Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out how to use my iPhone with my 2018 RTL (color radio, not the touch screen).
I can not believe how poor the voice interaction is, and even worse, how the truck's system actually disables some features on the iPhone, making the use of navigation less-safe than in a vehicle without any Bluetooth connectivity.

First, if my iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, I can not use Siri or any other voice function (except to make a call, and then only to contacts that I have gone through the process of "entering" into my system). Even when I am just using the radio function, I can't get it to work. Not through the phone, not through the truck's speakers.

To use navigation, I have to manually enter an address, or use the voice command before the iPhone connects with the truck. I can't do anything by voice.
It gets worse.
I will get voice turning directions over the truck's speakers only if I'm playing music from my iPhone. If I am using the radio, I don't get any audible instructions, even form the phone (I even went into the phone's settings to allow this). The only way to get this to happen is to disable Bluetooth. I'll then get turn instructions over my iPhone, but can't easily switch to get them over the trucks' speakers.
Connecting via the USB cable/port yields the same results.
To then listen to music from my phone I have to turn on Bluetooth & reconnect.

A call to Honda tech support didn't help. I was told that this shouldn't happen, and that IOS 11 may be to blame.
A test with an iPhone with IOS 10 proved this to be wrong, that phone didn't work either.

This is a serious safety issue. This actually makes it much more difficult & distracting to use the iPhone's navigation than in my 2001 CR-V.

1. Is this how the system is supposed to work?
2. Can this be fixed?
3. If I'm stuck with this, can I have a touch-screen system (Honda or other) that will fix this absurd issue?
4. What is the cost of such a replacement?
5. If I could return this truck and get credit towards a RTL-T I would. I'm extremely disappointed with how poor this vehicle is technologically.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
Aftermarket HU’s have been installed multiple times on this section of the forum, probably the best solution for this issue for you, unless you’re just a day or two into owning it and you’re Dealership is feeling nice

Unfortunately the 5” non touchscreen is what it is, a very basic radio.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The 5" HU is useless, It has to be the crappiest HU ever put in a car/truck, Talk about taking a step backwards,
Just replace the HU with something new and thats capable of bloody hands free use.

Do a search on the forum, Quite a few have replaced the HU, Including myself!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to use my iPhone with my 2018 RTL (color radio, not the touch screen).
I can not believe how poor the voice interaction is, and even worse, how the truck's system actually disables some features on the iPhone, making the use of navigation less-safe than in a vehicle without any Bluetooth connectivity.

First, if my iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, I can not use Siri or any other voice function (except to make a call, and then only to contacts that I have gone through the process of "entering" into my system). Even when I am just using the radio function, I can't get it to work. Not through the phone, not through the truck's speakers.

To use navigation, I have to manually enter an address, or use the voice command before the iPhone connects with the truck. I can't do anything by voice.
It gets worse.
I will get voice turning directions over the truck's speakers only if I'm playing music from my iPhone. If I am using the radio, I don't get any audible instructions, even form the phone (I even went into the phone's settings to allow this). The only way to get this to happen is to disable Bluetooth. I'll then get turn instructions over my iPhone, but can't easily switch to get them over the trucks' speakers.

A call to Honda tech support didn't help. I was told that this shouldn't happen, and that IOS 11 may be to blame.
A test with an iPhone with IOS 10 proved this to be wrong, that phone didn't work either.

This is a serious safety issue. This actually makes it much more difficult & distracting to use the iPhone's navigation than in my 2001 CR-V.

2. Can this be fixed?
3. If I'm stuck with this, can I have a touch-screen system (Honda or other) that will fix this absurd issue?
5. If I could return this truck and get credit towards a RTL-T I would. I'm extremely disappointed with how poor this vehicle is technologically.

I haven't really used any of the voice controls, however the turn by turn navigation on my phone playing through the truck speakers was an issue. I was finding that it would only play through the speakers if I was using iTunes (via bluetooth) or on the phone. I found out that if you toggle the CD/AUX button after the phone has synced with the truck and push Pause to stop iTunes/mp3 music then you'll get your turn by turn on the truck speakers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the same complaint but managed a Waze solution... Now I hear Waze from my speakerphone while driving with radio on, but still have my phone bluetooth connected to the truck.

In the truck and iPhone connected, open WAZE
At the bottom of your Waze screen, see and touch the "speaker icon", then you can select "where" you are listening for Waze instructions from., the depress "close"

A side benefit- Siri works from the phone speaker too.

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts

It gets worse.

2. Can this be fixed?
1. Yes. My 17' works the same way. Not well either IMO. I was able to get SIRI to work but it requires button presses on the steering wheel several times and within succession. A PIA and I don't use that solution much cause it's too distracting trying to do it while driving IMO.
2. No Can't be fixed. Honda decided to use the Iphone 5 and a old OS version as it's base OS and nothing newer is actually supported. This is a design "feature" (also IMO a bug) that they used during the engineering development of the radio system. Basically it's old and outdated.
3. If stuck with the radio you can either put up with it. (like I've done and gotten used to the quirks and workarounds) There is no Honda solution (although I was contacted by a survey from Honda in the first year I owned this truck about a paid upgrade program to a newer radio solution which I'd go for cause this one sucks). You can buy a aftermarket system like some have done.
4. $600 and up for a good replacement with functions that matter. Cheaper will get you less functionality. (Think Walmart)
5. I like the technology this truck offers with exception to the base radio. The radio is the limiting factor. It works but just barely enough that I still would like a replacement. And I want a replacement that I can plug and play. Not some programming of this device to work with that one and have to splice wires. I want it to just work without the pain I guess of the installation. And IMO Honda should provide us with a solution to this. They created this problem by not providing a decent enough solution out of the box. It's their problem. Call Honda and demand a solution I've put my 2cents in with them. I think that's why they sent me the questionnaire to begin with about the new radio upgrade possibility.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
You think you have problems with your iPhone. I ran across this tweet about Apple deleting features on their phones and now not including a charger or earbuds with the new iPhone 12. People were perplexed. I thought the tweet was pretty amusing.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab

·
Registered
71 Posts
GDTRFB - check out "
Pioneer Rayz Rally Mobile Conference Speaker
'
on Amazon. Works on my iphone 8 and iphone se. It doesn't use bluetooth and is completely hands free. I can summon SIRI and listen to anything on my iphone. I have a GPS so I don't use my phone for that. Once you connect this little speaker just turn up volume and you are good to go. If I don't use this I can connect by bluetooth and use one of the buttons on the steering wheel to summon SIRI to read text messages. Only issue with bluetooth is that I don't get the text message tone when a text message arrives. If I use the Rayz - no bluetooth - I get the tone. I believe that is an Apple issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts