Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I experienced a serious problem with my brand new RL. After driving for 5 minutes at 35 mph, the dashboard instrument panel lit up like a xmas tree, and error messages began displaying on the multi-display screen. All messages displayed in amber and were preceded by a warning tone. They began with ACC Adaptive Cruise Control Problem, then AWD All Wheel Drive System Problem, followed by the VSA, CMBS, and others. The messages were constant and would loop continuously. The vehicle still seemed to drive normal, but I had no way to verify that the various systems were working. Blind spot monitoring still worked on both sides. I purposely tested the LKAS feature and it did NOT work. Soon I reached a location where I could pull over. While attempting to shut off the vehicle, it took 4 presses of the start/stop button to turn off the engine. A single push started the engine, but the error messages began displaying again. It seemed like for every instrument panel icon illuminated, a corresponding warning was displayed in the multi-display screen. I contacted the Honda dealership and they told me to bring the truck in. Drove into the repair bay, left the vehicle running so they could see the looping error messages, showed them the attempts to shut off the engine, then restarted the truck so the errors could be viewed. A technician said it might be the battery, or the start/stop button. They didn't know for sure b/c they had never seen anything like this before. I voiced my concern that the truck was brand new, with 463 miles logged. I also engaged in a conversation with my salesman explaining my disappointment, and the need for something to be done to make amends in some way. I left the truck and returned home in my wife's car. Soon the repair guy called and said after they hooked up the truck to the computer, they were able to clear all the messages, but two remained. The wheel sensor and speed sensor. Nothing had displayed on the dash with re: to these conditions. The tech said they are messages that appear in their diagnostic testing. Replacement sensors were ordered and be would over-nighted to the dealership. They will call Friday to let me know if these sensors were the culprits. So now I'm left to fess up to the wife that I may have been premature in buying too early as many on this forum had warned. My VIN was 1691. I will post the resolution when it happens. Damn!

·
Registered
246 Posts
It could be the TPMS. I got a flat and had a similar issue. Once the tire dropped below pressure I started getting warnings for all the Honda Sight stuff. Once the tire was repaired the systems started to come back online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I experienced a serious problem with my brand new RL. After driving for 5 minutes at 35 mph, the dashboard instrument panel lit up like a xmas tree, and error messages began displaying on the multi-display screen. All messages displayed in amber and were preceded by a warning tone. They began with ACC Adaptive Cruise Control Problem, then AWD All Wheel Drive System Problem, followed by the VSA, CMBS, and others. The messages were constant and would loop continuously. The vehicle still seemed to drive normal, but I had no way to verify that the various systems were working. Blind spot monitoring still worked on both sides. I purposely tested the LKAS feature and it did NOT work. Soon I reached a location where I could pull over. While attempting to shut off the vehicle, it took 4 presses of the start/stop button to turn off the engine. A single push started the engine, but the error messages began displaying again. It seemed like for every instrument panel icon illuminated, a corresponding warning was displayed in the multi-display screen. I contacted the Honda dealership and they told me to bring the truck in. Drove into the repair bay, left the vehicle running so they could see the looping error messages, showed them the attempts to shut off the engine, then restarted the truck so the errors could be viewed. A technician said it might be the battery, or the start/stop button. They didn't know for sure b/c they had never seen anything like this before. I voiced my concern that the truck was brand new, with 463 miles logged. I also engaged in a conversation with my salesman explaining my disappointment, and the need for something to be done to make amends in some way. I left the truck and returned home in my wife's car. Soon the repair guy called and said after they hooked up the truck to the computer, they were able to clear all the messages, but two remained. The wheel sensor and speed sensor. Nothing had displayed on the dash with re: to these conditions. The tech said they are messages that appear in their diagnostic testing. Replacement sensors were ordered and be would over-nighted to the dealership. They will call Friday to let me know if these sensors were the culprits. So now I'm left to fess up to the wife that I may have been premature in buying too early as many on this forum had warned. My VIN was 1691. I will post the resolution when it happens. Damn!
Had the same thing happen when had about 130 miles on my new truck but mine started with cold starts in the morning. Took multiple tries, but ultimately replacing a "spool valve" seems to have done the trick. Earlier attempt by replacing a "rocker arm switch" that controls the spool valve did not work. Was getting ready to use lemon laws in California, but all seems well. Contacted the factory during the this time and eventually got a 8yr/120K extended warranty with 0 deductible for my troubles.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It is my suspicion that sensors of this ilk (speed sensor, wheel sensor, yaw sensor?, etc.) are what's causing G2 power balk episodes when accelerating out a turn.... an issue defined in another thread.

I wonder if they don't have a problem with either component compatibility or system design in that are.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My vin is close to yours so i'll keep an eye out. When a similar problem like this occurred on a different vehicle, we found it was the main wire harness to the left of the steering column under the dash. one of the tabs broke on one side of the connector and sometimes the gauge cluster would go bananas.

·
Administrator
16,051 Posts
This sounds more like a loose connector, loose ground, or shorted communication line than a speed sensor problem to me. A few years ago, my mom's Traverse did something similar and it turned out to be a wire for the passenger seat weight sensor got pinched in the seat track and was shorting out against sheet metal. The dealer wasted a lot of time replacing parts unnecessarily. They finally had to call a "smarter person" at GM for help, which lead them to the actual fault. In her case, the wiring harness under the passenger seat was mis-routed and the seat rolled over it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: The problem was a faulty wheel speed sensor that impacted the Honda Sensing items. New sensor installed, drove truck 50 miles over the weekend, and everything seems fine for now. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Update: The problem was a faulty wheel speed sensor that impacted the Honda Sensing items. New sensor installed, drove truck 50 miles over the weekend, and everything seems fine for now. Fingers crossed.
Glad the problem appears to be fixed, but dang, hope this isn't a common thing - any failing sensor causes an instrument panel light show. While wheel speed might play a critical piece of information in many of the other systems, not the best notification method. :)

Will be nice when/if they take advantage of the touchscreens and start displaying useful error/diagnostic messages there as opposed to just blinking lights on the instrument panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my Ridgeline on July 1st and I experienced this same issue once on July 2nd. The messages went away the next time I started the engine and things were fine for the next 3 weeks. Yesterday the error messages returned, and it looks like they are here to stay. My VIN is 1853. Looks like I will have to take it into the dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Interesting Thread. I also have a E with about 400 miles so far and no issues yet. I guess this is the price we pay for high tech. It is a price I am willing to pay as long as it is not happening all the time - at least while under warranty. Nice to know not to totally panic if I see this and what to have the dealer look at. One reason to read the forum!

·
Registered
973 Posts
It is my suspicion that sensors of this ilk (speed sensor, wheel sensor, yaw sensor?, etc.) are what's causing G2 power balk episodes when accelerating out a turn.
It would be nice to know if the same people that are having these instrument freakouts have had the power balk issues. That would tend to confirm or debunk that. I can say that I have seen no instrument messages after 400 miles and also have not been able to create any significant power balk, despite many tries

·
Registered
973 Posts
Will be nice when/if they take advantage of the touchscreens and start displaying useful error/diagnostic messages there as opposed to just blinking lights on the instrument panel.
Exactly! Idiot lights are for idiots and I wish they would not just assume everyone is an idiot, even if they are right about it much of the time, they are also wrong much of the time. A little information would go a long ways!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yesterday the error messages returned, and it looks like they are here to stay. My VIN is 1853.
Let us know what the issue was. That is a pretty low VIN, could be in the first week of production. Hope that is all it is and easily fixable. My VIN is about 5500 so maybe a month or more into production but who knows how much that matters? Time will tell.

I wondered just how many 2017 owners are on the forum? I just set up a poll as to frequency of problems. Please vote if you have a 2017 with over 500 miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a similar problem and have an AWD System Problem indicator that shows up after 10 min of driving. After a day of troubleshooting and calls to Honda Tech, they tell me they have to order two new harnesses ( bed and rear differential harnesses). Both harnesses share connector C601 which is suspect. Vin 01288.

·
Administrator
16,051 Posts
I bought my Ridgeline on July 1st and I experienced this same issue once on July 2nd. The messages went away the next time I started the engine and things were fine for the next 3 weeks. Yesterday the error messages returned, and it looks like they are here to stay. My VIN is 1853. Looks like I will have to take it into the dealer.
Hmmm. All four of those messages have a couple of things in common:

1. The camera in front of the rearview mirror.
2. The braking system.

I notice the "BRAKING SYSTEM" light is on. If the vehicle detects or thinks the brakes might not be working properly, it assumes the many of the Sensing features might not be capable of working, either, which might explain why you're seeing those messages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took it into the dealer yesterday and they called me back today and said the the "multi-purpose camera" failed, and they have to order a new one. Probably won't get my RL back until Friday at the earliest.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts
I just tried to search for it but can't find it. Someone else posted about three weeks ago that they had one of these episodes with their Ridgeline and it wound up being a speed sensor. It's mind-boggling how many different possible diagnoses you can have for this overload of system failures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And now another disappointing problem! I was the original poster of this thread. To recap, a bad wheel speed sensor was the culprit for all the Honda Sensing components to fail. Things finally seemed to be ironed out until this past week when I took my RTL-E to the towing challenge. On the road for 80 minutes, driving at 65, towing a 1500# travel trailer on flat terrain, then all of the sudden, the AWD All Wheel Drive System Problem message appears. I could feel an immediate loss in power. Since the previous issue was related to a bad sensor, I decided to reach my camping destination in 20 minutes and call the dealership the next morning, rather than turning around. The next morning the service rep states that if the vehicle drives safely, I could wait until returning home to bring it back for servicing. So we spent the next 3 days driving unhitched, logging 70 miles, all the time with the AWD warning light displayed. Today I returned home with my trailer in tow, driving a total of 83 miles. The AWD light is still on and for sure, the vehicle is NOT engaged in AWD. After unhitching, took the truck to the dealer explaining my ordeal, and disappointment. Will be waiting to hear from them sometime tomorrow. Is this the price to pay for high end electronic gizmos? I'm very concerned at this point b/c we leave on a 3 week camping trip in two weeks. Not feeling confident in my choice of a tow vehicle.

·
Administrator
16,051 Posts
And now another disappointing problem! I was the original poster of this thread. To recap, a bad wheel speed sensor was the culprit for all the Honda Sensing components to fail. Things finally seemed to be ironed out until this past week when I took my RTL-E to the towing challenge. On the road for 80 minutes, driving at 65, towing a 1500# travel trailer on flat terrain, then all of the sudden, the AWD All Wheel Drive System Problem message appears. I could feel an immediate loss in power. Since the previous issue was related to a bad sensor, I decided to reach my camping destination in 20 minutes and call the dealership the next morning, rather than turning around. The next morning the service rep states that if the vehicle drives safely, I could wait until returning home to bring it back for servicing. So we spent the next 3 days driving unhitched, logging 70 miles, all the time with the AWD warning light displayed. Today I returned home with my trailer in tow, driving a total of 83 miles. The AWD light is still on and for sure, the vehicle is NOT engaged in AWD. After unhitching, took the truck to the dealer explaining my ordeal, and disappointment. Will be waiting to hear from them sometime tomorrow. Is this the price to pay for high end electronic gizmos? I'm very concerned at this point b/c we leave on a 3 week camping trip in two weeks. Not feeling confident in my choice of a tow vehicle.
Two thoughts come to mind:

1)The original problem may have been incorrectly diagnosed the first time. I had that suspicion in post #6 in this thread.

2) Perhaps during the repair, the mechanic damaged some wiring or didn't re-seat a connector properly that worked its way loose resulting in this different symptom.

Either way, it's more likely than not that these two episodes have something in common.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Honda tech informed me the issue was the left rear differential pressure sensor (used to detect when to apply torque to the wheel, for AWD). Offered no reason as to why the sensor had failed. Confirmed that when the AWD system failure is present, vehicle only has FWD. To make matters worse, part wont be available until next Thursday. Safe to drive in the meantime if I want to come get the truck, then bring it back when the part arrives. Tired of running to the dealer, plus my wife hates the drive during rush hour traffic. Will report later after the fix. Luck has to change sometime.

1 - 20 of 321 Posts