Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new member. I've been pricing a Ridgeline RTS and I'm getting frustrated because I'm seeing these great deals that people are scoring on the mainland for their Ridgeline and finding it difficult to find a dealer that's willing to be anywhere near invoice pricing. I know we live on a rock in the middle of the ocean and that we suffer from a lack of competition and increased shipping charges to get the cars here ... but is that the only reason why we pay more for our Ridgelines here compared to the mainland? Or is the Ridgeline much more popular in Hawaii than anywhere else? Thanks for any input.

Spleen

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Spleen,

Welcome to ROC, Hawaii dealer don't have that much competition between them. Only three dealers on Oahu, One Dealer on Maui, One Deler on Hawaii. So prices are not like the mainland, it about (2 to 5)% higher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I experienced a similar situation 20 years ago while in the Navy and stationed on a ship at Pearl Harbor.

My wife and i were interested in an 83 Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel.

Local dealer was insisting on sticker price, no deal and didn't want the trade i had either.

List was about $35,000

The ship went to san Diego for a few weeks. One night i sat down and called every Mercedes dealer in the San Diego phone book and told them what I wanted and asked how much.

Mercedes benz of San Diego sold me the exact car that i wanted (same as the one I'd driven in Hawaii) for $27,500 and the salesman delivered it to the Matson terminal in Long Beach. Transport to hawaii was $600 in 1983.

Saved a bunch. Best part was when i took the car in for it's first service and related this story to the salesman and sales manager.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 RTL in August. The dealer was trying to rid of the 07's so I got a really good deal. Sticker was $36,500 or somewhere in that area. I got my RTL for $30,000. It was a Pflueger on Ala Moana Blvd. I'm not sure if they still have any 07's, but it is worth looking. Salesman did also mention that all Honda vehicles in Hawaii have an additional charge added for shipping.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Salesman here on Maui told me Honda charges all the dealers the same $ for destination charges. Says it keeps it fair for the customer he says.

I bought my 07 RTL last June for $27,500 over the phone and internet from a dealer in California. I had called Pflueger on Oahu and the dealer here on Maui, both held firm at $32,500. June was the month Honda had the $2,500 incentive to the dealers. It cost a $1,000 to ship but it was worth it, I'd do again. Use the internet and send out e-mails to dealers in Calif. Preferably ones close to a port like Oakland or San Pedro. You will find a better deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the suggestions. Managed to shave off another $800 off the price so now we're the proud owner of a 2008 RTS in Nimbus Gray - paid about $29250 plus TTL plus about $1500 in accessories. I think I did OK for Hawaii's prices. It looks great sitting in our driveway. :D

Spleen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hope some of you Hawaii guys are still watching this thread.;)
It's just killing me, what is the freight charge on your invoice if you don't mind?
I live within a 2 hour drive of the factory that builds the RL and we pay $1,500.00 freight!!!:eek: Yes we are getting screwed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope some of you Hawaii guys are still watching this thread.;)
It's just killing me, what is the freight charge on your invoice if you don't mind?
I live within a 2 hour drive of the factory that builds the RL and we pay $1,500.00 freight!!!:eek: Yes we are getting screwed!
Hard to say. My invoice lists a $695 destination and handling charge as well as a $2995 adjusted market value charge ... so for all I know, we're getting doubly screwed. :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Since I was too late with my joke, I was gonna say that there's probably a sale on used Suburbans since Dog's recent telephone conversation and his brother's more recent "activity" in a vehicle. I don't expect to see that show on any time soon.

Glad to hear you found a vehicle. Welcome to the jungle!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi - new member. I've been pricing a Ridgeline RTS and I'm getting frustrated because I'm seeing these great deals that people are scoring on the mainland for their Ridgeline and finding it difficult to find a dealer that's willing to be anywhere near invoice pricing. I know we live on a rock in the middle of the ocean and that we suffer from a lack of competition and increased shipping charges to get the cars here ... but is that the only reason why we pay more for our Ridgelines here compared to the mainland? Or is the Ridgeline much more popular in Hawaii than anywhere else? Thanks for any input.

Spleen
I know how you feel. We pay about 30% more here in Canada for the same vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just picked up my 2008 EXL-SR (RTL) in Steel Blue today.
Traded my 2006 Billet Silver EXL-SR.
I like the Steel Blue a lot better!
I have owned at least 20 vehicles over the years including 7 Hondas and this is the first time I have EVER purchased the same vehicle a second time!
There are some other nice vehicles out there, but either gas mileage, price and/or reliability issues keep me coming back to Honda, besides the Ridgeline rocks!;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked up my 2008 EXL-SR (RTL) in Steel Blue today.
Traded my 2006 Billet Silver EXL-SR.
I like the Steel Blue a lot better!
I have owned at least 20 vehicles over the years including 7 Hondas and this is the first time I have EVER purchased the same vehicle a second time!
There are some other nice vehicles out there, but either gas mileage, price and/or reliability issues keep me coming back to Honda, besides the Ridgeline rocks!;)
Wow ... that's dedication. My hat's off to you!

Spleen

·
Registered
78 Posts

Spleen
I understand your frustration and recently went looking for a new car for my fiancee. I gave up because they all charge too much and ended up with a pre-owned Mercerdes.

I bought my 2006 Ridgeline from carsdirect.com when I lived in Augusta, GA before moving back home. I caught a bus to Atlanta to pick up my RT for $22,500. I could not get a single dealer in the Augusta area to match it so I went 2 hours to get it. Luckily for me the military shipped it home free for me. I thought about getting a new vehicle on the West Coast and shipping it for a grand to still save money. I guess the supply and demand on being here in paradise on an island.

·
Registered
78 Posts
$22,500 for a RT sounds like a good deal, even for 2006. Congrats on the bargain!
Thanks, I bought it in Sep 06 and I guess they were trying to get rid of them. I could not believe when I got here in Nov 06 and Hawaii wanted $27K for the RTs at the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 08 steele blue RTL for 31000 out the door. now thats a steal. i dont know if lyou guys can get it for that same price, but if you're looking...Windward. Its worth trying..

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone is still looking at this tread. I was wondering on the same issue of Island prices and seems to me that Hawaii is getting better deals than us in Puerto Rico.

I got the 2008 RTL w/ fog lights, roof rack, and running step in Oct 2007 for $40,000. The cheapeast of 4 dealers I visited and bargain back and forth! Even put them to compete among them. In PR, these are luxury vehicles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts