Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback about using a pressure washer on a vehicle. I've heard different things, including how pressure washers can take paint off after continued use. Any truth to this? I was thinking about buying a lower pressure (1300-1600) so I can use it on my car as well as around the yard.

What's the consensus?

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have an awesome Honda powered pressure washer, but only use it at low pressure when gunking out the engine compartment. I would never use it on the finish.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Boy, no kidding. I just bought a Honda engine-equipped pressure washer. I haven't used it yet but it's a little scary when the owner's manual talks about "injection injuries" caused by close encounters with your skin. Of course, mine has the ability to pump out 2750 PSI. However, I'd recommend you stick to elbow grease when washing the gunk off your RL.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
3750, baby. :) It will drill a hole in concrete with the 0 degree nozzle. I don't know what it could do to sheet metal but I don't want to find out.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My personal opinion.... No, No, NO! A thousand times NO! Never on the finish. I have one too, but heve never used it to wash a vehicle. Rather than go through all of the hook-up and set-up for the pressure washer, if you want an easy and quick way to wash the car or truck, get one of those wash mits / mops on a stick. Target has a decent one made by rubbermaid, I think. A bucket of clean car wash like McGuires Gold Class Car wash and the wash mit on a stick and you can do the whole car or truck in no time. The most important thing is to rinse often, rinse some more, and rinse again. Never let the wash mit return to the clean wash bucket o'suds without rinsing it with the hose. Dont let water dry on the car. Dry it with a microfiber towel or shammy. For what it's worth, The Mr. Clean system works as advertised. Much easier than a pressure washer. The final rinse uses a filter cartridge that uses very soft / deionized water for a spot free surface. It says that you do not need to dry after using the final filtered rinse but I dry my black Rdgeline with a microfiber towel anyway. It goes much faster and easier than just our very hard hose water and really does leave a spot free finish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I bought my 2300 psi gas powered I thought I might be able to clean my CRV with it. Not so possible, dirt seems to come off your house and driveway with less pressure than it takes to get dirt (or bugs) off your vehicle (this is with water only-a brush attachment would not be a good idea either unless you want to scratch your finish with dirt). I pressure clean the roof, house, lanai, pool, driveway, etc. However, it is too much hassle to use on the vehicle and does not work as good as a bucket and mitt/sponge.
I don't believe my 2300 will take the paint off although as I said, you would almost need to remove the paint to get the dirt off.
If you buy a gas, it is worth paying for a good one that accepts universal hoses, tips, guns, extensions, etc.
If you buy electric, a pretty good brand is "Karcher" that is sold at Lowes Home Improvement.

·
Registered
283 Posts
MM19 - different types of power washers have various amounts of pressure that they can exert. Personally - I would never use one on one of my vehicles. Like Ultra-Hog, I also use the Mr. Clean car wash product and find it to be excellent, especially the final rinse that keeps the vehicle from spotting (really!!). :cool:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. That's what I really love about this site!

I guess I'll invest the money into something else and wash the truck the old fashioned way - have the kids do it! (just kidding.....not old enough yet....but soon!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mr. Clean Auto Dry works great. Try to only wash and plain water rinse small sections at a time and keep the vehicle wet until you do the final filtered rinse. Use a seperate cloth or sponge for any "black" areas.
Stay away from the Mr.Clean Tire Sponge. It only works well on super smooth surfaces. My Michelins just shredded the things after two tires :eek:

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I also support use of the Mr. Clean Auto Dry. It works as advertised. I also agree with the poster that said he still dried the truck. Most of the water is gone but I still go over the glass and any spot with left over water. I use The Absorber towel and it works well.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Keep it a couple of feet away from your paint, and it has less pressure than the stream from a nozzle on a garden hose. The high pressure is developed at the nozzle and drops off quickly with distance.

At 2 feet, all you will get is soap blown off quicker.

And when you are done rinsing, get the leaf blower out and dry it off with air instead of wiping it down. Saves a lot of time! Of course, you will need to do a final wipe to the the last droplets off...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Yep to Mr. Clean and the blower dryer. And add in a mitt and some good auto detergent. No Touch on the tires. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I only use my pressure washer on my rims it gets in the areas that a brush can't get to and keep them looking new, i sprayed 303 protectant on my rims and the brake dust just blows off

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've used my electric pressure washer (1400 PSI) in the spray pattern only. It works very well on the wheels, running boards and tonneau cover. I knock off the surface dust on the finish. After all that, I use the attachment bottle to spray the soap one section at a time, scrub stubborn spots, rinse with high pressure spray. The process is painless and quick. The leaf blower is a great idea!! Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My leaf blower is a two-stroke, and I'm not about to blow two-stroke oil all over my nice clean truck.

The microfiber towels are amazing (thanks Ultra-Hog). One drying towel does the whole truck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I bought the deluxe Mr. Clean kit a couple of weeks ago but haven't used it yet. I guess they're not kidding when the instructions state to not wash your car in direct sunlight. I know that's a good idea for normal washing anyway, but that means waiting until the late afternoon to get started, at least this time of year.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mine goes out of the nozzle. It's a family hand-me-down so I can't complain.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mine's a POS Homelite. But it starts every time. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts