knife in warm soft butter.

Then once you figure where you will be placing the amplifier, you will need extra wire to connect it to wherever it ends, there might not be room to place a Dist block under the door sill panels.

And the ground has to be close to the amp, meaning you may have to remove that one too if you want to use that wire, and that may be attached to a seat belt bolt, those long panels may need to be removed also. Good luck with that one.
There is a huge space behind the center pillar panel though.

If you install a small amp near the glove box, then no need to add extra wire, it would be long enough to get a direct connection to the amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts