Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am posting this thread after 4 phone calls to back-industries support. They told me the problem like mine do happen but after 3 weeks of waiting for "right" brackets I got exactly same one. The issue is only with back brackets, angle is perfect fit but holes in bracket are about 1/4" far from wall than threads in bed! Is there a way to adjust panels in the bed or I should drill brackets? Did anyone install Backflip on 2018 Ridgeline yourself?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,148 Posts
Several people have had that same problem on several different Bak covers. You need to get the bolt started and then when you tighten it up the alignment should be fine. You won't be able to get the bracket perfectly aligned until you tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several people have had that same problem on several different Bak covers. You need to get the bolt started and then when you tighten it up the alignment should be fine. You won't be able to get the bracket perfectly aligned until you tighten the bolts.
Thanks for advice. The second picture shows my attempt to do that. Bolt gets jammed, really tight. I guess with second set of bolts and brackets I would go all the way down until it snaps in or thread strips off.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
146 Posts
I had the same problem on my Revolver X2 install. I contacted BAK and they sent a new bracket with larger holes. I ended up using the original ones since I already had them installed. Just needed to push hard and crank down the bolts. The reason why I didn't use the bracket with the larger holes is because it won't force the rails as far outward as possible. If I remember correctly, the rails weren't parallel on my truck. For some reason, towards the front was wider than the rear by about 1/4". Still worked out ok for the Revolver X2.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same issue observed here. I have the MX4. The shop that installed the cover forgot to reattach the tie downs so I had to reinstall them myself. Had fun trying to get the bolts back in and worried about cross threading them doing it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for sharing tricks. I managed to finish installation as well.
First to force bolt in was not good idea. If someone wants to see jammed bolt he is better off to get a cheap M8-1.25 bolt from Homedepot for the test.
Second, it is not difficult to widen the holes to match actual bolt positions.
I used Rotozip with "Tungsten Carbide Cutter for Steel" bit. Wrong tool for the job. You need to be very careful with pressure and angle while cutting, the bit got broken after first bracket was done. Than I used round double cut file to finish holes in second bracket. The bracket is made from mild steel so regular hand file is sufficient. Most time was spent on transfer bolt positions into the bracket. Use paper templates, measure 7 times and cut once! :) You want to keep snug fit of bracket against side wall with widen holes. In total I had to spend all Saturday going back and forth with paper templates. But the result is super rewarding.

One of the holes in front (used by bolt attaches cover to rails) was also way off. Used knife and fine file to fix it. I'd like to expect more for the $1,000 from "made in USA" product but reality is different. Be ready to drill, file and spend your time on accurately measuring where the wholes should be.

The bottom line - the problem is in BakFlip engineering. There is no adjustment in bracket to account for Honda's production play in mounting holes. On good side, I drove with BakFlip F1 cover last 2 winter months, parked outside all the time - no problem. We got few snow storms and freezing rains here in Michigan - so far the cover holds very well. Just few drops of water made inside from the back gate. The opening at the back is by Honda design, the space between side of back gate and bed walls is left intentionally. Plus some small amount of water went through the drain tubing in front (by design). If someone needs absolute dry and no dust conditions try bed liner from BakFlip. To me it is overkill. BakFlip F1 is light and does very good job protecting my shopping bugs from winter. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had the same issue. Drilled them out and it worked fine. How about the drains. With coating on the bed, i do not see anywhere to run the hoses.
I dropped mine by the conner, next to drainage hole. Surprisingly tubes stay where you drop them - the plastic is quite rigid and I don't go off-road. Ideally you want to find drainage opening on the side wall (closed by plastic inserts and route tubes there). The water goes in the drains only at heavy rain. I saw no water goes from drain tubes after regular rain. So, don't worry about flood in your bed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts