Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
569 Posts
It ain't the Ridgeline. It's the dealers. Always be prepared to walk out. At least once.
This. I have had to walk or nearly walk out the door several times, and it was magical how 45 minutes later I would get a call and the price dropped a few thousand!! (Of course this was pre-covid.)

·
Registered
526 Posts
It takes time and effort to close a good deal, especially now. You need to convince the dealer to sell you the vehicle on your terms. This takes time, effort and patience. You have to be willing to walk, but you cant just throw ultimatums at them. In this market they will just send you on your way.

I let the sales guy, sales manager and F&I manager all pitch me and try to convince me their deal was the right one. I pitched them my deal and worked them into it. Even once the deal was roughed out, in the F&I office I gave the manager the respect by letting him pitch me all his products. I calmly pushed back yet still engaged in dialog. All in I probably had 4 hours of straight negotiating invested. This is real face to face deal making, not emails/texts.

The same skills needed to SELL something are the same skills to BUY something.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I hate going to car lots, but I love it when I tell a sales man more about a vehicle than they know and their mouths drop open.
I do enjoy this quite a lot. I research the heck out of vehicles and always download the brochure and know what trim levels have what. I actually went to look at a new van this week and had to bite my tongue a little as I clearly knew more than the sales guy.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
I like to take care of everything remotely so that I don't have to walk out. :)
One of the main problems today, is that there are literally NO vehicles to test drive and most customers are waiting at least a month for a vehicle to arrive for purchase. They are not able to get a solid trade-in number from the dealer until the vehicle is on the lot, because the prices are fluctuating so much.

Then the dealer will low-ball your trade, thousands $$$ below what Carmax, EchoPark, Carvana, etc will offer. That negates the advantage of trading in the car for the tax advantage. We just sold our 2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R with 44K miles (purchased used in 2018 for $32K) to EchoPark for $30K because dealers would only give us between $24K-26K.

While selling the Outback, we did come across a car buying service that gets offers from dealers for your vehicle, and they put you in contact with that dealer. I had never heard of it before, "Welcome | Carwiser" They had the highest offer from EchoPark, so we went with them.

Reactions: 14v6 and gti16vman

·
Registered
810 Posts
One of the main problems today, is that there are literally NO vehicles to test drive
This is the issue we have with buying a new van. Trading in one of my Alabama produced Honda's (Odyssey) in favor of the new Sienna hybrid. Hard to be 36 MPG in a van especially when we can get ~4k less than what we paid for ours 4 years ago, but there are none on lots anywhere. The only reason we are really probably going to do this is that my brother's longtime friend is the sales GM at a local Toyota dealer and was able let us come look at a new one (that was already spoken for), but not test drive it. It will also help that he can let me know when one is coming in that we can buy and said there will be no markup and no dealer add ons (woo hoo). But it is really hard to know if you want to buy a vehicle if you can't test drive one, let alone even look at one.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2,664 Posts
Most PowerSports toys are not test driveable. Lots of people spending 30g's on SidebySides without even knowing what they will end up with. A dealer told me a month ago when i was at the Snowmobile dealership that they had a sled a customer ordered come in and it was 29grand for it. He had no idea what he was getting. He ordered it blindly. This ordering stuff is getting nuts on everything anymore. And no test drives is a bad idea IMO.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
This is the issue we have with buying a new van. Trading in one of my Alabama produced Honda's (Odyssey) in favor of the new Sienna hybrid. Hard to be 36 MPG in a van especially when we can get ~4k less than what we paid for ours 4 years ago, but there are none on lots anywhere. The only reason we are really probably going to do this is that my brother's longtime friend is the sales GM at a local Toyota dealer and was able let us come look at a new one (that was already spoken for), but not test drive it. It will also help that he can let me know when one is coming in that we can buy and said there will be no markup and no dealer add ons (woo hoo). But it is really hard to know if you want to buy a vehicle if you can't test drive one, let alone even look at one.
We are moving on to a hybrid SUV for my wife, since the 6-cylinder Outback averaged around 19 mpg in town. The price difference between the Outback and the new vehicle is only $4K.

Reactions: gti16vman

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
One of the main problems today, is that there are literally NO vehicles to test drive and most customers are waiting at least a month for a vehicle to arrive for purchase. They are not able to get a solid trade-in number from the dealer until the vehicle is on the lot, because the prices are fluctuating so much.
My brother recently ordered a RAV4 Hybrid with an ETA of four months - and that was before Toyota's recent announcement of additional production cuts due to chip shortages. He agreed on the purchase price (above MSRP, of course) and was given a "today" value for the 4Runner he'll be trading - a number that will surely be "different" (lower) by the time the RAV4 arrives.

Most PowerSports toys are not test driveable. Lots of people spending 30g's on SidebySides without even knowing what they will end up with. A dealer told me a month ago when i was at the Snowmobile dealership that they had a sled a customer ordered come in and it was 29grand for it. He had no idea what he was getting. He ordered it blindly. This ordering stuff is getting nuts on everything anymore. And no test drives is a bad idea IMO.
The last time I test drove a vehicle before purchasing it was in 2006 when I was trying to decide between an I4 and V6 Accord (even the I4 was nearly as smooth, quiet, and powerful as the V6 Buick I traded and the I4 got better fuel economy and was less expensive).

I didn't need to test drive my next vehicle and first Ridgeline because a friend had one and I already knew it was the right choice for me.

Every subsequent purchase has been based on appearance, specifications, and reviews.

In the "old days", I would read reviews in monthly magazines or watch reviews on weekly car shows. I would look at cars in person when the dealership was closed. I'd pick up a brochure and go on a test drive before making a purchase.

These days, there's an abundance of high-quality photos, video, and audio of every model. Dozens of in-depth video reviews and comparisons are available on-demand at all times.

At least for me, there's very little reason to test drive anything anymore - I already have a very good idea of what I'm buying before it is delivered.

·
Registered
810 Posts
We are moving on to a hybrid SUV for my wife, since the 6-cylinder Outback averaged around 19 mpg in town. The price difference between the Outback and the new vehicle is only $4K.
My wife's commute is 3 tenths of a mile. I told her if she can feather the throttle, she will never use gas driving to work anymore! And I agree, the only reason we are making the switch now is that the price difference is so small. We lower payment (albeit starting it over) and will get at least 50% better mileage. I figured based on our actual fuel usage over the past 4 years, we would have saved ~$1500 in gas using the prices at the time, but using current prices it would be double that. That also factors in a year or more of much less driving than we do now, so that number would go up even more. Hard to beat that kind of savings. And being a van, losing 20-25 hp over the Ody just doesn't matter that much.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
My wife's commute is 3 tenths of a mile. I told her if she can feather the throttle, she will never use gas driving to work anymore! And I agree, the only reason we are making the switch now is that the price difference is so small. We lower payment (albeit starting it over) and will get at least 50% better mileage. I figured based on our actual fuel usage over the past 4 years, we would have saved ~$1500 in gas using the prices at the time, but using current prices it would be double that. That also factors in a year or more of much less driving than we do now, so that number would go up even more. Hard to beat that kind of savings. And being a van, losing 20-25 hp over the Ody just doesn't matter that much.
My wife had a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid when they became more popular, and she loved that car even with the rock hard driver's seat. We traded it in on the Outback because the hybrid could not get up our snow/ice covered north facing driveway in the winter. It's funny how things go full circle. We are looking at the new 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid AWD because we could not get a Hyundai Tucson Hybrid. We also looked at a plug-in hybrid Sportage (not on dealer lots yet) which would have made sense with the tax credit, but it would have been out of our budget. We are getting the Sportage for $350 under MSRP through Costco. No dealer add-ons except for dealer handling.

If we end up liking the Sportage I might trade my Ridgeline in for the 2022 Kia Sorento Hybrid (as a road-trip car - my wife has one day left of work before she retires) for $2K difference, but I hesitate because the Sorento has abysmal reliability ratings and I love my Ridgeline.

Reactions: gti16vman

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
@Sparkland, what's the ETA on the Kia? Congrats, and congrats to the wife.
The Sportage is set to arrive July 17th. If I do decide to get the Sorento (at MSRP) it will arrive July 27th. Two different Kia dealerships though.

I do understand hybrid vehicles do better in the city.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My wife WILL NOT set foot in a dealership. Barely got her to go (not in the building, lol) to test drive the Ridgeline. She said she liked it, no objection from her about buying it as long as she did NOT have to go there again.

I told her I don't like dealing with them either, but at that time (2019) I knew via the ROC what everyone was paying, and when they gave me a quote that was higher.than that I just said "I know that people are paying X, and I can go elsewhere to do that", and bam, they re-cut the quote and I was outta there quickly after that. That was 2.5 years ago though, and I realize we're now in some crazier times.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
My wife WILL NOT set foot in a dealership. Barely got her to go (not in the building, lol) to test drive the Ridgeline. She said she liked it, no objection from her about buying it as long as she did NOT have to go there again.

I told her I don't like dealing with them either, but at that time (2019) I knew via the ROC what everyone was paying, and when they gave me a quote that was higher.than that I just said "I know that people are paying X, and I can go elsewhere to do that", and bam, they re-cut the quote and I was outta there quickly after that. That was 2.5 years ago though, and I realize we're now in some crazier times.
My wife is exactly the same way. I can't even get her to go to the dealership and take a look at the same.model we will be getting her. Crazy.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
For some reason, I just can't compare a Hyundai or Kia to a Honda or Toyota.
I'm far more open to other brands now than I have been in the past and even though Hyundai and Kia are much more palatable now, I still couldn't bring myself to spend my own money on one.

The only brands I am comfortable spending my own money on are Mazda, Toyota, and Honda (and that last one has been on thin ice for a while).

·
Registered
22 Ridgeline Touring
154 Posts
I'm far more open to other brands now than I have been in the past and even though Hyundai and Kia are much more palatable now, I still couldn't bring myself to spend my own money on one.

The only brands I am comfortable spending my own money on are Mazda, Toyota, and Honda (and that last one has been on thin ice for a while).
Me as well, when we were shopping for our Lexus GX460 we had relatives say we should check out the Palisade, nope, $65k on a Hyundai, hell to the no. Same thing when I was shopping for the RL, buddy told me to check out the Sante Fe?? or whatever, nope, can't do it. Not a badge whore or anything but have heard and read way too many horror stories about Kyunday

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
Me as well, when we were shopping for our Lexus GX460 we had relatives say we should check out the Palisade, nope, $65k on a Hyundai, hell to the no. Same thing when I was shopping for the RL, buddy told me to check out the Sante Fe?? or whatever, nope, can't do it. Not a badge whore or anything but have heard and read way too many horror stories about Kyunday

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I agree with what you are saying, but when I have to pay $4K more for a 4-year old Toyota or Honda, with far fewer features, it makes buying either a Hyundai or Kia more palatable.

I feel the same way about Ford, VW, Chrysler, and Chevrolet - no thank you.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts