Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember a previous thread about this but I couldn't find it so please excuse the duplication.

I know about some of the issues with the Ridgeline such as the Wind noise, creaky steering wheel, and leaking. I checked for each of these when I bought my truck. All was good. Last week, after 1300 miles, I've developed the wind noise and today, the steering wheel creak. I've also notice the crackle/static sound on AM radio. Has this happened to anyone else? I've washed my truck several times and driven in the rain. Each time, I check under the floor mats for moisture and so far have not found any but I'm nervous. If you have these issues, did you have them from the begining or did they pop up down the line?

I'm not overly conerned as I think there are TSBs out on all the issues and I'll be able to get them fixed.

My VIN is 5264xx

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Had the leak (behind right front wheel well) from the begining. Dealer fixed it ASAP and replaced the carpet because they thought it smelled musty. I didn't ask for the carpet. Work was perfect. Couldn't tell they had the car. Don't worry. If it shows it's fixable.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the creak in the steering wheel show up about 3 weeks later. I had used Vertrkr checklist (big thanks!!) and specifically checked for it prior to purchase and it did not occur in the beginning. I think Ladyridge left hers and it finally has worn away whatever pieces that were rubbing. No leaks, no AM crackle, not yet anyways.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had steering problems that didn't show up until about 4000 miles. It was lubrication on the strut towers. Trunk lock fell out at around 5500 miles, and lever on rear seat vent control fell off about the same time. All was fixed under warranty although I'm still waiting on the lock. FYI. The trunk still locks via the electronic lock even if the key lock falls out.

Also my first service was covered by the dealer although they never told me that was included.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have recently develoed the steering wheel creak :mad: and have had the static on AM since day one. I do not (crossed fingers) have any whistle from the windshield but wind noise is present at highway speed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I too have now noticed the steering wheel creak. I have 2500 miles and will see about getting it fixed @ first oil change..... :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I just noticed the wind noise about a couple of weeks ago while driving around with radio off.
Ive' read most of the posts on this subject and some say it's a major procedure to fix it (with an area service rep going to the dealer to show them HOW to to it) That scares the hell out of me. Dont like anyone working on my new Ridge that dont know what they are doing!
Does any one out there know of a TSB yet on this problem?

Last Saturday, at 2015 miles, I got the "creaking steering wheel noise" as I drove into my driveway.

Now I'm becoming very uppset, do I have the dreaded "water leak" also?

Bought my RT/L in mid June with s/n 517127 and was hoping it was "hatched" beyond these problems.

Seems to me Honda would know the s/n cutoff time for these problems and notify the dealers so costomers could bring their RL's in for a checkup.

Anyone hear of this happening?

Back to the dreaded "water leak". I live in So. Calif. (No rain)

What's the best way to check for this? Should I just put a garden hose over it and let in run? And where, over the roof, on the windshield, at the front pillars or fenders?

Would appreciate any comments. Looks like I got two of the dreded problems already.

Thanks for any comments.

Joe

·
Registered
459 Posts
regarding the AM radio static...people still listen to Am stations? I didnt even know my radio had an Am dial!
I suppose I will have to drive today with my radio ( FM ) off to see if my steering wheel creaks or there is windnoise. :cool:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
rtboy1961 said:
regarding the AM radio static...people still listen to Am stations? I didnt even know my radio had an Am dial!
I suppose I will have to drive today with my radio ( FM ) off to see if my steering wheel creaks or there is windnoise. :cool:
I listen to sports talk radio on AM all the time. Well really my wife makes me listen to sports talk radio all the time, she is a major baseball fan, and I can go either way.

As to the steering wheel creak, if the creak is what I have, which I have to suspect it is, it isn't that dreaded or that bad. It shouldn't be there for sure but if this is the level of noise that is dreaded then maybe I have wind noise and just don't notice it. Last time I drove I did notice a little noise around the truck then noticed my grandfather had left the rear window down a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To ALL out there....THANK YOU for all your information posted w/in ROC site!! New to the forum and new to the Ridgie...... Test drove (4) Ridgelines...ALL were awesome, tight, smooth, and quite. Made the mistake of NOT test driving the one I bought. Found out that the windshield sounded like a 30's storm window in a 60mph snow storm......and the Front suspension acted as if they missed ALL torques @ the factory. Turns out, front right Strut was leaking hydrolic fluid(hense the vibration and sloppy feeling at all speeds). And the windshield is slightly mis-aligned. Honda's fixes: Specialized windshield gasket from HONDA SERVICE DEPT. being installed, and replaced entire STRUT. Am picking the truck up today and will letchyall know how it turns out....thus far the dealership and salesman have been great to work with. (accept the 98' Dakota longbed single cab they gave me to drive in the mean time.....S*%T BOX!!) Thanx to ALL of you! ;) :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Go 5500 mile, just the wind noise to complain about so far, the dealer has tried to fix it twice but could'nt. I just live with it untill Honda doews a recall ---maybe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts