Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped my other car with my ridgeline was only connected for a couple of sec now the ridgeline battery seems dead jumped it and started right way drove for awhile turned it off and dead again zero light and no motor clicks,it doesnt seem like the battery is dead its just not getting any power to the vehicle like it need to be reseted or something

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,889 Posts
With all the computer driven aspects of vehicles these days, I'm becoming more reluctant to jump start from my vehicles. The jump start boxes like henni linked are great alternatives. I keep the same or something similar in my vehicles too.

With no more description than you offered, it's very difficult to internet diagnose. Check the starter cut relay and all fuses, just to be sure something is not amiss there.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
It's been my rule to never use my vehicles to jump anyone else. There's just too many sensitive electronics now that can be messed up by doing that. There are very inexpensive lithium ion battery jump starters on the market. I saw one as Costco just yesterday for $59.99. It can hold a good charge for over a year and, on a full charge, can jumpstart several times before it needs recharged. It can also serve as a charger for your mobile devices and has a flashlight built in to it. Everyone should have one in their emergency kit at all times as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't keep us in suspense jtonycab, what was the issue?

Like everyone else, I'm reluctant to jump start other vehicles. Couple days ago 20 miles out on a lonely backwoods road I came across a guy with his hood up, asking if I had jumper cables. Hard to say no and drive away. So I hooked him up with my engine shut off and all he got was clicks. Reluctantly I started my engine and his fired right up. No problems (so far), but if you're going to good Samaritan jump starts maybe look into these LiIon jump boxes. I'm going to.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Any chance that during the jump process you jarred a cable on the battery loose? That might account for what you are seeing.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'm guessing the battery was completely dead and the jump and short drive wasn't long enough to recharge it....and/or the alternator is going/gone.

I'd test both

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,602 Posts
This is what I keep in the truck.

http://toolmonger.com/2010/03/01/hot-or-not-michelin-smart-jumper-cables/

Protection from sparking, surges and from reversed hook up.

This is not to say the portable LI ON jump starters are not a good idea.
They are nice protection if you are in the middle of no where and need to get your own vehicle going without anyone else's help. I am not sure that these units are completely safe from damaging the electronics of the vehicle they are being used on however. I also don't know if they have the juice to get large and severely battery depleted vehicles going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts