Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 disk CD changer seems to stick on one CD at a time. I press the change CD button and it goes through the motions but lands on the same CD. Was wondering if the CD changer is just extra sensitive to the CD's (I burn them myself from iTunes) or what. Each individual CD will play but it just won't change or rotate CD's. Anyone else?

L

·
0 Posts
Working in a dealership, I have seen numerous issues with the CD changer and made-at-home CD's. Be careful. They are sensitive. And definately don't use a CD with a paper label. They are the first to stick and get your CD jammed and cause for repair. CD changers are costly.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Perhaps you should eliminate one variable and try some commercial CD's in your changer. The car I am trading has a 6 CD in dash changer and it was very sensitive when new, after a few months it worked great. At first I would get skipping, and it would just skip over CDs, without any work from the dealership it just started working right, and I could go over very bumpy roads without a single blip (which is how it should be).

As for paper labels, if done right they should never come off, but a lot of people go out and buy them and just slap them on by hand and these peel off even in tray loaders. If you aren't going to make sure they are 100% smooth and tight to the disk, don't use them. Losing paper in your CD player isn't a warranty issue for most places ;).

·
Registered
46 Posts
i burn all my own cds and i have no problems..... :cool:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have not had any problems with mine (knock on wood) though I tried a new Dave Mathews CD with a vidio on it as well. It was thicker than a normal CD but it ate it slower, I guess thats what its doing when you feed it. I puckered a little when I feed it, thought it may need some Exlax to get it out, I guess all that high fiber music I listen to helps.

Sure would be nice if this player had a shuffle mode with six discs you can listen a long time before getting bored in the shuffle mode. Its a pain to have to keep pressing the next CD button it you what a mix.

Steve

L

·
0 Posts
captmiddy said:
Perhaps you should eliminate one variable and try some commercial CD's in your changer. The car I am trading has a 6 CD in dash changer and it was very sensitive when new, after a few months it worked great. At first I would get skipping, and it would just skip over CDs, without any work from the dealership it just started working right, and I could go over very bumpy roads without a single blip (which is how it should be).

As for paper labels, if done right they should never come off, but a lot of people go out and buy them and just slap them on by hand and these peel off even in tray loaders. If you aren't going to make sure they are 100% smooth and tight to the disk, don't use them. Losing paper in your CD player isn't a warranty issue for most places ;).
Being a Service Advisor prior to Customer Relations Director with Honda, I saw far too many CD players being damaged by thicker CD's and paper covered CD's. The problem with the paper is after it sits in the player for any period of time, it heats up and starts to bubble. Just be careful.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ladyridge,

I agree, you should be careful. I have had the same CD with a paper label on it in my changer for 4 years straight (I really like these songs, and play them when nothing on the radio is interesting). And taking the CD out it is very warm at times, but not even a wrinkle (but then I only take it out in the winter for a bit to put in a big mix of Christmas music). If you tried to take the label off this thing you would have to buy one of those window scrapers.

Generally I think it is much better, if you want to label your CD, to buy one of those CD printers and print direct to the CD surface or, like my usual habit, just write on the surface with a sharpy and write up a set of song info on a cover insert. It isn't like you see the surface of the CD anyway so printing up a fancy label is really a waste of time and money. But my wife wanted to try out the label maker before making high gloss labels for wedding photos on CDs for some relatives.

I have worked in computer for over 15 years, believe me I have seen the horrors of what people do to CD drives, especially the slot loader drives. Add to that the horrors of what they did to floppy drives when they were popular and common. I have had stacks of old drives I have pulled out of computers because people did stupid things. At least a computer CD drive is only about $12, far cheaper than the changer in our Ridgeline.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
ladyridge said:
Being a Service Advisor prior to Customer Relations Director with Honda, I saw far too many CD players being damaged by thicker CD's and paper covered CD's. The problem with the paper is after it sits in the player for any period of time, it heats up and starts to bubble. Just be careful.
In all my years of labeling CD's, I've never had one to bubble or cause any problem...until I read your message, pulled my CD out of the changer this morning to check it. It had bubbles all in it. I would have really been upset had it messed up my changer, especially since I don't really like that CD except for 1 song or so.

EDIT: I had applied the label using Neato's system, not just hand slapped on for those who may want to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought I had this same problem as well.....It looks as though you should push the 5-6 button to go up or down in the cd rotation,(with the little + & - signs) and when I did that it just went to the same cd.

I found that you need to push the button that corresponds to the cd location i.e. button 1 for cd 1, etc. I only had 3 cd's in at the time and as there was no cd in either the 5 or 6 slot it kept returning to the same cd.

clear as mud? The manual is no help.

·
Registered
774 Posts
So far I've had no problems with the changer. I also burn my own CD's, not from a computer but using a Harmon Kardon audio CD recorder. Although my Ridgeline's CD player has had zero problems reading these homemade CD's, my prior car ('04 Accord coupe) used to skip forward frequently on homemade CD's but NEVER on a factory CD. It's actually quite amazing that car CD changers work as well as they do. The environment is harsh with extreme temperature changes- this usually doesn't bode well for something as mechanical as a changer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hold the phone! If you burnded them from itunes the music is most likely in a format that the cd player won't read/play (MP3) ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
jch,

iTunes has a function for creating an Audio CD. It will actually convert your AAC/MP3 audio files into WAV files which are then pushed to the CD as CD audio tracks. These can be played in just about every CD player that supports CD-R or CD-RW media. You can also use iTunes to burn a CD of MP3s that can be played in a device supporting MP3s.

But in this case the person who originally posted did state that each CD works fine by itself, just not the changer function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all who replied, I'm going to load up 6 cd's that were "store bought" to eliminate that variable, and on the chance that my limited ability to operate the controls of the changer is the problem, will try pressing the corresponding number button instead of the +/- buttons. That sort of made sense, since the +/- buttons changing the XM channels within their channel categories ? ? ? maybe selecting the CD slot is done differently.... Will let everyone know.

Thanks for all the feedback!

JP

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know any way to select a CD other than to push the corresponding numbered button on the receiver (or in the Nav screen panel, if so equipped).

It was my belief that pushing the +/- button changed the track on the individual CD, not the CD, and the fast forward/rev button skipped ahead within the song itself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
JPColter said:
...will try pressing the corresponding number button instead of the +/- buttons. That sort of made sense, since the +/- buttons changing the XM channels within their channel categories ? ? ?
JP
This may be a clue. I'm not sure what the Disk- and Disk+ are for on the buttons, but they share the same button as #5 and #6. I use the buttons 1 through 6 to change the CD. If I were to try to say push the Disk+ button it would load disk 6. If I push Disk+ again (your logic of next disk) it would load disk 6 again. I hope this makes sense. If you want disk 2, push the button marked 2. :cool:
Good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have no past experience w/car changers: are there any issues w/just leaving your CDs (no paper labels for ME!!!!) loaded into the changer? Maybe is too early to tell w/the Ridge i.e. we don't know how much heat is inside there, but again I have no history, nor do I know what the mechanism/storage is actually like.

Is it as safe to leave the discs in the changer as to pull them out and store in jewel cases?? :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
laserfan, No reason not to leave the discs in the unit, as this is one of the conveniences of having the changer. Less handling of discs the better. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts