Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 2006 Ridgeline with about 120K on it.

However, this is how the seller described a problem they are having:

"the rear differential is noisy when going around sharp turns"

I am guessing that is either a low fluid level or the unit needs to be swapped.

Obviously, with those miles, the warranty is not going to cover it.

How much would it cost? Parts/Labor?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
I am thinking about buying a 2006 Ridgeline with about 120K on it.

However, this is how the seller described a problem they are having:

"the rear differential is noisy when going around sharp turns"

I am guessing that is either a low fluid level or the unit needs to be swapped.

Obviously, with those miles, the warranty is not going to cover it.

How much would it cost? Parts/Labor?

Thanks.
The rear diff fluid needs to be changed to verify if there is indeed an issue. Has the 100,000 mile service (Timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, ect) been completed? If not, I would plan on replacing the transfer assembly fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, and engine coolant. All of these fluids can be changed by you. The timing belt and water pump replacement can run close to $1400 depending on where you go.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
The rear diff making noise has been reported before and has been fixed with a fresh change of VTM-4 fluid, as MikeT said. This may or may not fix the problem, but is definitely a cheap thing to try first.

Has the RL in question been properly maintained? I'm guessing not, if the rear diff fluid is old or has been contaminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car was repossessed last month and being sold by a dealer.
The mileage history is pretty amazing.
1st owner, leased, put 35K miles on it in 36 months.
2nd owner, 30 months of ownership, 85K miles.
Was he using it as a cab???? That is a lot of driving.

If the Ridgeline was not maintained, I guess it goes without saying that I am just buying myself a ton of problems.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,112 Posts
Well, I'm sure some fresh VTM-4 fluid would take care of the noise, but it sounds like some regular maintenance was neglected on the truck. The rear diff fluid is one of the most basic and most important maintenance items on the RL. If it was neglected, then it begs the question, "what else was neglected?" Honestly, I would keep looking if I were you. I understand wanting a RL and no other vehicle, but having a strict budget. There are plenty good used ones out there, though. I found mine on my local Craigslist - 2007 RTL w/o Nav with 75k miles for $16,000 plus tax and fees. Total came to just over $17k. It Blue Booked for about $23,500 when I bought it and it still books for about $20,500 now (almost $15k trade-in). Depending on what model you're looking for, you can definitely find ones less expensive than that with MUCH better maintenance histories. The biggest thing is to make sure that if you're looking at one with over 100,000 miles that the timing belt service has been done (and properly at that).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts