Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should be able to get this right, but it never hurts to ask for a second opinion!

I'm prepping for another marathon (7-8 week) road trip across the country. FYI we'll be stopping in Utah, Colorado, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Maryland. (not in that order)

So as I'm prepping for the trip, I'm wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I've got about 150K on our 2006 RL, and "most" scheduled services have been performed. This is what I'm addressing pre-trip:

- Oil, trans, coolant, P/S fluids all checked.... probably suck & fill P/S just for grins. None of the others are due, and I'll hit an oil change interval on the road no matter what, so I'm not changing anything prior... just checking levels.
- Brake fluid bleed / fluid replace (never been done... shame on me).
- Hoses/belt check... they look pretty good... clamps still look like new (thank you So Cal weather gods), but I'll give 'em a closer look yet. Serp belt was changed with TB @ 105K, and looks fine.
- Tonneau seal.... I'm going to try to see if there's not something I can do to 'enhance' the seal around the side of the Retrax cover we have on it. It doesn't get too much leaking back there (only a bit around the sides), but it would be nice if I could get it to stay no-kidding dry back there. (IDEAS??)
- Alignment .... just seems like I should get this checked, since I haven't in a while. May be fine... no symptoms, but can't hurt to be sure.
- Adjust Valves.... I just feel like this is due, and mileage may be not quite as good as in the past; but that's always hard to tell, given varying driving conditions. Anyway, again, it can't hurt and will likely help in general.
- Injector cleaner (Canned tune-up, Italian tune-up, whatever). I like to dump a couple of cans in there every once in a while just to blow out the webs so to speak.
- Seat fix.... I still haven't gotten the front seat bolster redone, and I'm afraid this is lower on the priority list... might not get done even yet.
- XM renewal.... will be running out soon. Don't know if I'll get "the deal", but would be nice to have on the road. (Navi disc is only 1 year old, so I'm fine with that)
- Check cabin & air filters
- Headlights polished (way overdue to get these cleaned up)
- Wiper blades (just to take along as back-up)
- Front axle boots &/or clamps (I've got significant seepage (spattering) that dictates attention in this area). Need to get this done.

SOooooo, anything else you fine folks can think of that I maybe should be attending to before hitting the road about a month from now??? I just don't want to get out there on the road & ask myself, "why didn't you address that before you left you big dummy?" ! ! !

Thanks In Advance :act030: :act024: :act062::act024: :act030:

·
Registered
75 Posts
A good camera and lots of memory for it! :)

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
If you call Sirius XM and tell them you wish to cancel they will offer you the deal. Just say you can't afford it (if you are not too proud) :)

Try deet bug spray on the headlamps. It cleans the yellow right off with minimum elbow grease.

Pretty neat that you can take a 150K miler RL on sure a long trip. Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Off topic.
When are you hitting Maryland ?
What part of Maryland ?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
To answer your question, a cheap scan tool is never a bad road trip companion. If for anything so if you do get a code you know if you can press on or pull it over.

That and I didnt see check tire pressure on your list, but I will ASSUME that was a given.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,332 Posts
You didn't mention the condition of your tires and brakes. Obviously make sure those are up to snuff.

Someone mentioned a scan tool. It might be interesting to get a trip computer like a scangauge. It can tell you about any engine codes as well as instantaneous gas mileage etc. You could also use your current (or even an old one ) smart phone with app and a bluetooth obd plug in to do the same thing. Might be useful and fun?

Have you replaced your radiator yet?

When you do the front axles have them check the control arm bushings, particularly the compliance bushing. Mine are due at 110k but I have worked her hard. Also make sure the endlinks (front and rear) are still ball in socket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
might I suggest something like this as an alternative to having to put on the spare.

I have it usually for my motorcycle trips....but works great for almost all tires.

be safe and good luck. ;)

Jb

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
- Injector cleaner (Canned tune-up, Italian tune-up, whatever). I like to dump a couple of cans in there every once in a while just to blow out the webs so to speak.
Rereading this thread, I do have one suggestion on Injection Cleaner. Take the bottles/cans with you. That way, when you know, "OK" the next 400 miles are wide open Freeway, use it then. I've read that the best time to do this is when you can run most of the tank you've filled it with you can be running WOT and a completely "Hot" engine.

I've done this on Trips to Arizona, Utah and even Las Vegas, not only did my MPG improve for that tank, but also several after that tank improved, more than when I've done it and solely ran around town.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Off topic.
When are you hitting Maryland ?
What part of Maryland ?
Columbia... will be there a week or 2 ... might take a day or 2 for DC.

......... a cheap scan tool .......
.............. check tire pressure..........
Thanks for the reminder on the OBD scanner... I'll make sure it's in the laptop bag. I usually just rely on the TPMS for tire pressure, but it probably would be a good idea to check before departure, just for grins

I always:
Check the spare tire to be sure it has enough air.
Check the jack to make sure it is functioning correctly.
I would not have thought of this... thanks

You didn't mention the condition of your tires and brakes. Obviously make sure those are up to snuff..........
Have you replaced your radiator yet?...........
When you do the front axles have them check the control arm bushings, particularly the compliance bushing.......Also make sure the endlinks (front and rear) are still ball in socket.
Tires & Rears brakes are near new, and front brakes are still very healthy (checked them when I did the rears). I'm not planning on changing the radiator unless I see problems with it. No tell-tale signs noted yet (I'm thinking mild weather may be helping in that department). Yes Thanks, I'll check the sway bar bushings & end links... and have the shop take a look at the others.

might I suggest something like this as an alternative to having to put on the spare. ........
I won't be getting anything new, but this reminds me that it wouldn't hurt to pack my 'plug kit' just in case. I guess it would be good to have a 12V pump, but I think I'll risk being without.... I've always got AAA (long range version).

Boy am I glad I posted this request for helpful ideas. Sometimes one brain just isn't enough. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I put some replies up above in bold text. Thanks All!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Columbia... will be there a week or 2 ... might take a day or 2 for DC.

!
PM me if you get bored or something. I know a GREAT place for ribs. I am about twenty minutes from Columbia.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts