Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 155K miles on my 2006 Ridgeline. Runs well, but it has developed a pair of glitches.

1. When the engine is running, you exit the vehicle and close the doors, after a few seconds, it will lock the back doors, then the front doors. Boom, you're locked out of a running vehicle.

2. If the engine is off, and you exit the vehicle without locking the doors, after 15 seconds, the vehicle will arm the alarm system. When you open the unlocked door, boom alarm goes off.

What's going on here. With the search button, I found only one mention of the first problem. They mentioned a bad actuator.

·
Registered
579 Posts
First thing I do with any out-of-the-norm electrical issues is:
1. Check the age/condition of the battery. I replace a battery every 3yrs.
2. Remove grounds; clean w/ wire brush; never-sieze and reinstall.
3. Test to see if issues return.
While you're under the hood you may want to check the positive connections also. I disconnect the battery so not to short through the wrenches.
Food for thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look over the grounds, but the problem is not intermittent. It's very repeatable. The battery is also in good shape. Holds a charge well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I once had a issue w/ driving lights. When I accelerated the lights got slightly brighter. When I let off the gas and rpms dropped, the lights went back to slightly dimmer.
My passengers said they couldn't tell, but I could.
One day the Alternator died. I replaced it but noticed that I still had the dimming issue.
I Checked the battery voltage and it was good, even pulled it and had Autozone test it, they said it was good.
The battery was 6 years old.
It wasn't long and the new alternator died. It was a name brand and was good quality.
Replaced Alternator and had the battery tested again. Autozone said it was good.
The dimming issue continued so I replaced the battery and immediately noticed my dimming issue was gone.
I came to the conclusion that the battery caused the alternator to fail as it had to run everything in the car and was constantly charging the battery as it was weak even tho it tested good.
Now I never keep a battery over 3 years maximum. Always never-sieze my connections and I haven't had any electrical issues in a very long time.... YMMV though.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another story about grounds...
I was helping my brother-in-law at his auto repair shop one day.
A car came in that had weird lighting issues.
Hit the left turn signal and the right side blinked; hit the right turn and the brights came on. Turn on headlights and brake light came on, etc, etc...
Long story short, every switch I tried did something else and it was repeatable.
I spent 8 hrs dismantling the entire dash and steering column. Replaced bad bulbs and cleaned every connection possible.
Finally got everything back together and it still had the same repeatable issues.
Furious at this point, I raised the car on the lift, took 1 ground loose from the body to the frame and cleaned it with a 4" grinder. Never-siezed and reconnected.
Everything worked as it should.
Food for thought.

We only charged him 1hr labor, but it was educational on my part....lol

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Besides all the other doom and gloom work and money listed . Mine had very similar issues and I replaced the drivers door actuator before going into all the bad issues listed at the time. A 2 hour at most job not knowing what I was doing and it solved the problem, cost me about $35.00 oh yea and 3 beers.:act024: So if you dont drink you could nail this out in some real short time. Good Luck ,keep us posted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What was your exact problem?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
What was your exact problem?
Windows and door locks not working like they are suppose to. And most important that caught my eye in your post, starting it up to warm up and all of a sudden being locked out. Hope it helps, and I have no electrical options installed.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Besides all the other doom and gloom work and money listed . Mine had very similar issues and I replaced the drivers door actuator before going into all the bad issues listed at the time. A 2 hour at most job not knowing what I was doing and it solved the problem, cost me about $35.00 oh yea and 3 beers.:act024: So if you dont drink you could nail this out in some real short time. Good Luck ,keep us posted.
Just have to agree that I had a similar issue on our Odyssey with a similar fix. Was the recommendation of several on the Ody owners club.

Of course check any previously suggested wiring and ground points, but in multiplexed network systems on modern cars, point to point checking of wiring and switches has more practical limits than older times. Good luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts