Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum and hoping to purchase an RL in the next couple of weeks.

I visited a Honda dealership in Long Island this weekend (after taking a break from eating) and test drove a black RTL. Awesome.

The sale person, although very disappointed to find out I lived in NJ, did her best to sell me an RTL with Moonroof and Navi on the spot for $32,900. She even said there's still room for negotiation. Interestingly, I asked what colors she had in the RTL fully loaded and she said practically every color (except red).

I was surprised at both the pricing and the availablility. My impression before this dealer visit was that the RL was a "hot" car. When I bought my Acura MDX in 2002, it was a "hot" car, at least in Northern NJ. I was able to buy the car at MSRP (they initially wanted $2K over MSRP), but only after some intense negotiations.

Anyone else looking in Northern NJ right now? What dealers would you recommend has good stock and reasonable pricing. I live in Union County.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wilbur-
I played the pricing game between Madison and Planet. Planet seemed a little too "cheesy" to me-very aggresive to get you in with not much on committing to a price. I ended up buying from Madison for $1200 off a loaded RTL with no accesories. I waited until one came in after I picked my model and color from the incoming stock. I have had it about 6 weeks. It seems like there stock has not been moving fast there. I had a great experience there once past the negotiating. The onlt knock I gave them was that it was a little dirty when I picked it up. Thye are doing constuction there so that might be the reason for the little bit of mud I found inside.

My sales person was Jakob. You should be able to go there and do a litlte better on the price-they don't seem to be selling in NJ that fast. I have seen 0 on the road since I bought mine. I think whatever you pay you will enjoy it very much! Good luck.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
WilburNJ said:
I was surprised at both the pricing and the availablility. My impression before this dealer visit was that the RL was a "hot" car. When I bought my Acura MDX in 2002, it was a "hot" car, at least in Northern NJ. I was able to buy the car at MSRP (they initially wanted $2K over MSRP), but only after some intense negotiations.
Ridgeline is the best-kept secret ever. :confused: Saw a Blue 1 in Honda tent at Indy 500 and that was it for the weekend. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
774 Posts
arteegee said:
Ridgeline is the best-kept secret ever. :confused: Saw a Blue 1 in Honda tent at Indy 500 and that was it for the weekend. :rolleyes:
I'm beginning to agree. I've done the trunk/swinging gate demo for lots of inquisitive people over the last 2+ months (as recently as the Memorial Day weekend). Everybody appears shocked and impressed. It's amazing how few people are aware of this vehicle's innovations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started inquiring on internet quotes (thru edmunds.com) over a week ago (5/19) and got invoice prices from a local dealer (Honda of Essex, NJ). I am looking for a RTS and they only had RTLs. They will contact me when they get any RTS models. Sounds too good to be true but I'll find out what the OTD price is when the time comes. :eek: Here is the email:

Thank you for your prompt response. At this time, due to the recent release or the vehicle, my inventory consists of the Ridgeline RTL and above. I spoke to my sales manager this morning after reading your email and he informed me that there is a very very limited availability of any models lesser then the RTL, however I am expecting one or two to hit my inventory sometime in the beginning of next month. I do have three or four silver RTL models, if you are interested in upgrading your original model of interest. The pricing on the Ridgeline RT, RTS, and RTL is as follows :

RIDGELINE RT MSRP = $28,215
INVOICE PRICE = $25,438
E-VIP WEB PRICE = $25,438

RIDGELINE RTS MSRP = $30,590
INVOICE PRICE = $27,572
E-VIP WEB PRICE = $27,572

RIDGELINE RTL MSRP = $32,005
INVOICE PRICE = $28,843
E-VIP WEB PRICE = $28,843

*ALL PRICE QUOTES REFLECT AND INCLUDE $515 DESTINATION CHARGE NOT REFLECTED IN ALL INTERNET PRICING SOURCES

Now because we truly value our internet customers, it is my privilege to
extend to you our special E-VIP PRICE which is at invoice and quite
remarkable considering that it is an extremely new vehicle on the market.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My RTL with Navi and moonroof came in at 33,700. I live in the middle of Long Island NY. My dealer found the color I wanted (steel blue) in CT. The truck will be arriving at the dealership tonite. I'm having the tow hitch installed and will pick it up Thurs. at 4pm. Dealer said the last 4 Ridge purchasers wanted steel blue . Very popular here and geting harder to find and further away from his dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your feedback on your experience in the NY area. My mind is still not made up on the RL. I'm debating whether to keep my Acura and perhaps buy a car (Infiniti's M35 AWD looks pretty cool) or trade in the Acura for the truck.

I'm leaning toward the latter approach because I would get a great, versatile vehicle that, given its size and driving dynamics, would somewhat constrain my lead-foot tendencies. If I keep the MDX for Home Depot duty, but get the M35, I think I might lose my license to drive over the next few months....

My wife, on the other hand, hates the idea of a pickup and thinks the MDX is more upscale -- "why would you want to step down to a pickup from a luxury SUV?" she keeps asking. As cheap as she is, I'm surprised that she would rather have me keep the MDX and buy another sports sedan than get the RL. :confused:

BTW, I love the camaraderie at this forum. The internet is amazing at letting people across the country (or even the world) share thoughts and experiences so effectively!

Anyway, thanks again and maybe I'll be an RL owner soon....

·
Registered
362 Posts
WilburNJ said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback on your experience in the NY area. My mind is still not made up on the RL. I'm debating whether to keep my Acura and perhaps buy a car (Infiniti's M35 AWD looks pretty cool) or trade in the Acura for the truck.

I'm leaning toward the latter approach because I would get a great, versatile vehicle that, given its size and driving dynamics, would somewhat constrain my lead-foot tendencies. If I keep the MDX for Home Depot duty, but get the M35, I think I might lose my license to drive over the next few months....

My wife, on the other hand, hates the idea of a pickup and thinks the MDX is more upscale -- "why would you want to step down to a pickup from a luxury SUV?" she keeps asking. As cheap as she is, I'm surprised that she would rather have me keep the MDX and buy another sports sedan than get the RL. :confused:

BTW, I love the camaraderie at this forum. The internet is amazing at letting people across the country (or even the world) share thoughts and experiences so effectively!

Anyway, thanks again and maybe I'll be an RL owner soon....

Wilbur,

I made the crossover from the MDX to the Ridgeline and have no regrets at all!! With the Ridgeline you get the best of both worlds. May not be AS upscale as the MDX but it sure is more versitile. The Ridge is the closest you can get to having a MDX with an outside bed. The Ridgeline has a better ride than the MDX with its longer wheelbase for sure. My wife was a big fan of the MDX and even admitted the Ridge was a good trade after some trips to the store and home depot.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bellteck,

Good to know other MDX owners are happy they switched to the Ridgeline. You already mentioned the better ride (due to the longer wheelbase). I assume you mean how the vehicle deals with bumps, potholes, etc.

How about other driving dynamics? Braking, for instance. I haven't seen any stopping stats on the Ridgeline, but thought that it might have better braking simply because it is meant to haul more cargo/tow heavier items, thus necessitating stronger braking systems. Can you comment on braking between the MDX and RL?

Also, how about cornering stability?

Last, but not least, how about parking? I think the RL is some 1.5 feet longer than the MDX. Have you had trouble parking, both in lots (i.e., turning radius issues) and in parallel spots? I'm not too worried about this point, by my wife hates to park (parallel, in particular) and she might drive the RL on occasion.

Thanks a bunch!

Will

·
Registered
774 Posts
I came very close to purchasing the MDX before even considering the RL. Besides a very poor dealer experience in Richmond VA, what turned me off to the MDX was it's lack of storage flexibility, especially with a fixed rear window. I love the added hauling flexibility on my RL. Also, the MDX is a 5 year-old design. It's going to look old as soon as Acura updates it.

After 2+ months of ownership, I don't regret the decision to dump the MDX in favor of the RL.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
You know what to do Will. ;) As for the Moonroof, at 6'6" tall I have had ample (none to spare) headroom with mine thus far. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Will,

Better overall ride over anything on road and some off, have been up a couple trails and it was very smooth and a nice solid ride.

Braking compared to the MDX is close. I have not had a real heavy load or trailered anything so I can not answer that type of question but the Disc's on the Ridge are HUGE compared to the MDX so I dont think braking will be an issue. I have had heavy rain conditions and the Ridge really shines through anything like this. This truck is an ALL weather beast !!

I think cornering is better with the Ridge as it feels more sporty than the MDX even with the longer wheelbase. In reality its most likely very close between the two as the Ridge's brand new tight suspension -vs- my MDX with 55K. Both very fun to drive and I give it a 10 ( out of 10 ) for the control factor.

Parking is easier with the MDX but that does not mean its better. The Ridge can pull into a spot just as well as the MDX but its just not as visable when backing out. The rear camera option may help for the weary backers. That said, I think the Ridgeline has better visability than the MDX especially highway driving. ( even with the rear aft pillars ) The side mirrors are much better too. ( and I had a 01 and 02 MDX - Both had different mirrors )

Hope some of that helped, I was a BIG lover of my MDX and knew its capabilities very well but after having the Ridgeline for a couple months now you capture the feeling much faster and each day you drive it you know you have made the right decision from the minute you turn the key. When I had my MDX I even told my wife it would be tough to make or match a better driving vehicle - Boy was I dead wrong! Words dont even come close.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife has a 2001 MDX which is the reason I'm sold on Honda. The main difference in my opinion is that the ride on the Ridgeline is much stiffer. The braking on both vehicles is excellent since the system is tied into the engine which helps to slow down the vehicle. You can really feel in when braking down a hill. We love both cars. I don't think you will give up anything in terms of ride with the ridgeline, but is is much stiffer. No lean in the turns like the MDX and both handle exceptionally well in wet conditions. My Wife's MDX is unreal in the snow and I expect the Ridge to be even better. The MDX is more upscale than the Ridge, however is does not have the WOW factor of a ridgeline. I cannot believe that people roll down their windows at every stoplight to ask me about the truck, but I have not seen another one on the road since I purchased mine over two weeks ago.

I don't think after the ridge I will ever purchase another vehicle except a Honda. My wife is eying up another MDX, but the old one after 45000 miles still looks and drives like new. The MDX can seat 7 and the ridge only 5, but it seams my wife wants to take the ridge to all the soccer games now. I don't really mind. Go Honda...

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Get her into a Pilot and pocket the ten grand.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
WilburNJ said:
Just a comment on this. The Ridgeline is not an M35. However, the ride is soooo smooth and quiet that I have several times looked down to notice I was doing 85-90 MPH! No guaratees you wont get a ticket in your RL :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
WilburNJ said:
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum and hoping to purchase an RL in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone else looking in Northern NJ right now? What dealers would you recommend has good stock and reasonable pricing. I live in Union County.

Thanks!!
I am looking in Northern NJ as well, specifically Bergen County. I know Paramus Honda and Mahwah Honda have good inventories, or they did as of recent. The dealers up in this area have been pretty good to deal with. I don't see many RLs on their lots, but I see more and more RTS' - which is what I am aiming at, specifically for a lease, and the monthly payment on that is coming down as well.

Good luck. Exciting times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts