Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL AWD Silver
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know Honda recommends using Premium gas when towing trailers over 3,500 lbs. in the G2 trucks? Here’s a screenshot of the Honda.com recommendation.

Has anyone noticed engine “pinging” while towing a travel trailer while using 87 regular?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
They also recommended premium in the G1 when towing or driving in mountainous terrain.

I’ve not heard serious spark knock from my J35 on regular fuel even when towing and in the mountains. However, I try to follow the recommendation.

Reactions: Chopperbob

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
I suspect that's an error on the website (happens fairly often) - there's no recommendation for premium fuel in any of the 2017-2020 Ridgelines' owner's guides or manuals. As @bulwnkl stated, it was recommended in the owner's manual for the 2006-2014 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,891 Posts
I suspect that's an error on the website (happens fairly often)
Or finally a reflection / acknowledgment of updated thinking with good basis? (happens fairly rarely)

:unsure:

(there's potential for benefit other than just prevention of gross detonation in the altered overall PCM strategy that higher octane will likely allow in certain conditions)

Reactions: Chopperbob

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
Well, it will be interesting to see what shows up in the 2021 manual.
Considering there is no mention of powertrain changes, I expect the fuel recommendation for the 2021 Ridgeline to remain "87 or higher" across the board just as it is for the 2016-2021 Pilot, 2019-2021 Passport, and 2017-2020 Ridgeline.

Curiously, the 2021 Pilot and Passport manuals do mention, "When towing more than 3,500 lbs (1,590 kg), use of gasoline with a pump octane number of 87 or higher is recommended.", but that is the same recommendation even when not towing.

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
270 Posts
manuals do mention, "When towing more than 3,500 lbs (1,590 kg), use of gasoline with a pump octane number of 87 or higher is recommended.", but that is the same recommendation even when not towing.
it’s that mention of 87 octane or higher that will get you and are not called out clearly! Lawyer speak for you are up to your own defenses on this! I might consider running a little higher octane if towing for long distances. But that is up to me!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
548 Posts
Standard regular gas in Denver and other higher altitude places is 85 octane, so specifying octane without taking into account altitude seems like a mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Standard regular gas in Denver and other higher altitude places is 85 octane, so specifying octane without taking into account altitude seems like a mistake.
Whenever I’m in the Rockies I always fuel up with the higher octane because I know I will be descending soon and I don’t want a tank of 85 octane at 2000 feet elevation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts