Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to purchase a 2017 EX-L with 55k km and will have it inspected beforehand by CAA (Canadian equivalent to AAA). How do I get them to verify that there are no injector nor tranny issues?

My first Ridgeline and first post. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
There is no way to verify that there won't be injector or tranny problems in the future. There are no early "warning" signs alerting you to the fact that a failure may be imminent. An inherent risk does exist when buying a 2017 G2 Ridgeline. Some 2017's are problem free - so it is a gamble.

Hope it all works out for you. Are any manufacturer warranties available to you in Canada?

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So reading the air-gas mixture sensor will not give me an early warning. Good to know.

There are extended warranties for us Canucks. Did you buy one for your Ridgeline?

Thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked into extended warranties to cover the potential cost of injector replacement. Prices are in CAD $ I think that I can get the job done at my local garage (not a dealer) for about $1200 if required so I figure I can do without the warranty. Opinions anyone???

I will push to have it certified so I'll have 7yrs and 160K km on the drivetrain.

Capture.GIF

thx!

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
So reading the air-gas mixture sensor will not give me an early warning. Good to know.

There are extended warranties for us Canucks. Did you buy one for your Ridgeline?

Thx
I certainly did, but that was before any of those issues had surfaced. Merely went on the advise on long time members of the ROC.

·
Administrator
16,016 Posts
I looked into extended warranties to cover the potential cost of injector replacement. Prices are in CAD $ I think that I can get the job done at my local garage (not a dealer) for about $1200 if required so I figure I can do without the warranty. Opinions anyone???

I will push to have it certified so I'll have 7yrs and 160K km on the drivetrain.

View attachment 405683

thx!
Is is being sold by a Honda dealer? Only Honda dealers can offer a Honda Certified Used Vehicle. It must also meet specific requirements (no modifications or non-Honda accessories installed, no airbag deployment or unibody damage on a vehicle history report or detected during an inspection, etc.).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is is being sold by a Honda dealer? Only Honda dealers can offer a Honda Certified Used Vehicle. It must also meet specific requirements (no modifications or non-Honda accessories installed, no airbag deployment or unibody damage on a vehicle history report or detected during an inspection, etc.).
Yes. Unfortunately the dealer is a bit shifty so I must be sure it’s a Honda Canada certification and warranty.

I certainly did, but that was before any of those issues had surfaced. Merely went on the advise on long time members of the ROC.
Forgive me for asking but has your warranty paid for itself yet?

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
You could check the short and long term fuel "trims" in the OBD II testing things. If there's a problem brewing you'll see one of them giving higher numbers trying to compensate but still within the programming code ranges before it sets the light. Manufacturers all do these sorts of things to keep warranty claims to a minimum.

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the end I lucked out and found a 2018 RL Sport for $4K under market at a Ford dealership. Much to my surprise, as well as that of the salesman, the truck had a 7yr/160K km extended Honda warranty. This reassured me regarding potential transmission and injector issues and so now I own my first Ridgeline. :love:

Thanks to all who make this forum an extraordinary place to learn and share!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts