Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely pay much attention to the price of diesel, but I saw it this morning while coming to work. A gallon of 87 octane gasoline is currently $2.25 and diesel is $3.25. A DOLLAR DIFFERENCE??!? I always remember that it was around 40-50 cents more, but not a dollar. I know that it does go up a bit in the winter, but I don't know that I've ever seen the difference be that high.

I'm no conspiracy theorist or anything, but it does seem fishy that this exorbitant discrepancy in price is coming at a time when diesel-powered vehicles are finally gaining popularity in this country. Is it that the energy companies want to get as much as they can for the sale of diesel fuel while they can or is it that the car manufacturers want to push consumers more towards gasoline-powered vehicles and hybrids? It could just be a product of commodity pricing and whatnot, but it sure does seem strange. If I were considering a car that could have either a diesel or a gasoline engine, the increase in fuel mileage of the diesel doesn't come close to making up for the extra cost of fuel. It makes more sense to buy a gasoline-engine vehicle right now.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
There is one other thing to consider, as realtors say ... location, location, location. The stations along our four lane (most traffic) price their diesel at about $0.30/gal. higher than those in town, out of the way.

I just checked gas buddy, the BEST price along the highway is $3.03 while in town its $2.69.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is one other thing to consider, as realtors say ... location, location, location. The stations along our four lane (most traffic) price their diesel at about $0.30/gal. higher than those in town, out of the way.

I just checked gas buddy, the BEST price along the highway is $3.03 while in town its $2.69.
I guess that does make sense to a point. I live basically next to the Pittsburgh International Airport which is surrounded by major arteries of the city expanding in every direction. Even then, I don't remember diesel ever being a dollar more than 87 gas. It's still a heck of a lot better than where it was a few years ago at $4.50+, but it's still quite a hike over gasoline. I filled up for less than $40 two days ago. First time I've done that in a VERY long time. Great for consumers. Not so great for those of us in the energy industry.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
"Great for consumers. Not so great for those of us in the energy industry."

I believe this goes back to the Clinton era and his passage of the North American Free Trade stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I do/did support this policy but ... it eventually put me out of work long ago (southern textile industries) and is ever slowly creeping elsewhere.

The ultimate fact is it's now helping me - and most of America.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the natural gas industry, so commodity prices are pretty important for business. I do wish the U.S. would do more to use the abundance of a resource that is below our feet. Nevertheless, the demand for NG will always be there for home heating and food preparation. As long as it doesn't dip to less than $2 per MCF again, we'll be just fine.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Interesting article on the price difference:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2015/01/01/Diesel-defies-falling-gas-prices.html

“If you drive a [BMW] or a car that uses diesel, [the $3.21 average retail price] is what you pay. But if you get passed by on the highway by ... a big truck, that’s not what they’re paying,” Mr. Kloza said. “They’re paying cost plus [a few cents]. The price you see at the truck stop is not what the big trucking firms are paying.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Notice truck drivers are not marching on Washington this time..........thats because the have the fuel surcharge..........and pass the high fuel costs onto the shipper.

So.......there is no reason to lower diesel fuel cost.

Appears Honda, Toyota and Mazda made a good move not bring clean Diesel engines to the U.S. market.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Notice truck drivers are not marching on Washington this time..........thats because the have the fuel surcharge..........and pass the high fuel costs onto the shipper.

So.......there is no reason to lower diesel fuel cost.

Appears Honda, Toyota and Mazda made a good move not bring clean Diesel engines to the U.S. market.
Quite a lot of politics involved, I'm sure. Nevertheless, my wife and I drove to my sister's in Ohio for my niece's 4th b-day party this past weekend. The price difference between 87 gas and diesel is even worse there. The worst I saw was $1.82 for gas and $3.05 for diesel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
$1.90 Regular and $2.59 Diesel

Regular is $1.90 per gallon average while Diesel is $2.59 in my area.
My car is VW TDI so I do follow both prices.
In city driving I exceed by 33% the EPA city rating for my Jetta, something I can't say for my Ridgeline.
When diesel is not more than 25% higher than gasoline I still have lower cost per mile for fuel and maintenance than a similar gas model.

If Mazda or Honda would have introduced a diesel version of Accord or Mazda6 it's highly likely I'd have one in my garage instead of a VW.
Having said that, looking to the future I see a very difficult outlook for diesel in passenger cars in USA due to emissions regulations requiring urea aftertreatment, high taxation of diesel vs. gasoline, public perception in USA and shifting perception in Europe, and most importantly the improved efficiency of gasoline engines has almost eliminated the mpg benefit of diesel.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm in the natural gas industry, so commodity prices are pretty important for business. I do wish the U.S. would do more to use the abundance of a resource that is below our feet. Nevertheless, the demand for NG will always be there for home heating and food preparation. As long as it doesn't dip to less than $2 per MCF again, we'll be just fine.
Wow..i made huge gamble on nat gas investment and still own it. Bought after it crashed....then it dropped...bought more and dropped again!!,!,

I am a loser..man nat gas is cheap

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow..i made huge gamble on nat gas investment and still own it. Bought after it crashed....then it dropped...bought more and dropped again!!,!,

I am a loser..man nat gas is cheap
Commodities are volatile and, therefore, a risky investment. The cycle of NG prices is a roller coaster. If you can buy cheap and get out of it after you make a quick net gain, you can do well. A long term investment - it is not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts